Halloween 8

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by DopeChamberX, Oct 23, 2000.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

I beg to differ...

Jason X will most likely do good business, seeing as it will most likely be released in August. As we all know, August is a time where any movie can find success, ie. Blair Witch and Scary Movie. Horror seems to also fare very well in this month, and given the legion of Friday the 13th supporters, I am willing to bet this turns out to be a minor sleeper hit, making back more than its modest 11 million dollar budget.

As for the film itself, I can't wait to see it. I've talked to Todd Farmer, the writer, and this film looks to have the same sort of flair that revitalized Part 6. Add to the fact that Mr. Cronenberg will be showing his face in the film gets me even more excited. I think Jason X will be a much better picture than Mou$tapha Akkad's proposed .com attempt at refreshing a tired franchise.

2. evileye

evileye Member

While I like both the HALLOWEEN and FRIDAY THE 13TH series, the fans sometimes do more harm than good. We are a very small number that tend to support these films no matter how bad they get.
    We are also responsible for taking film monsters and dragging them into the spotlight, making the filmmakers showcase them with humor and inane situations to bleed them for screentime. Jason, Michael, Freddy and Pinhead were all characters left in the shadows to scare the leads. Why let them upstage the cast and monopolize the film? Christ, Kane Hoddler said he refuses to let anyone script Jason running after his victims because he feels it is out of the character. OUT OF THE CHARACTER?? Did Kane happen to see the first few films? And how do we let a stuntman get treated like Jack Nicholson on these pictures??

Fearing audiences would tire of the Friday formula lead Paramount to tinker with their mascot and look at the results:

Part 6, although well directed and shot, was treated as a joke and was the first disappointment financially in the series.

Part 7 introduced more hokey gimmicks (a CARRIE wannabe) and fell further.

Part 8 further bbotched the program by trying to experiment with locations.

JASON GOES TO HELL, despite the presence of the original's creator, hit the bottom of the box office with it's body-hopping plot.

And yet people shelled out millions to see Parts 2, 3, and 4, which were xerox scripts of the first (which was a copy of HALLOWEEN with a pine scent attached).

While fans ate up the chance to see Jason in action, most audiences were turned off and the proceeds suffered. What does that mean to us? If they continue to bomb, the series will never see decent production values or marketing, thus killing the franchise for good.

Did anyone happen to see both HELLRAISER and LEPRECHAUN space flicks? Word of mouth killed these turkeys before they were released. Yet SCREAM cash-in's like VALENTINE and URBAN LEGEND 2 continue to rake in the cash by sticking to their painful formula (one that was xeroxed off the likes of the earlier FRIDAY and HALLOWEEN films). Sure these films are mechanical at best, but if we remove our rose colored glasses, one will notice that the older flicks we love are in the same league!

HALLOWEEN H20 was a very smart move concept-wise (that was unfortunately fumbled by hasty production). With some bankable young casting and a few seasoned veterans, not to mention a decent attempt at continuity and style, these old formula's still work (check Kevin Williamson's wallet for proof). I would rater see a serious FRIDAY film before VALENTINE 2, but I just don't see that happening. Maybe Steve Miner could use the FRIDAY series to retry the experiment he did on HALLOWEEN H20 with more time and care. Bring some of the older cast back (I don't recall Amy Steele being buried under any acting offers recently).

Although I think the ALIEN series is getting a bit old, I doubt that setting it as a western in 1856 Montana will provoke anything but rolled eyes!

:p

3. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

Ok, I'm still weeping for Mr. Myers, but these script reveiws were both fairly positive, giving me the tiniest glimmer of hope for the future. your can check out both of these scriptshere and here. Please oh please, let them do the seies some sort of justice.

4. HerbertWest

HerbertWest Guest

The early Friday the 13th films were more a rip off of Mario Bava's Bay of Blood(1971) than Halloween. There is, obviously, the setting. And some of the murder scenes are identical. You could argue that there're only so many ways to kill a person, and that there's bound to be some overlapping but stabbing a spear/pike through the bodies of a fucking couple is pretty distinctive.

5. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I would like to see Akkad select a really innovative director, who has done some low-budget horror, but really has a desire to make a stylish film. I think WES CRAVEN'S NEW NIGHTMARE was cool because Wes came back with a really great concept.

What about some of these directors like the dude who did From Dusk till Dawn 2. Cool visual style, and a touch of humor (although humor hasn't proved itself well when I think of Halloween 5). Still there are lots of director doing small innovative horror films throughout the world. It should be a gutsy terrorfest that really grabs us by the throat. Haddonfield is a great location.

6. MovieFan

MovieFan Guest

From Dark Horizons...

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

If that news is legit I am happy. I was affraid we were going to get a director along the lines of Jamie Blanks or someone like that, and while I don't mind UL, I would much rather someone who has experience with the franchise, or at least older horror films. Rosenthal did a fine job with Halloween II whether Carpenter denies it or not, and this to me gives much more promise to a film which could easily become laughable. I am sure having Rosenthal back will also influence the lovely Ms. Curtis to maybe take more than a bit part. Finally...Akkad has done SOMETHING right!

8. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

The one thing no one seems to mention is that in H20 they eliminated the Jamie character which I feel was a big FU to H4 thru H6. In my opinion they should not have done this because I'm sure people are going to remember these films since to many people they are our favorites. No matter what happens to part 8 there is going to be a problem with the story because they really can't call upon these sequels do to the fact that now they don't exist, as far asH20 tells us.

9. I have mixed feelings towards Haloween 8. In one sense, I think the whole idea of a sequel is crap. Also, the plot will get confused, it'll turn out that the Myers in H2O would be someone like a son he had with Jamie that we never knew about, or some other relative, and that Michael is actually now 60 years old, and comes back with a vengeance.

On the other hand, Rick Rosenthal as director makes the film more appealing. And hopefully the series will end here.

Maybe they should do John Carpenters original idea: Tie Myers onto a rocket and fire him into space. That'd be funny.

Also I have to agree that the 'Man In Black' idea was rather stupid, but I though part 6 was good. It helped show how Michael is resistant to death, and how he was able to break out of the asylum in the original film, and who taught him to drive.

( PS If they did fire Michael into space, the producers would make another sequel in the future where they find his body floating in space, and bring him back to life with the aid of future technology.)

(Or if they blew him up, they would clone him).

OR SOMETHING CRAP LIKE THAT

10. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

He could hang out with Jason that way - after the wait for Freddy vs. Jason, think Mikey's got dibs on the winner?

11. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

Some new info to get this topic back to the top :D.

Dark Horizonshas posted this information:

Halloween 8: Interesting rumour from 'The Writer' in regards to the status of H8, looks like there may be hope yet:

"Trancas International Films, the production company, is in overdrive, trying to get the thing shooting before the SAG strike. However, there's a bit of a standoff in the company.
    Moustapha Akkad, series "overlord," is in a bit of a tussel with Paul Freeman, who is producing his fourth film. Akkad wants to hold off the film until next year and use a different script, having taken fan reactions of the story to heart. However, Freeman wants to shoot with what they have and get it out this October. (Freeman also rushed the shoot of Halloween: H20 and altered much of Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers.) Right now, however, it appears Akkad has the favor of Miramax. He has pitched a separate story which would tie the entire series (minus Halloween III: Season of the Witch) into the same world of thought.

While known for being stubborn, Disney has given the early thumbs-up to his story, as it has the potential to "set the world on fire the same way Scream did," or so says an employee at Trancas International. I felt that this would be good news to fans, who have been consistently negative toward the story and screenplay".

Hopefully, this will turn out to be true. I can wait especially if they want to do it right. :)

12. rhett

rhett Administrator

That is great news! I think the whole michaelmyers.com idea was downright terrible and would have made the Halloween series laughable. Hats off to Akkad for admitting the original idea was shit. This delay would also bring good news to New Line, as a H8 delay would leave room in October for them to put Jason X.

13. Demon

Demon Don't Fuck With Dolly!

I think they really need to give Halloween movies a shot in the ass, they really should have done it last time when they had Jamie Lee in a starring role.

No matter what Halloween movies have always made F13 movies their bitch, Halloween overall is a way more popular series, regardless of how bad the movies get, F13 has a limited audience, especially now after nearly 10 years without a new film, I think New Line is having second thoughts on this Jason X project, in all honesty I think they're worried they can't even make their money back off of it.

However with Halloween the reason they always pump out the movies so fast is that people will go see them regardless, its a more beloved series, and IMO a better series. But taking a break on the movies is a smart thing. I'm looking forward to part 8 now a little more, hopefully Akkad has learned bygod.

14. evileye

evileye Member

If this is true, I congratulate HALLOWEEN 8's producers for having the courage to push this back until something decent can be churned out.

Since Jamie Lee Curtis is still game for participating, I say give her a producer's cut. Anything to keep the core storyline on track and to not let it get silly (returning to HALLOWEEN 6 territory). NAd where is Josh Harnett or Michelle WIlliams. I am sure one of those could pop in (providing PEARL HARBOR doesn't become a cash cow and inflate Harnett's paycheck status). :rolleyes:

15. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

This "film" is shaping up to be a huge piece of crap. As of right now, its a predominantly black cast and Jamie Lee is set to get hacked in the first 30 min. Why cant they just let this die and maybe, oh I don't know, THINK of another good idea for a film. Halloween, Michael Myers, great ideas. Now maybe they need to get some new ones. Talk about beating a dead horse.

16. Tremendo

Tremendo Guest

KillerCanabis,

You seem to have a problem with it being a "predominantly black cast".

That's a pretty weak attitude.