Halloween III underrated?

Discussion in 'General' started by dave13, Nov 1, 2009.

1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

just wanted to make quick mention of the fact that every review or post or article that i come across that refers to Halloween III goes out of their way to quickly caution that we not let its "poor reputation" keep us from enjoying it. "Trust me," they all seem to say, "this movie is actually good!"

...no fucking shit.

can anyone on here remember the last time anybody actually dumped on Halloween III? I can't. people need to stop referring to it as "underrated" or "unfairly maligned." because its not. i'd say that after the first one, part III seems to get the most favorable responses from the film community in general. people like this film. its not underrated anymore, is my point. this films legacy has officially changed, in my opinion, and i think people need to start referring to it as such. are there any other movies out there like that? incredibly popular films that people still insist on referring to as underrated? just wondering.

2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I think people in general think it sucks because Micheal Myers is not in it. I mentioned it tonight and my friends said "oh yea that awful movie that shouldnt have even been in the Halloween series." Horror fans may be a bit more fair on it and given it a second chance on its own merit without comparing it with the rest of the Halloween series, but most people I know assume it is horrible and this is probably mainly because it has the Halloween name slapped on it.
    I think it is a decent movie on its own but it never should have had the Halloween name associated with it. So underrated? I would say since it is a decent horror flick it is underrated by the general public who wont even watch it once they find out Micheal Myers isnt in it.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Well, IMHO, I think that it's every other sequel beyond III that should never have had the "Halloween" title associated with it. The producers should have stuck to their guns and released new, non-Myers storylines every year. They certainly couldn't have been any worse received than parts V and VI were.

4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Halloween III is a very good film, revisited a few nights ago and its original and very well done.

5. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I think it's rated just about right, actually.

6. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Oddly enough, H3 gets dumped on quite a bit on Halloween (myers fanboy) forums! And it's the same old tired excuse of MM not being in it.

7. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

love it... it was just on tv... always loved it...

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's an old favorite of mine.

So, it doesn't have Myers in it? Well big deal, who the hell cares! That's always the lame fanboy excuse.

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

It's got Tom Atkins in it. What's not to love?:banana:

Most people I've heard call it bad could only back it up with the statement of Michael not being in it. I must admit though that first time watching it I really didn't like it that much. I didn't think it was bad but it just didn't do anything for me. When I decided to buy it a few years later I actually came to realize what a great film it is. Not to mention the great ending.

All I need now is an uncut copy.

10. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Well said mate

11. Franco

Franco Weekender

Been celebratin' last nite so much I couldn't see this classic of mine! Gonna watch it tonight anyways... H3 is great, even without Michael.

12. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Abso-fucking-lutely!

I LOVE HALLOWEEN III and work with a kid who makes fun of me for it. He is completely baffled at the connection between Halloween, Stonehenge and shamrocks. I'm guessing that in his world Halloween is a holiday that was invented by candy companies in the 1970s who wanted to make some extra money during the slow season between Easter and Valentine's Day.

13. dayglo

dayglo Member

My personal favorite, and better than ANY sequel that came after it.

14. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Nah fuck that Halloween 4 was awesome, its beyond that, that the series started to go sh!te and H4 made a TON of money.

15. scaryguy88

scaryguy88 New Member

popped in the dvd h3 last night lol

16. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

What an odd complaint to start a thread with...

Anyhow, I love this film and always had an appreciation for it, even back in the day when it was so reviled. The concept is pretty original and it had one of the best Carpenter/Howarth scores ever. The poster always intrigued me and I managed to get an original print of one, which now proudly hangs over my couch. I'm glad it's finally getting the attention it deserves. In regards to all the annoying-as-fuck fanboys whose only defense is the fact that this film does not have Michael Myers in it... don't worry about them. They're usually low IQ, white trash morons whose opinions really don't matter anyways. I mean seriously.. that is one rediculously lame defense.

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

No doubt about it, the original 1978 Halloween will always be my favorite. Halloween III is easily my favorite of the sequels and will always be special to me. It's one of the best horror films to capture the Halloween spirit, features one of my absolute favorite John Carpenter scores, and gives one of my favorite actors Tom Atkins a starring role. Also, I've always loved Halloween masks since I was a little kid.

18. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I think the real question presented in this thread to everyone was do you think this film is still underrated/underappreciated and why? Or has it now grown to the status of no longer being considered underrated even by the mass public? I hear everyone expressing their love for it but not really addressing the actual question being asked. I think horror movie fans have gotten past the naming of the movie and really enjoy it on its own but I still think overall the general public still avoids and dismisses this movie thus it is still underrated and underappreciated.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  19. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Exactly. Sure, we take it on its own merits for the wonderful low-budget gem that it is (well, most of us anyway) but most people are idiots and MM fanboys who judge the quality of a film by A) how much box office it made, and/or B) how many copies are on the shelf at Blockbuster.

That's my take on it, anyway.

20. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I love Tom Atkins, and certain scenes are very creepy, such as the murder in the hospital and the subsequent self-immolation. It's just a shame that the plot doesn't bear close scrutiny well. It's one thing to accept that Michael Myers is super human and can take six bullets and keep on trucking, but the problems with logic in Halloween III are a somewhat beyond the dramatic license:

I find it a bit hard to swallow that the heroine is suddenly a robot. If she was a robot the entire time, why didn't she act until after Atkins had destroyed the factory? If she wasn't a robot the entire time, are we really supposed to believe that the bad guy can whip up a flawless robotic doppelganger in a matter of minutes?

And for the record, the absense of Michael Myers has nothing to do with why I don't find this movie entirely satisfying.