Happy Birthday to Me finally on DVD!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by rhett, May 28, 2004.

1. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

I've changed my mind on the matter. Absolutely NOT supporting buying EITHER of these DVDs. Horrible covers, NO extras, changed audio... Why bother? My old RCA Columbia tape is just fine. And to top it off, I saw it for $16 at BB the other day. Not a friggin' chance.

2. dvdfan

dvdfan Member

What about the R2 UK DVD? Any word on that one yet?

3. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I think I'll wait for the SE that may (or may not) be released in the future. It's not a priority for me.

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Very nice. I think I will print this off now. Thanks for pointing it out.

6. zombiexfan

zombiexfan Guest

good movie but not worth the 20 bucks the co. wants for it

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I just received an email reply from Columbia/Tri-Star about the soundtrack changes on the Happy Birthday To Me DVD. Their full reply is listed below:

BUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :(

8. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Do you have a larger higher quality pic of this nice cover?

9. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

:eek:

I'm completely shocked at this. The closing song is still there. The main title theme was just an instrumental version of this. How could there be rights issues with only part of the score but not the closing song?

Most of the time, only songs are nixed due to rights issues. Not instrumental pieces. This makes no sense, Columbia. :(

Ah well. Thanks for posting your reply, Katatonia. :)

10. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Thanks for posting. That was horse-sh*t Columbia fed us. Okay - fine. German DVD here I come. The German dubbed version has the original score and it's subtitled in English. I give them my money.

11. wago70

HB: where can I order this gem?

12. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Yeah, I'm not much one for conspiracy theories, but in this case, I believe this is merely a cover story concocted to shield themselves for using the wrong print.

13. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Are we sure that the German DVD has the original score? I thought I heard somewhere that it didn't, but with no memory of where I heard that, I could be wrong.

14. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

If it was a legal issue, how come the original score is included in the R2 disc with the German audio option?

15. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

The German dubbed audio track of HBTM has the original score, checked it myself.

16. wago70

I got the same form email from Columbia. Oh well.

17. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

Re: the different scores used in Germany vs. USA, do you think it's possible that maybe rights issues are different from country to country? In otherwords, even though Columbia is probably most definitely full of shit, perhaps they are telling the truth? That maybe the rights were cleared overseas but weren't here in the states?

I know that a lot of titles are released in Japan and Europe that have yet to even see a VHS release here in the states, all because of copyright issues, so I am not sure why the same screwy deal wouldn't apply for music copyrights....

Sigh..I'm sure bottom line, it's a crock of shit...just like everything else has turned out to be.

I wonder what the DVD scene is like in Canada.

18. betterdan

betterdan Guest

But if they had the music rights in Germany for that disc wouldn't it not matter if the dialogue was in German or English? I mean wouldn't the music be the same for both languages since they have the rights over there? Hell I don't know :hum:

19. Scary_Woman

Scary_Woman Guest

I Bought It Today

I finally bought it today on dvd and just finished watching it about five minutes ago. The only thing that I found different than the vhs copy is the music in the very beginning and during the movie but I still enjoyed it.
    Also, the cover is totally different than the vhs copy but it's pretty cool.

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-- do you think it's possible that maybe rights issues are different from country to country--

I think the rights are indeed country specific. Same with the main feature on DVD's, movies are licensed in each region - and the language tracks are licensed SEPERATELY (so you end up with different version combinations within a region). That's why the french don't tend to bother putting English tracks on, and the English don't tend to include foreign language tracks.

It would not at all surprise me if music is the same. Of course, Columbia could have gone ahead and paid for whatever rights they needed, but apparently they chose not to for the english language tracks.