Halloween II and III coming to Blu-Ray this fall?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spacetraveler, May 21, 2011.

1. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I try not to, but I keep seeing it happen, usually just with stuff I only have 1 of and don't want to part with, but it seems like everything is going OOP lately. Then you have a 'value window' until a better release happens, like a blu-ray when there was none or a SE. SE's that have been re-issued as barebones tend to hold some value too.

But I'm still kicking myself for not buying some titles (Watchmen UE), and not buying extras of others I just knew wouldn't last long like Savage Streets or The Entity, which I got for $6 each when in print and now wish I had got at least 2 of each. (edit, SS was $11).

But overall, you are right. There are far more worthless discs out there than valuable, and it's so hard to tell what will end up being which. I still got a copy of Night of the Living Dead 30th 2 disc that I thought would buy me a house by now, and I literally would have trouble giving it away ($2.50 at amazon, for a numbered LE).

I wish BD was that cheap here though, used stores still cost more or equal to than retail sales, most staying study at $10 a pop for blus.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

You misunderstand. Used blus still go for $8-$10 around here on the shelf, but the store won't buy them from YOU for any more than $4.

edit: to illustrate the point, I just got back from a used music store with a $6 blu-ray copy of Inglourious Basterds!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i had that. it was awesome. then it was stolen. there's no way i'd pay the asking price for those available online, at least last time i looked. bummer.

4. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I just ordered this this morning. Hope I don't have to wait.

5. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I ordered mine yesterday... let´s see what happens.

6. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

the final exam 2008 dvd sure went for alot of money once it was out of print soon after its release date..

7. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Ordered mine today along with JC's Halloween

8. Madman

Madman New Member

I'm still waiting for word of the inevitable Halloween II replacements (with Moustapha Akkad's name added back to the opening titles) before I pick up this release. Otherwise, I'm extremely excited about Terror in the Aisles. :)

9. Sam

Sam Member

Really a bizarre release from Universal. No lossless track and the title card changes have left me on the fence of buying it.

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

If you're "extremely excited about Terror in the Aisles" you may not want to wait for the replacements. The rumor is that the BD is going OOP because of Terror in the Aisles so it may not make it on the replacements.

But if you wait I'm sure someone on this forum will have a copy for $ale ;)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  11. Nailwraps

I don't know. I mean, don't you think if they wanted to include Terror In The Aisles in the first place they would request permission from Fox, Paramount, and other companies featuring there films or what films they own first. I mean, if they already got permission, why not include it for the replacement/reissue version?

12. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Who knows if they did get permission. They might have dumped it onto this release as an extra since they perhaps didn't secure the rights to release it as a stand alone blu-ray. Maybe they thought doing so would move more Halloween II units knowing Terror In The Aisles was a wanted title among horror fans since it had no DVD release. Just some things to consider.

Bottom line at this point is nobody knows if there will be a reissue of the blu-ray at all. I think the only evidence that even suggests this was a tweet from Akkad's son saying Universal was going to make this right regarding the removal of his father's credit in the opening of the film.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

They knew enough to remove Dawn of the Dead (who knows who owns that now?). I would assume that they sought permission from the other studios. This is a strange release. When people ask "Why do you pre-order?", this is why.

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Dawn of the Dead was also missing from the theatrical release in 1984. I think why the film works as well as it does is I found out from a 1984 NY Times review that the film was put together by an outfit that put together trailers for the studios. I only wish they didn't include such minor, blink-and-you'll-miss scenes from SUSPIRIA and a few others considering the films have much better, scarier scenes in them that would have really been more effective.

16. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Seems strange that some of you are willing to gamble on a re-release. It's a quality upgrade for a fair price and its clear something is going on. If TERROR IN THE AISLES doesn't show up on a re-release, or if a re-release doesn't happen expect some crazy aftermarket prices for years to come.

My gut says this is the last time you see TERROR IN THE AISLES. I seriously doubt this title is getting pulled because of the Producer's credit alone. I also wouldn't be surprised if Halloween II disappears for a few years until a boxset shows up.

17. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

It was, but then I realized after Lateralus and 10,000 Days I wasn't much of a Tool fan anymore. It was worth more in $ than the every other year time I listened to it.

18. Nailwraps

Anchor Bay still owns it.

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

really? i love lateralus and 10,000 days. although i suppose they really aren't as raw as their first 3 albums. do you still like opiate, undertow, and aenima? or are you off their whole catalogue?

the evolution the group went through from opiate through lateralus was pretty stunning i always thought. when i first heard 10,000 days i felt the differences between it and lateralus where a lot less than i had been anticipating, and in that respect it was a little bit of a disappointment. but i still consider it a great album.

that being said, salival was actually a slightly disappointing package, especially considering how much it cost. the presentation of it was beautiful, with the book and case, but it was really just 4 videos and half a dozen songs. pretty lackluster in the catalogue of music dvd releases.

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

They don't own it. They license it.