Happy Birthday to Me finally on DVD!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by rhett, May 28, 2004.

1. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

That cover is a joke, that IS a castle in the background!! What the heck does that have do with the movie, it was filmed in Hudson, Quebec for God's sake, there ain't no medieval castles there.
    In the past, I have actually bought films because of cool cover art-ie The Prowler dvd from Blue Underground-this is the first packaging that would deter me from buying the DVD.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Who the hell designed that layout for the cover :fucked: .I sure hope they change it before release date.That is pure shit.

3. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

CTHV_CustomerService@spe.sony.com

Again, I urge everyone to e-mail them and politely let them know what you think.

Still over 2 months away from release date. Plenty of time for a cover change, but they have to be made aware that there is a backlash, and well judging by the reaction on this and other online forums...there IS a backlash. :)

4. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

The dvd is going to be up on a shelf, so all I'm going to be looking at is the spine anyway. I'm grateful to Columbia for even releasing this old flick, and that I won't have to watch a shitty looking vhs tape for the rest of my life.

5. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I am grateful as well Tawny but you have to admit the cover looks like complete dog shit.

6. Tawny

Well, not dog shit, but maybe close. I'm not too picky I guess.

7. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Cat shit then?

8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Is that cover art a joke?? I'm seriously going to cry if they release the DVD like that - it's fucking awful! :cry:

EDIT: I'm still going to get the disc, with or without that turd of a cover, but seriously, that is the worst cover art for a DVD I've ever seen in my life; not just because it looks bad but because it has nothing to do with the movie whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2004
  9. Tawny

It's shit in a "what the hell does this have to do with the movie" type of a way. A good transfer is what is most important to me, and if Columbia wouldn't have come through on that end, I would be pissed, because then I could do nothing about it. At least you guys who are complaining can always make your own art, or get the poster. Look on the bright side.:)

10. Luna

Luna Guest

Oh my god, that cover art SUCKS. Why not just use the VHS art? Ugh!!!

11. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Here's the e-mail I sent them. Slightly rude, yes... but to the point:

Dear Columbia,

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me this is a joke. I don't mean to sound rude, but I really think you guys misinterpreted what Happy Birthday To Me is all about with that horrid mishmash of a cover. A possessed chick with a birthday cake? What happened to the great shishkabob poster art that everyone remembers? And if we can't have that, you could at least put Melissa Sue Anderson on the cover - the girl that is actually IN the movie. I know a lot of fans are upset by this decision, and we'd like for you to rethink the presentation for this classic film. We are grateful you are releasing it in widescreen, but at least take more ideas into consideration when planning the cover art for a DVD!

Thank you for listening to my complaint... I know that it is valid enough to warrant a change.

Sincerely,

Ryan

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I sent one with a similar tone....angered yet polite.

I would consider buying it just for the Giggle Factor. Showing that to anyone who knows their 80s videostore coverbox art will produce quite a stir (obviously) and might be funny. Or not.

I'll buy it if it's under $7 but I won't be shelling out the $25 they say it'll run. Not for zero extras. No way.

13. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I'm grateful for the film, too. But there has to be a line drawn here. That presentation is unacceptable.

14. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

I'm not picky about cover art either but this is terrible and the price is a bit high for a barebones title. The special editions of Candyman and Christine are cheaper than this.

15. Tawny

I'll be getting it, original artwork or not. Because you can't judge a book(or dvd) by its cover.;)

16. rhett

rhett Administrator

Damn, Dan, that was hot! :banana:

17. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Damn straight it's hot.

/me slinks off to relieve himself

18. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I'd rather have the film's theatrical trailer than the original cover art, and I have the film's original poster anyways. I'm sick of Columbia putting trailer's for everything other than the film the DVD is for on their releases.

19. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I'm wondering what movie we'll have to buy in order to get the trailer for Happy Birthday to Me?

20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It amazes me that they didn't at least put the trailer on. The retail price is going to be what, $24.96 or something?

On the recent Castle Keep DVD, Columbia criminally released the film full screen...yet put the trailer on in the DVD at 2.35:1 just to piss everyone off!