Happy 34th, FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by wago70, May 1, 2015.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    This day in 1981, the sequel to Friday the 13th was unleashed upon us. Here's to good times! 1981 rules forever!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lucky patrons at the drive-ins all over the U.S. were treated to MY BLOODY VALENTINE as the co-feature.

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

That's an awesome double feature. If I'm up late enough tonight maybe I'll bust a little F13 II!

3. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

remember seeing tv and paper ads for it. I was only 9 hadn't even seen part 1 yet.

4. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Wow. My first and favorite Friday. Saw this in theaters with my dad the Saturday after it opened. 34 years. The theater I saw it in has been gone since the late 90s. In fact every theater in my town that was open 34 years ago has been demolished. Fuck I am old.

5. ronnie21

eric, awesome story. quite a memory, yes. most iam sorry all theaters from 30 years ago are gone... I miss those twin theaters..

6. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Can't believe 34 years have passed. I was 12 years old when my mom took me and my brother to see Part 2 when it was originally released along with many other horror movies from between 1978 through about 1986. My mom was a horror fan and I was blessed to have a mom that took me and my brother to the movies and took us to see horror movies almost every weekend.

7. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I think most of the malls with theaters I used to go to are still around. Some are closed. Some theaters were upgraded. I was looking at that dead malls site a few weeks back. Pretty sad to see.

It's different now though. You always read about bad movie going experiences because of people using phones, talking, etc. It wasn't like that back then. At least for me. I guess that's why I enjoy horror movies more at home now with my setup.

Too bad there isn't a good anniversary poster for Friday the 13th Part 2. At least not yet. I guess someone will get around to making one eventually.

8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

This was the first Friday the 13th film I saw in the theater. Would have been 15 at the time. Watched the original Friday on VHS that my brother and I rented from Blockbuster.

9. wago70

Friday May 1, 1981 - I couldn't get ANY adult/older teen to take me to see this no matter how hard I tried to sell them on the experience. Mind you, I hadn't even seen the FIRST film yet (it would premiere on Showtime and HBO in August of '81) but there was so much buzz about the first film that it just made you want to see it. The TV trailers helped, too ;)
    That didn't stop me from clipping all the sizable newspaper ads in my local papers which I still have :)
    Later that month, Mamma finally relented - if I did well on my school tests she'd take me to see Friday Part 2 (yes, without even seeing Part 1 first). That day came - it was a Friday - and they pulled Part 2 from our first run theater. I was gutted...but good ol' mom had a solution - isn't this Happy Birthday to Me movie supposed to be scary? So that's what we saw - my first R rated horror movie in a theater opening night.
    Anyway, FRIDAY 1 premiered on cable and delivered the goods BETTER than I could have imagined. Come November of '81, I finally got my chance to see PART 2 in the theater when PART 1 AND 2 played together on re-release. Mission accomplished and have been a major fan ever since. Oh yeah - even though we were all only 11 years old, the theater let us all see the films.

10. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

When it opened here it paired with The Exorcist. I was 12 and didn't get to see it until about a year later when released on home video. I had Beta player at the time and it took ages to find a copy but there were tons VHS copies everywhere.

11. wago70

I remember being blown away by the Jason/Ginny cat and mouse sequence. I was so scared I wanted to bolt into the lobby. The audience was into it, cheering every time Ginny got the advantage. The final jolt got us good, too. The second-run theater experience had its golden moments.
    The theater was sparse when the first film was shown but I remember the film looking so much more colorful than the Showtime version. For example - the blood was actually RED and not black (our TV was O L D). In a weird way it was like seeing the film for the first time. The cable version on our TV was DARK.

12. ronnie21

Wago70. awesome. happy birthday to me was the first Rrated horror movie I seen in summer of 82 on cable over my cousins, I was 9, scared me good, I thought that woman was coming after me at 330 in the morning. I couldn't go back to sleep, I waited till dawn which seemed like forever. that did however get me more into horror, Halloween tv debut in oct of 81 was what started it... anyway. heres that ad for that double feature in fall of 81..

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/18012/photos/78012

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

... and Happy 35th to the original Friday The 13th, the one that started the franchise. Opened May 9th, 1980.

14. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

They must have really promoted the film. I have a clipping from May 4th stating the film was opening on Friday. It is a relatively large ad too.

15. ronnie21

omg, I remember this ad with the red ink, awesome to see again,,

16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Fun, I can smell the newspaper when looking at those!

17. wago70

Yep, that's the ad! Thanks for posting! I used to have that Halloween II ad as well but the cat seemed inappropriate to me so I think I got rid of it.

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Uproxx recently posted a big retrospective on the original Friday The 13th, including an interview with Kevin Bacon.

If you've read On Location In Blairstown, Crystal Lake Memories, or Making Friday The 13th, there isn't anything here you haven't seen before. However, it's nice to see some quotes from Kevin Bacon, since all the books pretty much use just the same one quote he gave.