Halloween II and III Blu-Rays using original poster art?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Spacetraveler, Jun 26, 2011.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I couldn't care less if Moustapha Akkad's name appears at the beginning of the film. It isn't like he's a producer on the level of William Castle or Roger Corman. Heck, I even rate Ovidio Assonitis more highly. I personally think that the series would have fared better with less of Akkad's influence. I'll be sticking with what I already own.

2. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Me too...

3. DanceEnergy24

DanceEnergy24 New Member

I know I emailed them about a replacement but I'm not sure I want to deal with it just for a simple credit change that does not affect viewing.

4. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Same here. I'm a huge fan of the first two films and I can understand and respect those who feel it's important to have the correct credit and I applaud Universal for making it right, but what I have is good enough for me.

5. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

wow, it just a credit change. what about 2 mgm dvds (valley girl) and (last american virgin) in 2003 both had a song replaced that was quite annoying, now thats more noticable than a credit change..

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Actually, if there's no way to distingush which version, then Terror must be on it. If it wasn't they could say "look for ones without Terror in the Aisles". To say you can't tell which is which sounds like just the credit has changed, although I still want to see a review assuring Terror wasn't trimmed or altered in any way.

7. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I have it on good authority that Shout! Factory is doing SE Blu-rays for both Halloween II and III.

They're also doing Terror Train, The Funhouse and Deadly Blessing.

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

But Halloween 2 just got a blu release and H2 & 3 are own by Universal....:confused:

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I know they're doing Terror Train, but if there's any truth to the other two, I will be a happy camper.

10. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I just got the Funhouse Arrow Blu and Universal H2. Deadly Blessing and Terror Train would be cool.

H2 - really, why? Sounds like a waste on their part.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Shout! Factory said they had another Fall horror title that Synapse would know about because they lost the bid. Rumor mill pegged Halloween 3. Then a couple of days later Don May Jr. confirmed that someone else picked up Halloween 3.

So that seems plausible. Halloween 2 seems less likely to me but stranger things have happened. I just can't think of one off the top of my head...

12. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

That can't be possible. Why would Universal just give away Halloween III? The only other plausible answer is the Shout's sub-licensing deal with Universal. Incidentally, if this is true, someone should tell Shout! about doing SE's of Phantasm II, Child's Play 2, and Army Of Darkness (containing the Director's Cut).

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

+1 for that idea. I'd love those on blu

14. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I was hoping the Shout acquisitions were for unreleased independent titles. Except for Deadly Blessing, that Universal lineup has been done to death. I wouldn't mind an SE of Halloween III but I would be more enthusiastic if it were some kind of alternate, Director's Cut version, not that one actually exists, but anything other than what we've already seen.

15. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

If this rumor is true, I'll definitely be picking up the Shout! Halloween III disc. It'd also be great if they have an overall deal with Universal which might make SEs of under appreciated flicks like Child's Play 2 & 3 a possibility.

16. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Co-sign. H3 is my favorite Halloween sequel, gotta have a blu of that, whether its Shout! or Universal, don't care at this point, but for extras and TLC, Shout! Factory would be preferred.

17. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be the first time. If you may recall, both Halloween II and III (as well as Prince of Darkness, Funhouse, and probably several others) were originally released to DVD licensed out to Goodtimes Video.

Which reminds me how fast I would double dip upon Prince of Darkness: In a HEARTBEAT!

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

If the Universal rumor is true, I'm rooting for:

The Funhouse
    The People Under The Stairs
    Best Little Whorehouse In Texas
    The Wizard

19. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Halloween 2, 3 and Funhouse were on Goodtimes, They Live and Prince of Darkness were Image. I know for sure as I owned all of them at some point. Still have my Image They Live and POD discs despite also having the nice French SE's as they don't play on my BD player. But yeah, Universal has a long history of just licensing out their titles for home video, probably back to VHS days.

Despite those old Universal/Image discs all being barebones, they looked great for the time and still look great upconverted now. Wish they would do BD as well as they used to do dvd, at least they still have the cheap price points. Those dvds eventually got to the $10 bin, but did start out around $30 each. I like that I find their BD's under $10 all the time.

20. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

When it comes to the big studios, Universal has traditionally been the most open to third party licensing (although Disney and its subsidiaries have also been pretty good about it too). I've still got LP-mode VHS tapes from the late 80's on the Goodtimes label of films that were licensed from Universal. Besides Goodtimes, they've also done numerous licensing deals with Anchor Bay, Image and Criterion, and in the UK with the BFI, Arrow and Masters of Cinema.