Halloween II and III Blu-Rays using original poster art?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Spacetraveler, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

^ Gotcha - thanks. I understand it's all personal preference. We all have different benchmarks when it comes to a quality release. Yeah, double dipping is annoying, so for me knowing all we know about the two releases it comes down to really the extra of Terror in the Aisles or Made-for-TV Halloween II in which I'll pick Terror.

2. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Which I salute you for, don't get me wrong I'm greatful to Universal for putting Terror as a bonus on their disc. I was jumping up & down just like everybody else. I even have both versions of the disc. But to my understanding it's not just a made for t.v. version but Rick's actual director's cut. This is how he wanted the film to be before they took it away from him. But is far as I'm concerned boh discs are companion pieces & are worth having.

3. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I'm all about picture quality the most, and from those screen comparisons it is clear that the Universal blu has the slight edge. I'll be passing on the Shout release since I already have the Universal. You can bet your ass I'll be buying Shout's They Live and Terror Train releases though.

4. Mutilated Prey

Yup, and I will get Halloween III and Terror Train, maybe They Live, but will wait a bit to see if prices drop a little.

JGrendel - interesting note about the t.v. actual director's cut. Has anyone listed anywhere what the differences are?

5. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

In the making of doc Rick goes through the scenes that were cut out & put back in for the t.v. version. the most notable one would be the original ending that shows you that Jimmy lived & is also in the back of the ambulance with laurie. There's also a scene where they show Michael killimg the power to the hospital & where everyone is when the lights go out. Alot of it has to do with character development more than anything.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  6. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this link Kat. It's clear that the Shout! transfer has less detail in some of the caps due to the DNR. I'll still be picking it up for the extras. But as far as the movie goes, I'll take a film-like transfer with some print blemishes over a cleaned up but slightly over-processed version.

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

The Shout transfer has less detail? OH COME ON. To even say the difference is minimal is an overstatement. The Shout Factory release is overall the better transfer, it has a higher bitrate, it's a larger file than the Universal disc, it has less print damage. It looks like the grain is just in different spots than the Universal disc, not that grain was 'removed'. There's no decrease in definition on Shout's transfer, either. And in relation to grain, it just looks like differences in the encodes because where spots of grain seem to be 'missing' on the Shout transfer, there are spots of grain on Shout's transfer that seem to be 'missing' on Universal's. Grain was not REMOVED, it seems to be in slightly different spots. I'll say this: It DEFINITELY looks better in motion than the Universal release, for sure.

And over-processing? Not at all. They both look entirely film-like and nobody would've even noticed ANY differences (aside from the minimizing of print blemishes) unless you stare individually at every frame. Like I said, in motion, Shout's transfer looks much better.

~Matt

8. Mutilated Prey

Well then there you go. The Shout! Blu, yourself and your new pee pee should all be very happy together :)

9. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

In the end does it really matter, I mean it's like Mutilated said it'a all about personal preference. I'm just happy that HII came out at all let alone in two different versions that look & sound awesome. We'll just have to agree to disagree on which is better.

10. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

shouts version is the one i prefer, simply cause when alice is stabbed in the beginning, that big ass ugly white spec is finally gone and now theres no distraction...

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Hey! Leave my pee pee out of this! ;)

~Matt

12. Mutilated Prey

13. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Can't we all just get along?

14. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I wasn't trying to be contrary Matt. And I don't doubt that Shout's transfer could possibly look better in motion. I openly admitted I haven't compared the discs side-by-side. But you can't deny that the Universal transfer has slightly more detail in this section of this screencap:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?art=part&x=583&y=192&action=1&image=0&cID=1325&cap1=15420&cap2=2235&lossless=#vergleich

It's plainly visible even on my 20" monitor. And grain obviously HAS been reduced in the Shout! release. I don't have an issue with that if detail isn't obscured. But again, I can clearly see slightly more detail in the untouched Universal transfer. Follow the vertical line from the right eyebrow and look closely at the forehead lines right next to the hairline.

It's not night and day. And I wasn't suggesting it was. But although you obviously (and loudly) prefer the Shout! transfer, it's not definitively superior. It's very debatable, which is why this discussion is taking place. And referencing bitrate to dispute what's clearly visible to the eye doesn't seem like a valid way of arguing to me. So please can the "OH COME ON" drama queen theatrics. I was just commenting on the screenshot evidence, not being inflammatory for argument's sake.

Judging by screenshots is tricky business. Screenshots of the Horror Express BD look horrendous. But in motion it's generally not a distracting transfer. I don't doubt the issues I see here might be minimal while watching the film on a less than enormous home video screen. So I wasn't attempting to give my final word on these two transfers.

Like I said, I intend to pick up the Shout! release for the extras. When I do I'll post my impressions from a side-by-side comparison.

15. Stige

Stige Active Member

I have both and only noticed in my untrained eye the shout disc had a more appealing transfers, why,? Don't know

and either my eyesight is going all to hell but on my 24 inch hd monitor I didn't notice the "plainly visible" difference mentioned

16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I think we can all agree that both versions are better than we thought we'd ever see. Not to mention a commentary, making of, deleted scenes, the TV version and "Terror in the Aisles."

17. JBeamer75

JBeamer75 New Member

The TV Cut of Halloween II featured on the Shout Factory release omits one scene that was included in the non-remastered TV Cut that aired on SyFy and other channels throughout the 80's. It's a scene with Jill, Bud, and Garret at the hospital's security station where Garret first mentions it was teenagers on drugs responsible for the crimes. Bud replied, "Drugs ... that's what's wrecking society."

That scene was never shown as part of the TV Cut that aired on AMC and was probably cut from their master for time reasons. A little unfortunate that the version on the Shout Factory release doesn't include it as it feels incomplete without it.

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

For some reason, Universal announced their own blu-ray release of Halloween III: Season Of The Witch for August 11th.

Probably safe to assume it's barebones. Seems pretty pointless, considering the Scream Factory Special Edition has been out since 2012 and is still in print. I'd imagine anyone who wants the film already owns that or the complete Halloween Collection.

19. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

That was an odd move by Universal. If anything's different about (new transfer, 5.1 remix) I'll consider it.

20. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

... and I love that one of the tags for this thread is "amazing grace". :lol: