Halloween 6: Which Cut?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Nov 11, 2011.

?

What's your favorite cut of Halloween 6?

Poll closed Dec 12, 2011.
  1. Theatrical cut

8 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. Producer's cut

23 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Haven't seen the Theatrical cut

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Haven't seen the Producer's cut

20 vote(s)
    23.3%
  5. Haven't seen either

11 vote(s)
    12.8%
  6. They are both too terrible to rank

22 vote(s)
    25.6%
  1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

watched the PC for the first time this year. it was an interesting curiosity. but its honestly been a decade since i saw the TC, so it's very hard for me to compare the two. i can't vote, at this point. i remember being unimpressed by the TC when i first saw it as a teenager, and i wasn't impressed by the PC as far as its quality as a film goes, when i saw it recently. so who knows...

2. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I'm guessing you didn't see the "agree to disagree" comment I made.

But since you NEED a reason.

I was entertained far more with the TC finale. The finale for the PC was not only stupid IMO but was far less satisfying. I exclaimed "That's it!?" when the PC ended.

There you go.

3. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

That was my initial reaction as well. Then I was saddened once I realized that's Dr. Loomis' exit from the franchise. And to think a "super-fan" wrote this. What a turd.

4. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Supposedly Dimension and the director really fucked around with his original screenplay.

Even though the writer has said he prefers the PC he's not really satisfied with either cut and what Dimension did to the film.

5. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I voted for the Theatrical cut, and I actually do really like this movie. It definitely has its share of problems, including the ending and the baffling "we were drugged" scene. However, I think it has one of the most menacing Myers performances, some great atmosphere at times, and a couple of my favorite series kills with the fake Jamie in the barn and that ridiculous but wonderful exploding head! To be fair though, it's been years since I saw the Producer's cut and when I did it was poor quality. I would gladly buy it if they released it officially!

6. MarkWarner

MarkWarner New Member

The Producer's Cut is a bit more atmospheric and sticks to its story all the way to the end, but in the end both cuts are fairly shitty. I used to think the Producer's Cut was so much better, but I think that had more to do with the "forbidden fruit" aura it had way back in the day than the actual film.

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I also haven't seen the theater cut in at least 10 years, but like Rhett sat through the PC last week. Liked the first half hour or so, but it got really bad really quick.
    I'm gonna just go ahead and say both are shit, as I recall hating the theater version with a passion.

8. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

The thing I hated about the producer's cut is that it's revealed that Michael is the father of Jamie's baby. Totally out of character for Michael. Totally.

9. Korngold

Korngold New Member

My cut where Danielle Harris is in the movie and not killed. :p

But I actually prefer producer's cut slightly.

10. shockwave

shockwave New Member

I chose producers cut. At least the plot and ending in that seemed a bit more cohesive instead of uh what do we do, oh I know, we'll have Paul Rudd beat up MM. Neither one is great but that one is slightly better IMO. And Loomis's lack of scars are explained in that one too which was one thing that bothered me when I watched the original the first few times.

11. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Chances are good the script was a steaming pile in its original form.

12. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Only the PC and TC versions are listed? There are at least two more versions out there! I shit you not. There is an "extended" theatrical cut that supposedly has more gore during some of the death scenes. I haven't seen that, but I do have the other cut which is the TV edit. This version ran on AMC a few years ago, it's a hybrid of the producers and theatrical cut. It's quite interesting. I'd rank it above the theatrical cut, but lower than the producer's cut.

13. BBQ

BBQ New Member

I'm of two minds with this movie. I saw the Producer's Cut first, and hated it, because I could not accept the idea that Michael was and always had been the tool of a cult. I liked the Theatrical cut better because it didn't screw with his character(much) but it also seemed muddled and pointless.

But over the years I came to respect the Producer's Cut more, because it is far more complete and cohesive. Also I think the ending was quite ballsy in that it takes the story somewhere that feels new and different and creepy, AND comes up with a backstory to explain all the loose ends from Halloween 5 and the other sequels, AND ties it all in with the Druids and the origins of the holiday. It didn't quite work, but considering the starting point they were given I think it turned out well.

But in the end, I can't accept this as the version of Halloween 6 that "really happened." I consider it an interesting what-if scenario, because making the cult the real enemy and Michael's boss flat-out ruins the earlier movies. So basically, my opinion is that the Producer's Cut is the better movie when viewed on its own, but the Theatrical Cut works better as a part of the series. Thanks for listening to me ramble.

14. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

You sum up the feelings of many diehard fans of this series very well BBQ.

15. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Neither. The story wasn't even that big a problem since the death scenes (let's face it- this is 90% the reason people showed up) and the sound design were almost fun.

The producer's cut just fucks with the story. What they should have been worried about was casting. I have total faith that a better cast could have made the shitty dialogue tolerable.

16. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

You know what they say about polishing a turd.

17. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

Some of you and your descriptions make me laugh hard! But I am not any kind of judge of opinions by any means, just sayin' ya know! I thoroughly enjoy the banter produced here about movies. I am more of a real monster person, not a human monster person. people in general can just be way too gruesome for me.