Halloween Complete Collection coming to blu!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Zombie Dude, May 17, 2014.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'm all over this. It's clear they're really trying with this release. The announcement today was probably my most anticipated of the year. This and Prom Night in September, I just want summer to end. :D

~Matt

2. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

From what I remember hearing, the behind-the-scenes footage for Halloween 5 on the Blu-ray included what was on the DVD, plus more footage.

3. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

4. startide

startide Member

Ditto. Sometimes, it pays to wait. :D I've never even seen H6! I hear it's not worth bothering with but I'll be able to make up my own mind now. (Don't even think it's been released locally in digital form and I certainly wasn't stumping up the cash for a video!)

5. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Reason why no Ottoman score for H20 Blu according to Cliff on Facebook:

"That would have required a brand new cut of the film. We don't have the kinda of studio-type budgets required to go back and reedit the film. There are examples of his score in the making of Halloween H20."

Oh! And this reply from Don May Jr:

"Hello, everyone... I'm here to dispel the rumors and untruths that have been spread regarding the HALLOWEEN additional footage. First and foremost, both myself and Billy J. Kirkus do have the footage. Billy has put me in charge of organizing and handling all the footage for him. Second, the statement made by someone earlier in this comment section about how I asked Anchor Bay for too much money is just total bull, and I can't imagine even how that got started... Anchor Bay had NO say in the footage at all. As a matter of fact, they WANTED to use the footage years ago, but could not do anything because everything to do with the film and any extras had to go through Malek. It has come to our attention through mutual friends, even just a few weeks ago, that Malek really didn't quite understand exactly what we had, so he didn't pursue it. He was under the impression what we had were just old clips and really didn't put much stock in the footage claim. Truth be told, after I spoke with editor Tommy Lee Wallace, and having put up a few of the reels personally for viewing along with a lined script for reference, what we found is that we have all the unused takes for the feature film, including alternate shots, blown takes, bloopers, etc. None of this is "old, dirty clips or dupes" as some have reported, but the film that ran through the camera during the shoot. For example, Wallace told us that the film had around a 1/3 ratio for film, meaning that, for budgetary reasons, they really didn't shoot more than 3 takes of any given shot/scene. One of those takes was used in the film and the others (for whatever reason, be it a mistake, flubbed line, alternate angle that didn't work, bloopers, etc.) was put away... these other takes are what we have and there's some GREAT stuff from what I've seen with my own eyes. As of right now, since Malek has recently been told exactly what it is we have in our possession, I would love to sit down with Malek the next time I am in L.A., have a meeting with him, and discuss the footage with him face to face, dispelling for him all the misinformation he (and others) have been feeding on for years. I think he'd be very happy with what was found. There are only THREE people that know what we have. Myself, Billy Kirkus and another individual that helped us log and go through the footage. I plan on taking a trip to Los Angeles very soon, and I was going to contact Malek. There may be something that could be done with the footage in the future, perhaps in documentary form, or a featurette/special feature on a future edition of HALLOWEEN (if you think this boxed set will be the last time HALLOWEEN will be released on a home video format, you'd be wrong). There's always 4K Blu-ray, right around the corner, of course, and this footage would look STUNNING if transferred in 4K for use elsewhere. Just wanted to pop my head in here and set the record straight on this footage once and for all. Don't listen to rumors or speculation you hear from others... Just ask either Billy or myself if you want the real story of what it is, from the people that have actually SEEN the insides of the boxes.There's some great stuff with Michael Myers as a boy, and other things with him in the mask that would be great to reconstruct into new/alternate scenes for the fans and we also may even have the alternate scene of Laurie looking out the window at Michael in the clothesline that Carpenter completely reshot (the original footage was shot on a set, and not in a real house). We also have some fun stuff of the actor, in the Michael Myers costume, fooling around on set, which are pretty funny. And, one of the bigger sequences we have (and we've barely looked at all the thousands of feet of film yet) is an alternate take of Michael killing his sister in the bedroom, WITHOUT the mask overlay on the picture. We could reconstruct existing scenes with alternate takes to show what some scenes COULD have been like, had they been kept... the possibilities are pretty cool. Malek seems like an awesome guy (I only spoke to him once many years ago), and I think there's plenty of ideas for the footage to be used in the future, in some way."

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

The H20 news sounds like bull. Surely it wouldn't be THAT costly to add in the score. It just makes them sound lazy and further proves this set is incomplete because it could have been done.

The other new is great, though sad that none of this footage will be included in the new set.

It's starting to feel like this Halloween set is being a little rushed. I'd rather they take a page out of Synapse's book and take their time, gather more money and do everything as good as possible.

7. Jack_Burton

Jack_Burton New Member

I would die to see that Halloween footage!

As for the set, Im mostly happy. Bummed that the TV cut isn't fully in hi def, but hopefully it wont be too jarring watching it with standard def TV scenes. Extras sound good and the Halloween 6 producers cut disc is gonna be so awesome. This set is way better than the crappy Friday box set at least.

8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I don't even think they have a workprint to work after (I could be wrong), so it would be very time consuming to audio edit the movie correctly. I wouldn't call Scream lazy, they are indeed reconstructing Nightbreed, which is no easy task.

9. Zombie Dude

Well that's my point; they have time and money for Nightbreed so why not this? They could even start a Kickstarter to raise the funds if need be. It seems a little lazy to me.

10. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

It'd be nice to hear all of the original score by John Ottman - those Scream cues are jarring - but that's what fan edits are for. Of all the things to be bothered about, it is kinda trivial. I'd love to see the original Coil soundtrack edited into Hellraiser, plus all the English accents reinstated. Just because a release doesn't include my preference, doesn't make them lazy.

I'm more pissed about the TV footage being in standard def! Anchor Bay had the original 35mm neg, so that's what I think they could have done.

11. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I got a headache trying to read that iceberg of a paragraph in one shot - can someone break that down to manageable levels?

12. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Well, they have to save something for the next Halloween box coming in 2-3 years I guess ;)

13. Zombie Dude

Yes but in this case it's the original score for the film that was replaced by stock music from Scream and Mimic. It's a bit more than just trivial.

14. Steel76

Yeah, I remember when I first saw H20 in the theaters, and I was instantly taken out of the movie, when I heard the stock music. It just became annoying.

Why the fuck did they do this to begin with, when they had a complete original score by Ottman??

15. Buechlers_beard

I appreciate what your saying. It's not something I ever expected Scream/AB to do though. It's always been that way since theatrical. It's slightly annoying, what are Steve Miner's thoughts on it? Did Dimension have final say?

I'd rather have ALL those crappy/different masks fixed in this digital age. They annoy me much more than a couple of cues.

But, yes. Steel76, they do have to save something for the next one lol!

16. Steel76

Found this about the replaced soundtrack:

"The majority of John Ottman's original score was rejected late in post-production and replaced with Marco Beltrami's scores to Scream (1996), Scream 2 (1997), and Mimic (1997). The producers wanted a darker, more Scream-like score, while Ottman's score wasn't strong enough to fit the bill. Some of what remained of Ottman's score was heavily edited and often was used for scenes for which they were not originally intended. "

17. Buechlers_beard

Yeah. I've read that before. Still, who had final say?

18. Steel76

Yeah, they never got those right after part 2.
    Instead of scary, he just looks silly in the newer masks, like it´s part of a parody :D

But then again, I never watch anything after part 3.
    Michael Myers and Loomis died in part 2. The rest is too me, what the prequels are to Star Wars, an abomination :D

19. Steel76

Yeah I would love to know exactly WHO, so I can send a "Fuck You" note to him/them ;)

20. Buechlers_beard

lmao!