Halloween 6 Producer's Cut Vs. Halloween Curse Of Michael Myers

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by fceurich39, Jun 16, 2004.

1. dayglo

dayglo Member

You're exactly right. The second release with the Thorn cover is the clearer version, but lacking the bells and whistles.

Do you have a link to the auction item fceurich39?

2. Cerio

Cerio New Member

I have that DVD you speak of, and the Mojo DVD. The picture quality of the 'best version' isn't what I'd call perfect. The color tint is noticeably off at times, a little bit bright in my opinion. While yes the alternative scenes are in better quality than the Mojo DVD, I still prefer the Mojo DVD. His DVD has all the nice goodies, and plus it looks professionally made.
    Although I'd have to say, the sound in the 'best version' is superb. Mojo version carried a slight hiss, which honestly wasn't noticeable really but I can tell that the sound on the 'best version' is better.

3. The Theatrical Cut of "H6" is the worst film in the "Halloween" series. The unreleased Producer's Cut of "H6" is one of the best in the series.

'nuff said

4. I too have the Halloween 666 : Producers Cut on DVD , and it's like a compleatly different movie than Curse of Micheal Myers . I prefer this version , i wish that Anchor Bay could release this in the near future . The disc is good but has VHS quality where the new cut seens are , though it's still watchable and nice to see more of Donald Pleasence .

5. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I finally got around to watching the Producer's Cut of this movie (Mojo Version). I can't believe how different this is from the theatrical release. The ending is pretty weak imo, but still, overall I really liked this version. This needs a real DVD release.

6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Amen.

7. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

i kinda like the producers cut a little more than the theatrical cut...

8. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

The curse is one of my favourite Halloween movies, the Producers cut was dire, I was just bored shitless.

9. The producer's cut is way better for sure, but I doubt it will ever see the light of day as an official release.

10. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

You never know, they could cash in on it for sure. WB's did with the Donner cut of Superman 2.

11. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

yep one day maybe it will see the light of day when disney finally sells the rights to another studio

12. Wayne

Wayne Guest

This movie defenitly needs a Producer's Cut version! I would so buy it in a heartbeat! The theaterical version just doesnt do it justice, imo!

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

finally got around to watching the producer's cut. its been over 10 years since I saw the original version of this, but since the added footage was so different in quality, it was fairly easy to imagine what the differences were. i suppose this is a better cut, with a little more detail and a better pace. its still a pretty bland film, though. No atmosphere whatsoever, and the character of michael is handled terribly - the mask looks nothing like what it should, and the actor playing him is completely the wrong body type.

14. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Michael's look is a very distracting issue in H4, H5, and H6. I can't help but think that someone began to confuse Myers with Jason. Who knew that a 10-year coma causes extreme weight gain?

In most H6 scenes Michael is played by stocky George Wilbur (from H4) again. He's about as far from the long, lean Nick Castle Shape as you can get without putting a Shatner mask on King Kong Bundy. I think of Wilbur as the "Out Of Shape."

Personally I think the H6 mask is superior to the H4 mask--and a huge improvement over the H5 mask. But none of them look anything like the original mask used in Halloween and H2.

Is the new digital version of the Producer's Cut worth getting if you already have the older analog conversions? I think I already have 3 different earlier releases and don't want to waste any money on this if it's not a substantial upgrade.

Thanks.

15. MarkWarner

MarkWarner New Member

The Producer's Cut is the better version, but the movie still isn't that good.

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Can't help you there. I was watching it off a torrent, and the added footage looked more or less like videotape.

17. shape22

Thanks Dave. It sounds like you saw one of the versions that I already have.

18. mlock

mlock Member

So could someone please provide a link to an "official" dvd-r copy of the producer's cut with the thorn symbol? I'd be interested in seeing it with decent quality other than xvid. Sorry if a link was already posted, I might have missed it while going through all of the posts.

19. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

Perfectly sums up my view on the matter.

Halloween 6 was so flawed in concept that it was impossible for a good movie to come of it. The Producer's Cut is marginally "better"" in that certain plot elements are clearer and certain continuity gaffs are corrected but the whole enterprise is equally rotten at its core in either version.

20. shape22

H6 is definitely a mess. And I would never argue that it's a good movie on any objective scale. But I think both cuts have merit--especially for diehard fans of the series. There's fall atmosphere to burn in the daytime street sequences. The Producer's Cut benefits from more of those as well as some faithful arrangements of the original Carpenter themes. The amped up, electric guitar theme in the theatrical cut doesn't do as much for me. But the released version does have the awesome strobe light massacre sequence to compensate.

Both cuts obviously benefit from another enjoyable over-the-top performance from Donald Pleasence (for those who haven't seen the Producer's Cut, he has considerably more screen time). Sure, he's frail and obviously ill. But Pleasence IS the Halloween series--to me at least.

Acting is a huge problem after Pleasence. Kim Darby is OK. And Mitch Ryan and Bradford English give pleasingly broad performances. But all of the younger actors and actresses are absolutely awful. Anyone who predicted Paul Rudd would have a good career after watching H6 must have been psychic.

I'd argue that Resurrection, the Zombie flicks, and H20 are more flawed in concept than H6. Considering the budget and talent involved, H20 is an especially huge disappointment. Despite Jamie Lee's enthusiastic return, a more appropriate actor playing The Shape, and a strong pre-credits sequence it feels more like a lost Dawson's Creek episode than Halloween. Lame and superficial family drama? Check. A cast of bland teens? Check. And then there's the hideously generic score that makes little use of Carpenter's themes and the non-threatening California setting that's completely devoid of Halloween atmosphere. I'd definitely rank H20 and Resurrection behind H6. H20 might objectively be a more competent film. But it's a terrible Halloween film IMHO.