Halloween II and III Blu-Rays using original poster art?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Spacetraveler, Jun 26, 2011.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I have to agree - I'm so sick of that look as it's used for every home release and all over TV now. It doesn't suit the film well at all because the first three HALLOWEEN films are very slick and glossy and this artwork is more suited to SAW or WRONG TURN 5.
    I would glance right over it if I didn't do a triple take to really see the images from the film.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yep, I have that bonus DVD too. ;) It was a Best Buy stores exclusive.

Speaking of which, I just got the Dawn of the Dead (2004) Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack yesterday. It was under $7 on sale from Barnes & Noble...which was just the right price.

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Ya'll sure that was Best Buy?
    I have a DotD bonus disc from Best Buy as well, but mine isn't titled. It has 3 things on it though:

Mockumentary: Undead and Loving It!
    Drawing the Dead
    & Storyboard Comparisons.

Never heard of "the first 8 minutes" dvd, but recall them playing the first 5 online and on TV for pormotion (which worked like a charm on me).

In related news, I somehow ended up with an exta copy of the bonus disc I have. By somehow I mean I "pocketed" it from gamestop before they sent all their dvds to wherever they sent em when they stopped selling them. Make me an offer if interested (have to at least cover postage). Not super rare, so now it's super-cheap.

4. Katatonia

Ah, you're right. I thought what buck mentioned was the Best Buy bonus disc, but it must be some other promo disc.

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I get that a lot of people are only so so about TERROR IN THE AISLES but it IS a highly requested title and the fact that it is being tucked away as an "extra'' on a HALLOWEEN disc is puzzling to me.Last October I went to a double feature screening of HALLOWEEN 3 and TERROR IN THE AISLES.Both of these were the studios sole surviving 35mm prints,they had to be screened with a lag between the reels because the theater was not allowed to splice them,they are archive prints.Anyway,they looked fantastic and the theater was near capacity.Clearly AISLES has a loyal fanbase or else people would have cleared out after HALLOWEEN 3,but virtually the entire crowd stayed for TERROR,the second feature.I think the studio may be missing the boat by tossing off AISLES as a "bonus'',hell,at one time it was the highest grossing documentary ever made.

I guess we'll have to wait and see exactly what the quality is like on the film itself (and what,if any,changes are made to it regarding rights issues).I'm really happy to see that HALLOWEEN 2 is going Blu regardless,I never have owned anything beyond the old Goodtimes DVD of it.I need to upgrade.

6. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Terror in the Aisles definitely deserves its own release.

7. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Iam waiting for the reviews of the picture quality of H2, If its all grainy and blows. i will hold on to my dvd. which the transfer isnt bad..

8. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

If its a GOOD transfer, it WILL be grainy. The film is grainy. Hopefully they'll have enough sense not to wash the grain away with overly agressive DNR.

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Someone on the bluray.com forums made me laugh. They started complaining when they fount out the cover art wouldn't be the original poster art and apparently that meant a no buy for them. A bit extreme.

I think it's fair to complain if the artwork looks terrible but I think H2's new cover look alright. Like I said in another post, at least it isn't as bad as their Phantasm 2 cover.

10. Katatonia

:lol: And they were being serious? Sure, coverart should be nice, but I'm not going to skip a release just because it doesn't use the OG poster art. They could always just make their own if it's that big of a deal!

11. Zombie Dude

They were being serious. :lol: They said something like "no original poster art = no purchase." They must own many movies if that's the case.

12. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

That's what worries me. Universal is capable of doing some very good work but, more often than not, it seems like their catalog titles fall victim to excessive noise reduction and edge enhancement.

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

There is no way TERROR IN THE AISLES would be in HD. No way. If it does actually come out though, that's great news. H2 was a must buy for me anyway, but that doc sure sweetens the pot. I rented that one a couple times in high school. It's kitschy and all that, but I liked the bits at the actual theater with Nancy Allen. Fun stuff. It makes sense that they'd just want to tuck it in with another movie though - I don't really think it would have the appeal for modern audiences, since it's more just a chronicle of films that were current at the time of its release. That's a pretty limited sampling of the genre. For fans of eighties and seventies horror though, of course it's a great get.

Anyone who remembers the old Universal DVD should remember that similar deleted scenes were also advertised then (I believe a commentary or featurette was talked about, too). I really hope this time they actually do come out.

Anyway, great news and I hope official announcement for H3 is soon to follow. Silver Shamrock!

14. Zombie Dude

Well considering they have 30th Anniversary Edition on the cover I assume we will definitely be getting more than just the film.

Also looking forward to news of H3. Most likely another instant buy for me.

15. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

You still pounding your cock in anticipation for this release? :lol:

16. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Exactly... all too often Universal caters to folks, like ronnie21 there, that want every film to look like a slick new Hollywood production without a thought for the integrity of the original visual style. I will personally be pleased if H2 is swathed in a thick layer of heavy grain as that is what I imagine the negative looks like.

17. Zombie Dude

I had to stop, it got sore :(

18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Indeed there is a different disc. It's much smaller than the regular DVD as you can see with the picture:

Dawn1.jpg

The disc shows the first few minutes from the film, and then has every trailer (U.S. International): Dawn2.jpg

Dawn3.jpg

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Ronnie, because Halloween II takes place entirely at night, it's a very dark movie. And because of that, the filmmakers needed to use a film stock that exposed quickly. This has changed since then with the advancement of high quality film stocks, but at the time that this movie was made, to shoot in low light situations film stock needed to have fewer silver halide crystals in order to develop properly. If they used a film stock with less grain (ie, MORE silver halide crystals) they would have needed to kill the atmosphere of the movie by boosting all of the lights during the production, otherwise the film would have been underexposed, and therefore unusable. (It's also important to point out that when a film frame has few crystals, then the crystals have to be larger in order to fill the entire frame. This is what causes the actual "grain".)

So, as has been pointed out by many of the good folks here, Halloween II is supposed to be grainy. Any other presentation on DVD and blu-ray is simply wrong.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  20. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

I hope 3 uses the teaser trailer on it. the one with the mask from the poster and that thing crawling out of it's mouth..