Halloween II and III Blu-Rays using original poster art?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Spacetraveler, Jun 26, 2011.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

got both Halloween II and Halloween III Season of the Witch blu-rays for 19.99 special order at my hastings store today since it was a special order it missed the strict release date window i took a chance cause it was a 45 minute drive but was well worth it.
    spet 11 is one of my best days ever for horror blu-ray purchases as got killer klowns and tcm part 2 blu-rays in town at my local indie store today as well!!!!

2. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Anyone in Canada get these yet? Apparently Eone put them out here (Along with Shout?) and there's a rumor that the Canadian releases are missing features. Can any Canadians confirm that these are identical to the US releases, aspect ratio, audio options, features, slipcover, ect.?

3. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Badass...got Halloween 3 today from Shout!. I'll pop it in this weekend.

As for Halloween II. The extras are great. The documentary is interesting albeit not really anything I didn't know already. Sean Clark's Hallowed Grounds feature is pretty hilarious. Robert Rusler shows up for a funny little moment.

As for the transfer...I thought it looked a little sharper than the previous version. Maybe I am just being a homer for Shout! but I think the transfer did indeed look better.

4. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Well, they did cleaned it up a bit. ;)

Since I ordered the DVDs of II and III and the III Blu from Shout! (I ordered the II Blu from Amazon), I should get mine any day now before the release date.

5. Chomp

Yeah, I'm aware Shout! cleaned it up, but I know I read a couple of reviews that stated the differences between the two transfers was negligible.Whereas personally, I found Shout!'s transfer to be a tad bit sharper of an image.

6. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Got my DVD copies of Halloween II and III today plus the Halloween III Blu-ray, 2 copies of the H3 poster, the Nurse hat, and a catalog!!!! Life is good! :D

7. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

got both of mine today from deep discount. i oppted for the overnight delivery. so i got them early.. by a few days. and tommorrows my b-day. i turn 40. so thats a nice early present. great transfers. and artwork. very pleased with these.. this should be the last time we ever have to buy these films again... nice job shout. and yes indeed the H2 transfer is cleaned up..

8. ronnie21

the reviewer on blu-ray.com is wrong, the transfer for halloween III is the best its ever looked..

9. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

yep agreed every review i read online and only blu-ray.com was wrong and there usually the most reliable website for blu reviews must have been the reviewer

10. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

Got my Halloween III blu, just waiting on II now. No biggie thought as III is the one i wanted big time. Gonna to have a HIII marathon movie first and then will watch again with the two commentarys.

11. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I ordered Halloween III thru Amazon for $19.99 but snagged a copy of II at a mom & pop for $25.99 a couple of days early. Couldn't resist.

Halloween II looks the best it has ever looked - no doubt. Sharp, strong colors, beautiful grain...all in all a great package. Just one thing, though - I would've liked to see a comprehensive retrospective on Donald Pleasance's life and career, since he appears throughout most of the series up to #6. Come to think of it, none of the DVDs released up to now has had anything significant on the actor, which is a real shame. It was mentioned in the doc on HII that Pleasance had a daughter - they could've tried to interview her. No Halloween release will ever be definitive without at least a featurette on Mr. Pleasance.

12. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

Just watched HIII thought it looked great cant see it looking any better.

13. Pukenstein

Pukenstein New Member

Getting mine from Amazon, can't wait.

14. ronnie21

no doubt they got the tv spots and trailers from you tube? who else thinks that???

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

No doubt they got them from a tape master, certainly not YouTube. They would be far more pixelated if they were just ripped from YouTube. They look like VHS quality.

~Matt

16. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

deffo from a vhs. Iam guessing thats all universal had was a vhs.

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I got em both the other day. Suspect Video had them out early. They're identical to the US releases. No features missing, and theyre not released joint with eOne either, just Shout Factory and Universal.

Must've been a rumor, as Shout factory releases are all imported to Canada, there's no Canadian distributor as far as I know.

I still can't believe the effort Shout put into these. Almost too good to be true.

~Matt

18. ronnie21

this by far is the best HII had ever looked in any format. You can tell it was cleaned up, in the scene where alice is stabbed and the blood sprays her face, you use to see a big ass white spec on her left side. thankfully now thats gone. removed.. plus other instances , so it was cleaned up..

19. Chomp

Well, aside from the Halloween III transfer looking gorgeous, Shout!’s recent blu ray has only confirmed that Halloween III is easily the best film (aside from the original) in the Halloween franchise. I know everybody loves Halloween II for its continuation of the story and “feel” of the original, but as far as film making goes as well as story, Halloween III is superior on so many levels. It almost pains me to see some fans brush this film off due to its lack of Michael Myers. It is such an awesome and fun film yet at the heart of it, it’s also such a sadistic and vile film.

I just love the new and old mythos of Halloween it brings to the table. You’ve got this old Celtic ritual using the “newer” practice of trick or treating to create a mass sacrifice of millions of innocent children. Trick-or-treating: a ritual used to celebrate children, instead being used to murder them. How fucking evil is that? And all the while, the man behind this “sacrifice” is exploiting mass consumerism in order to unfold his diabolical plan. Only since Dawn of the Dead, has a satire of consumerism been this downright ugly and vicious. I mean, if you really think about it, Conal Cochran makes Michael Myers look like Mother Theresa.

And here’s the kicker,… the only man to save the children around the world, is an alcoholic “doctor”, who frequents bars before work and has time to bang hot chicks that are probably half his age. Sign me up.

Halloween III still feels sort of like a Halloween film….it still has that same sort of vibe. I guess that’s probably due to basically the same crews working on both Halloween sequels. The soundtrack is a simple yet great and the ambiguous ending is a fantastic apocalyptic touch…it almost rivals that of the original.

I will admit, I remember the first time watching Halloween III and being downright pissed off that the movie had absolutely nothing to do with Michael Myers killing people. Then a couple years down the road, I bought a trilogy VHS boxset of the first three Halloween movies from Blockbuster. I popped the third film in for shits and giggles and actually found it to be fairly entertaining. I never saw the full scale awesomeness of Halloween III until watching it during one of Sy-Fy’s Halloween marathons and then immediately buying the DVD. The ending really stuck with me and I’ve watched the film religiously every Halloween since. And now, Shout!’s BD has been viewed and I can safely say, Halloween III is without a shadow of a doubt the best Halloween “sequel” and Shout!'s release may even be one of my favorite blu ray releases this year.

Fantastic.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  20. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the film. It has gradually become my favorite of the sequels over the years. It definitely has my favorite of all the Halloween scores, and the poster is amazing too. I think that's what initially got me interested in the film. The fact that it was the bastard child of the series actually intrigued me. I guess I've always been drawn towards things that most people hate, if only to discover for myself WHY people hate it.

I could care less about the absence of Michael Myers and I swear, if I have to hear that as the only sole complaint about the film one more fucking time, I'm going to chew someone's face off. This film didn't try to fool anyone. I was only a year old in '82, but my brother remembers the advertising campaign well, and it was made pretty clear that this film was a complete departure from the previous two. Never underestimate the stupidity of the masses though. Halloween III is a classic, and it's great to see the film getting a proper release from a company that evidently loves it as much as its fans do.

Money's tight for me right now as I've just started a new job and have a rather hefty student loan to pay off, but as soon as I have some spending cash, I'm going to be picking this up. I can't wait.