Happy Birthday to Me and FEARnet and Anchor Bay's DVD

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by vampyr789, Jul 17, 2009.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

How do you always seem to find the back cover art for every pre-release DVD? It's sick lol. Thanks.

~Matt

3. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

is anyone gonna keep Columbia's DVD? (im gonna keep it b/c the "new" score is so goofy) but i am most defiantly keeping this one

4. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i probably will keep the old dvd just for nostalgia

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm still gonna keep my old DVD. Anybody know if this is a new transfer too?

~Matt

6. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I just ordered this from DeepDiscount as well. Now hopefully they dont pull what they did with the MBV dvd and release a blu-ray less then a year later. For some reason I dont see this one getting a blu-ray anytime soon if ever but I was really surprised when the original MBV got one one months after the dvd release. Probably had something to do with the success of the remake and strong sales of the original re-release on dvd.

7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I will keep mine as well. I hate the songs but some of the music cues are good (Bernadette's chase in the car park) and, a few times, the LACK of music is very effective (Virginia seeing the shadow in the shower curtain). I prefer the theatrical release music, overall.

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yes! I actually don't like the theatrical score of that particular scene. For the main reason that well...there isn't any music. The music in the "new" score is very effective, almost chillingly upbeat and funky. It really is truly effective.

~Matt

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, new transfer. Looks quite a bit better. I will have a review up soon. :)

10. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I'm definitely keeping the Columbia disc but I'll also be picking up the new one.

11. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Starz:We want to give the fans what they want,what they've been clamoring for,soooo...

*Drum Roll*

Me:OMIGOD.We're finally getting Happy Birthday To Me uncut.I heard there's some great stuff that got trimmed by the fucking-

Starz:Wait-What?

Me:Well,you said you were gonna give the fans what they wanted-aside from the "corrected" score,what else is there?

Starz: Dammit! You SO just ruined our chance to announce the Death Balloons!

I would take this movie without a single feature,or original artwork-just give me what is supposed to be there-all of it!There was a lot of juicy gore sliced out for home release-and its available,if not in need of a bit of restoration. What has Anchor Bay/Starz come to anyway?Didn't the restored Bloody Valentine disc sales teach them anything about fan demand?

That said,I'll probably still grab it if I see it-just to be able to dump that shitty cover and the idiot girl with the possessed -looking eyes holding the cake.But I liked the replaced score better,as mentioned,during Bernadette's stalk n' chase.Excellent creepy vibe there.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, I'll still keep the old DVD for the alternate music cues. I'm just glad it's finally getting the original music score restored.

13. wago70

I'm more-than-pleased about this new release. It's actually kind of cool to have both versions. Who knew such a unique situation would occur with such a favorite flick? Of course, I'm more partial to the now-restored 1981 theatrical soundtrack...especially that opening credits score up to the point where Bernadette is knocked to the ground (I love the bombastic strings when she looks up to see who is standing above her.)

14. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Anyone see the cool gift with purchase that DDD is doing? A set of balloons, each with one of the murder weapons on them!

15. wago70

We need to work together and change the Trivia section at the IMDB. They list that the cuts made were to achieve an "R" rating which is untrue. The "R" rated theatrical release had all those so-called edits. It was the subsequent cable and video releases with the special effects edited down.

16. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Death balloons?! Sold!

17. Stige

Stige Active Member

wrong thread but I had no idea MBV was gettign the blu treatment, wonder if it will be region free ( and I have the happy birthday to me pre ordered, and would have no trouble quadr. dipping for a blu if it comes)

18. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Watch the whole movie online..

http://crackle.com/c/Happy_Birthday_To_Me/Happy_Birthday_To_Me/2479748#ml=fcmt%3d82%26fp%3d1%26fx%3d

From the site..

Why it Crackles

A definitive ‘80s slasher movie full of imagination, originality and demented kills.

-Most ads and posters for film had a picture of a young man about to be orally impaled on skewer of meat and veggies, with the slogan "John Will Never Eat Skisk Kebab Again." However, there is no character in the movie with this name.

-There were reports that secret several endings were shot. This helped hide the fact that while shooting, the film had no ending.

-When certain cast members were stuck in their gore make-up for hours on end, they decided to walk around the neighborhood scaring the hell out of people

19. wago70

I never get tired of this movie! Love it! Waiting patiently for the new release.

20. wago70

There was a midnight showing in L.A. at the New Beverly at the end of January. It was a theatrical print. Did anyone here attend? Was this the 1981 theatrical version with the gore effects intact?