Halloween 25th Ann. out at Best Buy!!

Discussion in 'General' started by dvdfan, Jul 31, 2003.

1. shift

shift Hot as shit!

BDH,
    Your probably right,, shit I know one of them is an goodtimes release... but unfortantually I can't check it out at this time,,,, but I bet you are right and I do have partII which I bet is the goodtimes relased one.
    Thanks 4 correcting me :cool:

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Ain't no thang.

3. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Well my order already shipped. ;)

4. marcx

marcx New Member

Everyone who is putting it down needs to see it for themselves. I watched it last night and I though it was beautiful. Now i haven't done a side by side comparison yet, but by just putting the disc in and watching it I was thrilled with the transfer...

5. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I'd notice it each time I watched it. It almost always happens when you know there's a change or a flaw.

6. marcx

marcx New Member

well thats what Im saying--I was worried and expected to be finding all this flaws--but was pleasantly surprised everytime I saw the blue hues silouetting houses or whatever...Basically I am oging to compare it with the extended as I have 2 dvd players hooked up to one TV so ill put both in-cue up some scenes and flip back and forth witht h receiver--but at first glance I was pleasantly surprised and I think people should check for themselves. It certianly no wheres near as bad as the DVD file review...

7. marcx

marcx New Member

WEll-last night I did some cpmparisons and my ultimate decision is that neither transfer is perfect. I think if I had to pick one the new one is my favorite, but there are scenes on the old transfer that I prefer and scenes on the new that I prefer. the biggest problems seem to be with the outdoor nighttime scenes, and the scene where Lauries is knocked down the stares. those are were the blue seems the most faded on the new transfer. I would really love to hear some comments from AB. either way I'm still glad I got it as in most cases I prfer the new transfer....

8. Dunwich

Dunwich Guest

Its getting really confusing! I just can't decide wich one to buy?? I don't own any previous DVD of Halloween and I never buy two DVD of the same movie... Would have like to be able to rent it first but living in a small town where French is the only language you can be sure the English only DVD of Halloween won't find is place in videostore around here. I just want to make the right decision... and its a pretty tough one.

9. marcx

marcx New Member

Unfortunately its pretty subjective. Personally my feeling is if you never had the disc before and this hubub hadn't come up you would love the new transfer. At the moment, I feel the new one is the best one out there but I now acknowledge that it is not perfect. I just think it is the best of the options. For me it mades sense as the only previous version i had on DVD was the extended so no matter what I now have both versions AND both color timings....

10. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Despite all the controversy over this release, I just picked it up today. I've yet to watch it but I'm very excited about finally having the commentary, and the new extras sound great. I've got the same as you marcx, the extended version and now this.

11. Latency

Latency Guest

Testing forum ....... *ignore*

Strange shit. The "Dave -moved" topic was sticking to the top for some reason even though it was moved and people were posting in here. After posting this it became unsticky ..... like normal ... but it wasn't normal before..... fucked. sorry :nervous:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2003
  12. Dunwich

Dunwich Guest

I've found a page with screenshots comparison of the new Halloween DVD with the LE DVD on another forum :

http://www.pulsingcinema.com/reviews/hdvd/

from this page the new transfer seems better on a lot of screenshots... but on some of them you clearly see that it is missing a lot of blue...

13. Dunwich

Dunwich Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2003
  14. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I bought the 25th today. I have the LE version with both the theatrical and extended cuts...the transfer is a tough call, but I do think the LE is better and largely because of the blue tinting.

It's also a picky detail, but I don't like the menus on the 25th at all, whereas I love those on the LE. The commentary is great to have, and so is the doc, script and stuff, but if you're going for just one edition I have to recommend the LE. However, the commentary is so good that if you can afford it I suggest buying both, but I don't really suggest the 25th as a standalone choice unless you're just a casual fan.

15. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

16. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I've been to Best Buy twice now and picked it up then set it back down. I just can't justify buying it as I hardly ever watch the Halloween disc I have now and it looks pretty good to me. Ah well maybe when the price drops I'll snag it.

17. onebyone

onebyone Guest

So I got mine and I am pretty pleased. All the bitching and moaning had me worried, but it looked pretty impressive on this end. Also, I enjoyed the extras a lot, they alone were worth the triple dip to me.

18. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Where does the Restored version rank?

19. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

I just compared my extended version to Dave's screenshots and it looks like the '99 version.(Very very blue)

20. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

that comes from the same transfer as the second AB release. It was originally part of the LE in 99 which had both discs.