Halloween II and III Blu-Rays using original poster art?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Spacetraveler, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Was the film advertised as Halloween 3: Season of the Witch or Halloween: Season of the Witch?

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Let us know if anyone decides to sell these for lower than $19. I'll probably just get III - don't think I need to upgrade II for a "marginally improved video transfer". Are there any side by side screen caps with the Universal release?

Also, the deleted/extended scenes that are on the Universal release, is that just what was part of the TV version?

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082495/alternateversions?mode=desktop

The Universal blu doesn't quite cover everything. Unless you're fanatical about this film, I wouldn't imagine wanting to double dip (especially since it hasn't even been a year). I grew up watching the TV cut, especially on Halloween night, so that's the big draw for me.

4. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Halloween III: Season of the Witch. And if you're about to jump down my throat claiming they asked for it, one look at a trailer or TV spot (and they ran frequently) should have given you the impression that this did not have Michael Myers.

Even many of the posters had the words "ALL NEW" on them.

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I saw the dvds for these at Target and Meijer's this week. No BD's at any store though, but then again, except for Indiana Jones and Titanic, nothing new comes to stores here at all. Looked for tons of shit this week and found nothing nowhere but the internet. Oh wait, Best Buy had Judge Dredd. No one had Devil's Advocate or Texas Chainsaw 2 or Killer Klowns (Meijer's had a new dvd release for Klowns, but no BD).

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

my local kmart had all the new dvds of 5.00 jeepers/tcm 2/Klowns they had THE FOG with new artwork as well

7. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

should have just called halloween (michael myers) instead. that way people wouldnt get confused...

8. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Hey all???????? didnt anyone else think on the featurette of HIII, THAT STACEY Nelkien or whatever her name is, looked like casey anthony??? i thought she reminded me of her...

9. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Absolutely love these releases! I'm not a big slipcover guy, but I love that the slips feature the new artwork and then I can use the original posters on the case itself. These are easily my favorite releases of the year.

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I saw Halloween II and III at Target and almost jumped in excitement before I realized that they only had the DVDs, at which point I got a bit ticked off. I can't believe that at this point in time department stores are still championing DVDs over blu. You'd think that it would be at least half and half by now. And the thing is that I would have snatched up Halloween II in a heartbeat even though I already bought it on blu less than a year ago. Now I'm going to hold off until it inevitably goes down in price. I went home and ordered Halloween III from Amazon.

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Here are detailed screen comparisons for Halloween II between the Universal Blu-ray and the Shout Factory Blu-ray: http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cID=1325

They look quite similar for the most part. It looks like the Shout release possibly has some minor DNR applied at times, or it may just be minor differences in the encodes.

12. Mutilated Prey

That is super interesting. It looks like it indeed has a slight more DNR. It's the same looking grain, but just less of it on the Shout! I would say based on that there is no reason for me to "upgrade". I'd love to see comparisons for The Funhouse with Arrow's.

13. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

All I know is that I'm very happy with the job Shout has done on these aand was worth the double dip.

14. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I don´t see any DNR differences between the two prints, even the slightest.

One I can obviously see is that Shout has some very minor less definition, and I´ll bet is the encoding and not the other way around.
    Just don´t look at the hole picture, press in any part of the picture so that the site zooms the picture, and you see what I´m talking.

15. Mutilated Prey

What to you makes it's worth the double dip? The extras? Just to have two versions? It obviously isn't for a picture quality upgrade.

It's hard to see on a laptop as I'm doing now, but when I was at work doing it on large monitors I could easily see the difference of some sort of grain/blotch - like the shout! version was just slightly more smoothed out.

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

for me, the extras make it worth it on their own. the second version is very cool as well. i was under the impression that the shout transfer was better when i bought it. now it appears that isn't the case. looks like the universal one is the one i'll be watching in the future.

17. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I can't believe this conversation about the Halloween II disc is still going on. The transfer is at worst the same as the Universal one, but that doesn't matter because of all the great bonus features. Even if you have the Universal disc, this is the one to get for the 2 commentaries, 2 documentaries, deleted scenes commentary, and the TV version of the film.

18. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Shout Factory's disc would have moved the Universal disc to the trade-in pile were it not for Terror in the Aisles. So needless to say I'll be keeping both.

19. Mutilated Prey

The conversation is still going on because there was all this hype about it being a superior transfer and it ain't. Like Mikey says, Terror in Aisles is one major thing the Universal disc has going for it. I could care less about extra commentaries and documentaries - I never listen or watch that stuff. It's all about picture quality and deleted/alternate scenes with me. The only reason I would ever double dip here is for the tv version, but it seems like the universal deleted scenes comes somewhat close to covering that.

20. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member