Halloween II and III coming to Blu-Ray this fall?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spacetraveler, May 21, 2011.

1. Drama Queen Die

Drama Queen Die Banned Mofo

Ya Nailwraps how do you not know who owns or licenses a film? Just kidding; and trying to give the one upper a manners lesson. You don't own the calories you harness them

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Finally got the disc in the mail, so now I know what I'm watching tonight! :)

3. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Yay! I just got mine in the mail safe and sound from Amazon :).

4. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I still have this feeling that this was Universal's plan from the beginning to drive up sales

5. RNunez187

RNunez187 Member

Mine came on Saturday. Haven't watched it yet.

6. maybrick

After watching the movie I didn't get the impression that leaving the "Moustapha Akkad Presents" off the beginning credits was intentional. This blu-ray is most likely struck from a print that has been kicking around the vaults sight unseen for 30 years. Maybe the "Moustapha Akkad Presents" was a last minute addition prior to theatrical release that everybody forgot about? I think it's probable.

7. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Got mine from Amazon today. Due to reasons no point going into, I now have two copies. Not sure if I'll return one or just hold onto the extra and sell later.

8. DanceEnergy24

DanceEnergy24 New Member

I just picked up a copy at Best Buy for $15. The store had two of 'em. The credit change is a mystery but doesn't affect viewing.

9. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

But did you guys read from some official source that this blu-ray was going out-of print?

I still find it in every major online stores... even after some of them asked for more stock.

10. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Nothing is official at this point. Everything is rumor and should be treated as such. Some of us (me included) just don't want to chance that it does. Feel free to wait it out for a while to see if nothing happens.

11. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I never said I don´t already own the blue.
    I just think rumor causes panic and I really think this is the case here.
    I believe Universal, as a big name company would release some sort of press release if this was the actual fact... just think of their botched releases of Private Ryan and Gladiator.

12. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

None of us are panicking or trying to cause any kind of panic. We're just making sure people who are interested in this disc understand that there's a risk, however slight, that it might disappear soon--and that some of the rumors mention potential rights issues with Terror In The Aisles.

To give some historical perspective, the initial DVD release of Ed Wood was pushed back at the 11th hour for an outrageously long period of time due to rights issues with special features. The initial announced street date was 8/13/02. Then it was pushed back to 2/3/03--a delay of nearly 6 months. And it didn't actually come out until 10/19/04--an unbelievable 2 years and 2+ months after the original street date. And when it finally appeared it the features in question weren't included.

So all we're saying is that if you're planning on buying this disc, it's a good idea to jump on it now. The worst-case scenario is really, REALLY bad. Let's assume the rumors are true and it goes out of print for a while. The Bird With The Crystal Plumage blu-ray now goes for $72 through Amazon Marketplace. Do I wish I spent $11.99 to pick it up when Amazon had it on sale? Damn straight. I wish someone here had caused a "panic" about that one possibly going out of print so quickly.

This is a quality release at a very reasonable price. Anyone who's interested in H2 or Terror In The Aisles in hi-def should grab it immediately.

13. maybrick

Why did Bird go OOP? That's a new one to me.

14. shape22

Beats me. Seemed like one day it was $14.99 and the next day it was gone. Can anyone confirm why it disappeared so quickly?

15. maybrick

It's always a curious thing when that happens, but Bird wasn't something I was likely to upgrade anyways. I bought the BU DVD used about 4 years ago and I can't recall if I've even put it in yet other than to spot check the A/V.

But I see that there is always the Arrow release for those that really want the film on blu. Aren't all of Arrow's discs supposed to be region free?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  16. shape22

The bulk of them definitely are. Per blu-ray.com a few of them are region B locked.

17. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

When movies are bought for release, the company in question has the rights for a period of time. All I´ve heard about Bird going out of print was because the time has passed.

18. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Best Buy now re-stocked locally, thinking this is all rumors and possibility, nothing solid or real. Time to take my extra copies back and trade em for new shit!

19. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

If there are any rights issues, they would be with TERROR IN THE AISLES, as Universal owns HALLOWEEN 2 as a film outright (though that's distinct from the rights to the characters or the franchise, which they don't have). Not that I want to add to the TERROR IN THE AISLES paranoia, mind you, because right now that all still seems kind of silly to me.

I'm really very surprised that Anchor Bay never licensed out the second and third films. Universal is VERY open to licensing out their stuff to third parties and had done a lot of deals with AB before, plus those two movies would have fit into their HALLOWEEN-centric home video strategy. I guess AB just wasn't interested by the Goodtimes' license on them expired.

20. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

So am I, cause it would've been a perfect oportunity for them to have a Halloween box set had they inked deals with Universal & Miramax for their sequels.