Halloween Reurrection hits blu-ray 4/17

Discussion in 'General' started by Spacetraveler, Jan 28, 2012.

1. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Ill humbly disagree- Id take Zombies movies over Resurrection and to me its not even close. Busta was just awful and I find Resurrection unwatchable and makes Myers into a joke.

2. MarkWarner

MarkWarner New Member

Yeah, how dare Zombie have no interest in wacky cults, endless relatives, and reality TV. :lol:

Give me a break. I love some of the other films in the series, but Zombie is a fan of the original only and he's made that pretty clear. Just because he doesn't share every Halloween fan's opinion on the entire series doesn't mean he has contempt for its fans. I don't care if you hate his films, but some people act like he went into the Halloween franchise with some sort of malicious intent, which if you ask me is hilarious.

And after Resurrection, it was a no-brainer for me to divorce myself from the series and embrace Zombie's films for what they are: a reset. A chance to explore new ideas. Even if his films weren't 100% successful, they still opened the door for new possibilities, which is more than I can say for Resurrection.

And Resurrection did? Zombie's films are no more unrecognizable as Halloween films than any of the other sequels (except for maybe Season Of The Witch, but we all know the story there).

Anyway, people who hate Zombie's films, I'm glad you got Resurrection on Blu-Ray. Enjoy it to your heart's content. Meanwhile I'll be waiting for H3 and H4 to make their debuts.

3. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Could not have said it better myself. :glasses:

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

Watched this guy for the first time since it was originally released last October and man, does it not hold up...at all. I still do find the first 10 minutes a nice bookend to the series proper, but the whole reality-show thing with all those vapid cardboard cutouts is just so numbingly mundane. Add to the fact that the whole Myers house thing ends up being a hoax, it's like...why bother? I loathed Zombie's first film (and found myself surprisingly captivated by the dreamscape of his second) and yet still I think I'd rather watch that over this trifle any day.

I will quietly concede, though, that of all the quotable lines in the series, "Trick or treat, muthafucka!" definitely gets the most RT from me.

The Alliance 3-pack Blu-ray should be all anyone needs for their later-Halloween sequel fix.

5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

His contempt for the characters and established mythos is right there on the screen. He took a character who was firmly established as pure evil and saddled him with a backstory rife with the most generic, cliched serial killer motivation imaginable. And over the course of his two films he turned the heroes of Carpenter's original into thoroughly unlikeable caricatures. Loomis became a self-serving asshole instead of an obsessed but endearing Ahab figure. And Laurie is no longer the indomitable and hugely sympathetic protagonist who created the "final girl" template. Zombie turned her into an unpleasant, self-pitying loser who's a chore to be around for two hours. A big part of the appeal of the original film (and to a lesser extent the sequels) is that you rooted for those two characters. Do you really feel Zombie's reinterpretations are remotely as interesting or entertaining?

If that's not enough contempt you should probably read some of Zombie's interviews about the Halloween films. Search the net and read his snarky comments about Carpenter's original and the creative constraints that came with the remake. And then tell me truthfully if his words suggest the reverence he once claimed to have for Carpenter's film.

Who accepts an offer to direct a remake of one of the most iconic films in horror history and then bitches about not having complete creative control over the story? Who argues that a film about a murdering supernatural embodiment of pure evil is unrealistic because Michael's stolen coveralls are too clean? Who makes a Halloween film (Zombie's H2) with a score that completely ignores one of the most iconic and recognizable themes in the history of cinema? Ignoring Carpenter's established theme music alone is proof enough of contempt in my book.

I know we're not ever going to agree on the merit of Zombie's Halloween films. And everyone is certainly entitled to enjoy what he did with this franchise. But based on his two entries in the series I don't think anyone could reasonably argue that Zombie has any interest in Carpenter's original film. If you're not interested in paying homage to Carpenter's characters, story, or score, why remake Halloween? It was inevitable that Halloween would eventually be remade. But I can't imagine anyone making a more ill-conceived stab at it.

6. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Oh good lord, it was a remake, things were gonna change - if you want the same characters, the same story - watch the original. But don't try and tell me or anyone else for that matter, that RESURRECTION is a better movie than any of Rob Zombie's films.

It's all a manner of opinion and in my opinion RESURRECTION was more of a slap to the face to the original film than anything Rob did in either of his films.

The idea of removing the legendary theme song from the second film was to distance itself as much as possible from being tied in with the original series. Rob stated that several times. He didn't want to be trapped in the original mythos because this was his film, not Carpenter's.

Everyone who walked into either of these movies and came out upset because of what was different or what he did really has no one to blame but themselves. If you'd seen either of his films, you should have known his method of storytelling and known that he wasn't going to stick to the original concept like a 16 year old virgin to a super model prom date. I knew walking into both these films I was going to get f-bombs dropped left and right, I knew most of the guys in the movie would have had hair that could potentially reach down to their knees, I knew it wasn't going to be the same thing I had seen with any of the other HALLOWEEN films and I ended up liking both of Rob's films very much.

Sure they're not for everyone, but I'm tired of every single HALLOWEEN fan moaning and groaning over what he did and trying to tell folks that they should have just made a part 9 instead of remaking it, and blah, blah. Just get over it and move on, they're out, they got made, if he didn't do it - someone else would have and it might have come out a lot worse or something a la PSYCHO where it was a shot for shot deal. In any case, I'm sure fans would have complained none the less for whatever the end result was going to be.

7. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

How anyone can watch the scenes with Busta and his Kung-Fu, the wince inducing "Trick r Treat Muthafucka" and Busta wearing the Myers mask while interacting with the actual Michael Myers and tell me it's better then Zombie's entries I'll never understand. To each his own but Jesus Christ I'm sure we can all agree as horror fans that Resurrection was just fucking embarassing.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

RES sucked donkey ass....but I will keep it in my collection, unlike Zombie's entries.

9. Mikey Horror

See, this is what I don't understand. Why would you keep a movie in your collection that you readily admit "Sucked donkey ass"? If it's the Alliance triple feature that has other films included, that I get, but to willingly keep a movie in your collection that you described as you did just doesn't make sense to me. Obviously it only has to make sense to you, I'm just wondering why anyone would own a movie that they think flat out sucks.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  10. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Basically, because it's already there. It was bad (as many horror sequels are) but not as bad as the newer ones. Plus, the beginning is just so cool that I pop it in from time to time. Lesser of evils, I guess. DON'T JUDGE ME! :lol:

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Now this thread makes me want to sign up to this site under 12 different aliases and pretend to be 14 year olds just coming to age and begin extolling the virtues of Resurrection.... just to PUNK YOU ALL!!!! :lol:

...But too bad I have a life. :(

12. MarkWarner

MarkWarner New Member

i.e. I didn't like what he did, so I'm going to accuse him of trying to sabotage the franchise.

Right, because changing Michael from being pure evil to a killer with a backstory hasn't been done before.

If you want Carpenter's characters, watch Carpenter's film.

Congrats. You understand the purpose of the character in those films.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I wanted Laurie to die in H2 when Carpenter pretty much incapacitated her for the majority of the film. Smooth move there, Carpenter. :rolleyes:

Compared to cults and reality TV? Hell yes.

Look, when it comes to the original, it's leagues better than Zombie's films...which is exactly why comparing them is pointless. Now, on the other hand, comparing Zombie's films to the utter misery that is a good portion of the original series? That contest is clear. His films win. I'll take his interestingly flawed films over most of those films any day of the week.

I've read plenty of his interviews. I even read about how PJ Soles gave him her copy of the script for the original as a birthday gift and how excited he was to receive it (that's from an interview with her, NOT with him). There's no doubt in my mind he was a fan of the original, but just because he was a fan doesn't mean he was going to make a fan film, even though the suits at Dimension eventually forced him into doing so with the second act.

Someone who cares about such a thing rather than just doing what the studio tells him all the way. Guess they should have hired Joe Chappelle again. :lol:

I love how that quote gets brought up when people say that Zombie hates Halloween. It's just as much fun as when people bring up the scene in El Superbeasto where Michael gets run over by a car. Don't take everything so seriously.

While you're asking me to look up Zombie interviews, why don't you look up the ones where he talks about how the theme didn't fit the movie he made? I love that theme, but if it don't fit, you must acquit...er, leave it out. Tyler Bates' score was appropriately moody anyway and fit the film to a T.

Why? Because he didn't appeal to every snobby Halloween fan who would complain that Michael's mask doesn't look right or his knife was pointed the wrong way? Because he didn't just take Carpenter and Hill's original script and shoot it scene for scene? (Gus Van Sant, I'm looking at you) Because he attempted to tell his own version of the story rather than yours?

Zombie likes Carpenter's film, but he was also smart enough to not try and duplicate what made it so great (except in those scenes the studio told him to put in). Again, I don't think he succeeded 100% of the time, but he gets my respect for at least trying something new instead of "Hey, let's put Michael on a reality show with a bunch of dumbass teens!"

How much more of an homage can you get than the last half of the remake? In fact, it's TOO much of an homage, which is why I prefer the first, more original half.

Uwe Boll? Brett Ratner? I dunno, I can think of lots of directors who would be a worse match for Halloween.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Seriously, who honestly cares? :rolleyes: Choosing between Resurrection and either of Zombie's crapfests is like choosing between laxatives. They'll all give you the shits in the end.

14. MarkWarner

MarkWarner New Member

Fixed. ;)

15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I can't defend Resurrection over Zombies flicks, but I would definitely take the first 5 and H20 over those three. I'm not sure where 6 fits in, it is quite bad, but it does a great job with the season.

16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

OK, true test time folks.
    Since I'm the only one here who appartently likes Ressurection at all... all of you with the Canadian BD 3-pack, one of you has to send me your Res disc to get it out of your collection!

It sounds like everyone honestly thinks either version of Part 6 is better? Seriously? That whole druid shit, mini-Michael and way too old Loomis is better than a fresh angle from 8? Com'on man. PM me for the addy to ship that shit too, I'll take it off your hands and clean your collection, no joke. Hell, I'll even dub a couple dvds to make it a fair trade.

Now the collector in me understands it will hard to break up a set like that, lord knows I wouldn't do it, but I never claimed this much hate for anything I own either! I don't much like Alien: Resurrection but still keep it around in the Alien set. That's why it's a true test. In fact, anyone takes this offer, I'll send you my Halloween 8 dvd so just in case you want to revisit it, you won't have to go to the used store or pawn shop or online to buy another for $1 or less.:D

First one to PM me this offer wins the "I hate Halloween Ressurection more than anyone else" contest that just started.:D

PS.
    What is it with the word Resurrection that makes for movies most hate? The best is still 1999's Resurrection with Christopher Lambert and that dude who wore the sword dildo from Seven ("I fucked her, God help me I fucked her") chasing down a serial killer who's taking body parts to build a new body. Seriously, that is a killer flick.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  17. Mikey Horror

The Canadian Alliance Halloween Triple Feature has all three movies on one disc.

18. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I just think people don't like it any time an "ethnic" element is introduced into their favorite franchises. 'Resurrection' marks the first time the producers added a rapper to the cast. I can see why a lot of people were turned off - nobody was prepared to see a wisecracking black guy kicking Michael Myer's ass kung-fu style. Or maybe it was the stupid reality-TV angle. Personally, I enjoyed the film. I thought the backstory (Myers slumming it in a cave underneath the original house!) made sense - it sort of explained where he spent his time in between murder sprees the rest of the year (unless you thought Michael just materialized out of thin air every October 31st). Busta Rhymes' non-acting aside, I thought it was a pretty decent entry. It certainly wasn't boring.

19. Mikey Horror

Not true. LL Cool J was in H2O and I enjoyed that entry in the series. It has absolutely nothing to do with ethnicity or the fact the he is a rapper. The guy just can't act worth a shit on top of which the script and story were flat out embarassing. Put anyone else is Busta's role and the movie still sucks.

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

on the plus side, we did get to see Tyra Banks slaughtered by a homicidal maniac, and any movie that does that has got to be worth something.