Halloween Sequel Blurays

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Jul 3, 2011.

?

What yet to be released Halloween sequel do you want most on Blu-ray?

Poll closed Aug 2, 2011.
  1. Halloween II

47 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. Halloween III: Season of the Witch

46 vote(s)
    40.7%
  3. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers

15 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. Vortex

Vortex Member

II is horrible, my least favorite of the series behind H20. It was bad enough that I steered clear of the same director's Resurrection. I liked 4 quite a bit when I was younger. I still like it now, just not to the same extent. Great ending. 5 is pretty poor, though it has a few inspired moments.

Anyway, my vote is for III. Not a hard decision at all.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

With all due respect, it doesn't do exactly what I said. With Halloween II, you know where Michael Myers is, and it certainly isn't in your back yard. He's still in Haddonfield walking down back alleys and into an old couple's home, etc. That isn't half as scary as when you're a kid watching Halloween for the first time at night, getting to the end of the movie and knowing that Michael has escaped, and then trying to fall to sleep afterward. It's the uncertainty at the end of the first film that's makes it a true classic, but having a direct sequel pretty much ruins the ending, or at least lessens it's power to a large extent.

That said, I do enjoy Halloween II as it's the first film in the series I saw (at a double drive in feature back in '82 with American Werewolf) and will definitely pick it up for nostalgic reasons.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  3. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I agree. Halloween II is one of my favorite bad movies. But it IS bad. Jamie Lee's participation amounts to an extended cameo. And the well written and sympathetic secondary characters from the original are replaced by the kind of idiotic cardboard cutouts you usually find hanging around Camp Crystal Lake. You don't feel any dread when Michael is stalking someone because their deaths will improve the gene pool.

Ironically enough, the guy who created the original masterpiece deserves most of the blame for the sequel--starting with the script. Carpenter wrote WAY too many scenes for Myers. The lurking Shape of the original, who was scariest when he was unaccounted for, is now front and center for the bulk of the run-time. Hell, I'd bet he has significantly more camera time than Jamie Lee. And instead of killing others mostly to further terrorize his intended target, here he kills everyone he can--and in assorted creative ways. And I'm not sure pure evil would be concerned about constantly switching murder weapons and techniques for the benefit of increasingly jaded slasher audiences.

And now for my major objection. The sister idea is desperate and stupid--as Carpenter has admitted many times. That misguided attempt to give Myers unnecessary motivation essentially pigeon-holed the entire rest of the series and took away some of the scare factor that Maybrick mentioned. Michael wasn't out there randomly re-creating the 1963 murder of his sister anymore. He was now systematically slaughtering his family members. So if you weren't a Myers (or nearby cannon fodder) you were safe.

Without the sister idea, Michael's future outings could have gone in many different directions (as in the comics). And he could have continued as a true bogeyman--one capable of showing up in YOUR hometown some Halloween. The Michael of the original is a much more compelling character than the Michael of the sequels because his focus wasn't so narrow.

Of course, H2 isn't all bad. Cundey brilliantly recaptures the look of the original, which tremendously aids continuity. Cundey really makes the empty hospital an ominous and threatening stage. I'm also a fan of Howarth's electronic rendition of Carpenter's score. It lends a really gothic feel to the film. And although Warlock's robotic Shape has little to nothing in common with Castle's more graceful one, he does LOOK fantastic--and mean. It's a shame that the later Myers sequels got so far away from the original look of The Shape. Michael never looked this scary again.

Rosenthal historically has shouldered most of the blame for H2. But Carpenter wrote the script and altered the finished film with gratuitous re-shoots. I'd be very curious to see Rosenthal's original cut. It supposedly captures the mood of the original much better than the released version.

As I said, I love the film and I watch it frequently. But I'll always view H2 as the ultimate missed opportunity. The rest of the series would have been so much better if Laurie died and Michael lived--thus clearing the path for new adventures. It's still an easy pre-order for me.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  4. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

There’s a subtle change in the craft of part II that makes a huge difference to me. The original film was framed in an objective, third person POV whereas the second largely uses Michael’s POV. This owes more to Friday the 13th and the other Halloween clones of the era than the original film and is why II has never really felt to me like the direct continuation that it was intended to be.

The first film derived a lot of tension from having Michael pop up in the edges of the frame. We never knew where he was. In part II we are seeing things through his eyes so both on a conscious and unconscious level the film shifts protagonists. It ceases being Laurie’s story and becomes Michael’s and loses so much by sidelining Laurie. It makes sense, from a narrative perspective, to have her doped up and unconscious for most of the movie but from an emotional one it leaves the film hollow in the centre. We spent so much time in the first getting know Laurie, empathizing with and cheering for her, that to push her to the back burner is a mistake that the film never fully recovers from. Of the new characters Jimmy comes closest to filling the void, but we simply don’t know and haven’t been through as much with him, so he makes a poor substitute.

There’s another shift, one of tone, that I always found jarring as well. While Michael, owing to the traditions of the holiday, was a prankster in part one (toying with Laurie, Linda and Annie), in two he’s just a vicious slasher. The kills are a lot more brutal and over the top. Well executed, so to speak, but entirely different in flavor than the first movie.

Still, as far as sequels go, Halloween II is solid. Cundey’s cinematography is fantastic and II has a slick, professional sheen that Halloween lacked. Also, other than Laurie‘s terrible wig, the film hasn’t aged nearly as much as the first. Although it casts in with other, lesser films inspired by its predecessor, it still does them all one better.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Very well thought out responses, guys. Thanks very much. :) I with agree with everything you two say. I guess I should point out one other small thing about Halloween II that annoys me: the turning back of the clock. At the finale of Halloween, it's obvious that it's supposed to be late at night because there's nobody awake in the neighborhood, all of the trick or treaters have gone home, and there isn't a single passing car to be seen. But at the beginning of the next film we're supposed to believe that just a street or two away the town is still bustling with activity? I don't, and can't, buy it.

6. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Being a fan of the series I want them all on Blu but I did vote for 2.

7. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

I haven't posted on here for a long time, as I've been pretty busy with a few things in my real-world-type-life. Anywho, I decided that I HAD to vote in this poll and vote for Part III : Season of The Witch. Why was it imperative that this be the first thread I post on in awhile? Because one of the things I did in my few months off was take over the tattoo shop I've worked in since '04, give it a face-lift, and change the name. Why does that relate, you ask? Because I own and run The Silver Shamrock Tattoo Co. ( http://www.facebook.com/silvershamrocktattooco ). It should also be noted that, since March, no clients or people off of the street have "got" the reference, lol.

8. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Part 2 all the way. What's all this bonerism for part 3 :confused:

I'll take part 4 and 5 before 3 too. 3 is OK and all, but it's not THAT great - easy. :lol:

9. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I LOVE Part II, but I voted for H3: Season of the Witch because it has such a rich, seasonal feel. It's also the most Carpenter-feeling film even though he didn't direct it. I loves.

10. Vortex

Vortex Member

Says the guy voting for Part 2. :lol:

11. Mutilated Prey

That's right, to each their own. Part 2 is really fun. I love the TV version too. I really dig how it just picks right up where 1 left off. I only wish they let Michael run amuck late night in the town a little longer before making his way to the hospital.

I was so friggin' excited when Part 4 came out. I was bouncing like a new born elf. Maybe Part 5 is a stretch, but I was really intrigued by the thorn tattoo and dood in the hat thingy going on there. I liked Part 3 ok, but I just think I would have enjoyed it more if it were called Silver Shamrock - that's it :)

12. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Put me in the camp of "I don't get the love for Part 3". To me that would be a bad film even if it wasn't called Halloween 3. I voted for 4, my favorite of the sequels just in front of 2.

13. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Agreed. Part 3 is horrible for many reasons.

14. Mutilated Prey

I believe the term was "bonerism" :)

15. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

I totally respect peoples right to their own opinion on this as long as it's not "Michael Myers isn't in that one".

16. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Since II has been announced, I'm going with IV, next to the first two, that would have to be my next favorite.

17. JimSmith

JimSmith Banned Mofo

Halloween 3

But that's exactly why they hate the third movie. It's different. Plain and simple!

18. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I could care less about it having Micheal Myers in it or not. IMO if the film hadn't sucked so bad they may have suceeded with having a yearly Halloween film with unralted stories. Even the great Tom Atkins doesn't save Season of the Witch from being an incredibly stupid film.

19. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'll take part 3 over parts 4-8 any day. I'll take part 3 in black and white running backwards before either of the two (or three) remakes.

20. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Yeah, I've never particularly liked it either. I was born in 1979 and I remember back in the very late 1980s, a station (WSBK) aired a double feature of Halloween II and Halloween III: Season of the Witch during their "Movie Loft" segment. I was no more than 10 at the time and didn't know anywhere near what I know about horror movies now, but I did know a little about Michael Myers and even more about Freddy and Jason. So I watched the double feature and was absolutely glued to the screen during Halloween II. I loved it. It kept me in suspense and it never dulled. Imagine my disappointment when Halloween III comes on and it has absolutely nothing to do with the previous two films. I didn't even finish watching it.

I know what Carpenter and Co. originally wanted to do with Halloween and, for the most part, I think it could have been a good idea. The problem was that the Michael Myers storyline was too good for Carpenter's plan to have a different themed Halloween film every year or so. After two highly successful Halloween films dealing with Michael Myers, Michael Myers became synonymous with Halloween, at least in the movies.

I'm suprised so many people like Halloween III. I remember one guy (not on this forum) saying that Halloween III was his favorite in the entire series, including the 1978 original! I'm in the group that says Halloween III is a bad movie regardless of it's title. I vaguely remember a scene where Tom Atkins ends up fighting a woman (who he thinks is his friend) who is really a robot or something like that. All I remember is how poor (cheap) the effects were in that scene. The movie just did nothing for me. If I want something different, I'll watch a good horror film like The Thing (1982), Terror Train, Black Christmas, My Bloody Valentine, etc. I simply think Halloween III should never have been called Halloween III. It should have been called just "Season of the Witch" or "Halloween: Season of the Witch" (without the "III") or something else like Silver Shamrock, etc.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011