Halloween II and III Blu-Rays using original poster art?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Spacetraveler, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

So do you think we'll get a special edition of Halloween 3? That would also be very cool. Especially if it's uncut.

2. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

Thank you ... I appreciate that! I love this forum and hope to be able to share some early news on genre releases as often as possible.

I will also mention that I re-checked my source and the deleted scenes special feature is still listed despite the announcement on other websites not mentioning it.

3. Zombie Dude

Do have any info on H3?

4. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Jeremy, you said it better than I could. The key phrase on those contracts would be "in perpetuity."

5. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Press Release:
    http://forum.blu-ray.com/4906249-post30.html

Apparently, a DVD with the same Blu features won't be released. And even if a DVD was released, the press release gives the specs which is completely identical to 2001 Universal DVD.

6. maniac666

maniac666 New Member

I have only one fear:nervous:...You know sometimes,special features like the making of,or whatever featurette,are only in standard definition,i hope Universal don't fucked up this release with a crappy looking version of Terror In The Aisles!!HD or nothing!!!

7. Zombie Dude

Are you kidding? I'd prefer something rather than nothing.

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Meh, so what? It's the main feature that's important to me. Extras are generally worth one watch and that's about it. I never saw that big of a deal about Terror in the Aisles, even as a kid of the 80s. I always considered it nothing but a stupid clip show not even worth the 2 bucks to rent it.

9. maniac666

maniac666 New Member

No,no i'm not kidding!Terror In The Aisles has never been available on dvd,only on vhs.So i just hope that they remaster it correctly instead of just giving us a crappy looking version.And yes,sometimes,something is better than nothing,but in that case i just hope for the best!!

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It's never going to look the same because Universal doesn't hold the rights to all of the movies. They're going to replace everything they don't own with stuff that they DO own, so since it isn't going to be representative of the original film what difference does it make? Plus, the way the current market is for DVD/blu-ray I just gotta say... Don't hold your breath, especially when it's included as an extra for a second tier horror film like Halloween II which was never even deemed worthy for a special edition even at the HEIGHT of the DVD market.

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

looks like they're trying to ape the poster design of the rob zombie films. or at least the first one. lots of scratches. very "intense". collage of other images surrounding the mask. the image of jamie lee on the bottom left even reminds me of sheri moon. a really disappointing cover. but i'll take a lousy cover for an amazing blu ray over the opposite.

12. MacabreFilms

MacabreFilms New Member

This is beyond thrilling. Looks like I'll finally have the shell out the cash for a Blu-Ray player. I've always loved this sequel, as it's one of the first horror films to ever make an impression on me as a kid. PLUS this release has Terror In The Aisles? That was short of like the gateway horror film for me when I was younger. I discovered tons of little known films from that movie. I'd never be a DePalma fan had there not been clips from The Fury, Sisters, and Dressed to Kill in there. It has a lot of fond memories associated with it. I can't wait! What a terrific release this could be! Hope they don't drop the ball at the last minute.

Also, I seem to remember there being a recorded commentary with the director that was originally supposed to be for the DVD release, but they made it a bare bones affair. If they had it in their vaults, I'm surprised they wouldn't use that, too. I'd like to hear his thoughts on the film.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Well, not necessarily (see my previous post). Universal didn't have the rights to movies like FRIDAY THE 13TH back in 1984 either, but the clips were included because the rights holders were paid a chunk of money for use of the footage. When you license footage for use, you buy the rights for certain mediums and/or certain markets (ie, home video in Japan) or you buy the rights to use the clip in all mediums in a certain market, or all mediums in all markets, etc, etc. It all depends on what rights they bought back then, and how long those rights were good for. I agree with the sentiment that Universal is not going to pay more than a piddling sum, if anything at all, to clear rights that need to be cleared on something like this. The question is whether there ARE rights that need to be cleared again or whether the original license agreements still give them the right to distribute it on home video twenty-eight years on. The tendency now for productions like this is to clear the footage for all markets and all mediums in perpetuity, that way there are no surprises fifty years down the line when there are people living in colonies on the moon and that's suddenly considered a separate distribution territory or what not. In 1984 home video was well established enough that Universal may have had the foresight to do that...or maybe not. I honestly don't know, like I said before, this movie was never on my radar until people started debating about it today.

14. Zombie Dude

Sure a HD print of Terror in the Aisles would be great but I'm not going to complain if it is only standard. I'd rather it included than not.
    It won't necessarily be changed. As someone posted a page or two back, it's possible that the changed version that was on tv replaced those scenes because of their strong content rather than rights issues.
    Well it's way better than their cover for the dvd of Phantasm 2.

15. Justin Kerswell

Justin Kerswell New Member

This is beyond good news - but according to that press release the DVD has the trailer but the Bluray doesn't!

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I would guess because it will be the same exact content as the old DVD. Apparently only the Blu-ray will be the new release, and the DVD just a re-release.

Universal generally includes the trailers on their Blu-rays, so it could just be a mistake there. Warner are the really bad ones about rarely porting over the trailer.

17. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Totally agree about Terror in the Aisles. I remember being very disappointed in this. The clips I was familiar with lacked the punch they had in the original movies because they really needed the events leading up to what was shown in the clip for the full effect. And for the movies I hadn't seen I seem to recall many of the clips being full of spoilers, sometimes even giving away the endings to the films. This is not a movie I ever need to see again.

18. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

terror in aisles was ok, i use to have it on tape when it was on cable in fall of 85. and watched it alot then.. But seen it again on youtube. and it didnt hold up...

19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Terror In The Aisles will be on ActionMax this Wednesday at 5AM.

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

You're not kidding. Love em or hate em, Zach Snyder's trailers are epic. None of them have been released. I have all of the Dawn of the Dead trailers from a bonus DVD called "The First 8 Minutes" that I found on eBay. It's a small disc that Paramount released as a promotion featuring the first 8 minutes of the film plus every trailer from the film. I want the Watchmen and Sucker Punch trailers in 1080p.