Happy Birthday to Me and FEARnet and Anchor Bay's DVD

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by vampyr789, Jul 17, 2009.

1. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

okay why is it that everytime i watch HBTM on fearnet it has the original music (im not mad what so ever...lol) and that there are no plans to release this anytime soon???!?!? it has the same beautiful transfer on current DVD, but with the better more creepy original music.

here is the link if u want to watch it

i love the old music, it makes it feel like an actualy serious horror film, while the disco music makes it feel like a cheesy/campy not serious horror film. (IMO)

lol read the comments....

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

As I understand it it was a licensing problem with the music.The original theatrical release of the film (and screenings on some other mediums )were covered by the monetary agreements made at the time of release,the original music was licensed for use in those screenings.TV airings were covered but later,newer mediums (like DVD,which wasn't around when the film was made) were not and the studio found it cheaper to plug in new music rather than pay new fees to reuse the old tracks.That happens quite a bit with song rights on TV shows (like WKRP IN CINCINNATTI which dropped some songs from it's soundtracks when it hit DVD rather than pay to reuse all of the old songs from the original run),it's less common when your talking about a background score,though that does happen too (it did recently when TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE hit DVD).Some movies drop small bits of music due to this issue (like the 1979 DRACULA ,which dropped a few seconds) but it's usually not as noticeable than it was with HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME, which dropped creepy instrumental music and replaced it with disco material.Sometimes rights just expire and the studios don't wanna pony up to renew them (as was the case when the final season of CHARMED hit DVD with different opening credits music).

If anyone knows more about the specific case with HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME please chime in,I know this has been discussed before on the forum,I'm just throwing out some general scenarios here.

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I think the new score on the DVD was an unused score (or possibly the original score to the film?) that was later dropped when the studio decided to go with the score we were all familiar with.

So this can be one of two things:
    1. It's a really rare pre-release score to the film, which I think it is (since the same people are credited for doing the music) - so we might actually have something rare on our hands. So in essence, the "new" score might ACTUALLY be the "original" score to the film. --OR--
    2. It was just licensing issues, and they just used library music and made it fit into the film (which I actually doubt).

Personally, I prefer the old score over the opening credits, but other than that...each one has its benefits. The new score adds music cues where there were none before, and then doesn't have them where cues used to be and vice versa with the "original" score.

There was a guy on ioffer.com who was selling copies of the film with the original score synced up with the widescreen DVD transfer. I have a copy, it looks and sounds great!

~Matt

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, the original score was not used on the DVD release for licensing issues. I emailed Sony back when it was released and that was their "official explanation" replied back (believe it or not).

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

The German dubbed R2 DVD has the original score, so I assume licensing issues affect only North America and maybe 'English speaking' territories?

6. vampyr789

lol i have the original VHS, so im set, id just love to see a new DVD...

7. Beastus

Beastus New Member

Anchor Bay is releasing this on DVD this fall. Hopefully they may have sorted out the licensing issue, although I doubt it.

8. vampyr789

:eek: where did u hear this?!!?!?!?!?! source or link please!!! :confused:

9. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Watching the opening of HBTM with the original music is like watching a completely different, much better, film.

I never ventured further than the opening with the original score, because the dialogue track is dubbed on the dvd, but the difference is crazy.

10. Horrorsexual

Horrorsexual New Member

I'm very excited for the new dvd re-release.
    BTW I knew FearNet was playing this but I had no idea it had the "original" score and it's totally feels different...love it...even though Im already used to that cheesy 80's music hehehe. :eek2:

11. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
  12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

13. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I remember the TV spots being really fun (and the narration being very creepy, "...poor Virginia..." just as a body falls in front of her). Wish they'd have included one!~
    Oh well, hopefully the trailer is in good conditions.
    Guess the effects aren't the R-rated Theatrical version (well, nobody has touched on this yet for this new release.)
    Fingers crossed, but it's a sure buy regardless.

14. vampyr789

From DVDTalk review:
    well that is another step above the columbia DVD. We get the original poster art, original trailer, and original music score....and maybe an uncut print...:confused:

15. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

If it aint uncut, or doesnt have a SHITLOAD of new bonus features, Im not buying.

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Guys I seriously doubt it's uncut. One of those reviewers would've noticed it, or it would've been advertised. Point is, if it was uncut, we'd already be aware of it.

~Matt

17. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

This is Anchor Bay, after all. They're not shy about letting people know if their release is "Uncut and Uncensored for the First Time in America!"

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

~Matt

19. springjack

springjack New Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  20. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

it will have the original soundtrack that is what it's main selling point is