Happy Birthday to Me finally on DVD!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by rhett, May 28, 2004.

1. The cover does look like complete dog shit! They better do this one uncut as well, the assclowns!

2. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I always assumed that it would be released uncut Is there any word on if it is or not? I'm not sure about anything involving this movie after seeing that cover.

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

OMG that artwork looks like shit! btw, has anyone seen the new cover art for the R1 release of Terror Train??? They make it look like some crappy straight-to-video horror movie made in 2002.

But is Happy Birthday to Me any good? What's it even about? I've never seen it.

~Matt

4. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

The artwork for Terror Train isn't THAT bad; at least they put someone who was actually IN the movie on the cover!

I love Happy Birthday to Me... it's about a group of friends and a killer who is stalking them, and they get knocked off one by one. It's rather complicated, and I wouldn't want to spoil it, so I'll leave it at that. Maybe someone else will be able to explain the plot better than I can. ;)

5. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

And at least Terror Train's DVD art has the classic "Conductor" image from the original theatrical poster. I'm happy with it.

Crawford Academy's top ten are being killed off one-by-one and...well yeah, that's pretty much it. ;)

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

LOL alright, cool. Thanks guys. I'll probably check this out when it comes out on DVD! :D

~Matt

7. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Looks like the shitty Columbia has fucked up the film's soundtrack. The following comes from DVDTalk:

*** BAD NEWS*** for fans of this flick. Sony-Columbia dropped the ball big time on this DVD release.

The entire film has been rescored. All of the original music is gone and has been replaced with a new score - including different cues and music in places where there never was any music before. Don't know why they did this and there's no mention of "music rescored" anywhere on the packaging. But it's all been changed, folks!

On top of that, it's the same old R-rated version - none of the cut moments have been restored.

I think most of us could live with the same R-rated version we've seen for years, but with all the music changed now, this is not the film we know and love. Considering Sony added the poster art insert after the fan's outcries and letter writing campaign, it's astonishing that Sony thinks they can get away with wiping out the film's original music without anyone noticing. Horror fans are a lot smarter than you think, Sony.

Another botched horror title. And they want $24.95 for it!
    --------------

I've always considered Columbia one of the worst studios out there, so this doesn't surprise me. :rolleyes:

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Listen up, Sony. I will never, EVER buy this or any other "rescored" product. WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING?!

9. Well you're lucky they are releasing the movie at all if you wanna be completely honest.

10. RickB

RickB New Member

I'm sick of studios thinking us horror fans are so stupid we won't notice something has been cut or changed. Is the song in the rolling credits gone too? I can't believe they'd have the nerve to change that song. This movie plays on cable all the time in the original form why must it be changed for the DVD?????????????????????????

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The entire film rescored??? How pathetic. Fork you Sony!

12. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

So much for that. (strikes it from my to get list)

13. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Universal pulled the old switcharoo with the music on the Mask dvd also. This really pisses me off.

14. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I find this out after it is mailed. First that ugly ass cover and now this. I am not sure if I am going to keep it or send it back though. My VHS of this died a long time ago.

15. Luna

Luna Guest

What. The. FUCK.

No, really. Rescoring?? The cover obviously isn't the worst crime here anymore, though it's pretty bad too. Nowhere near as bad as putting different music to a freakin' movie for no apparent reason. What are these people smoking??

I'll be keeping my VHS copy.

16. Myron Breck

:bs:
    I'd have to disagree on that one, and it looks like a few others feel the same way. It's time these distribution companies realized that there are all types of movie fans. Just because a movie didn't sweep Oscars Night doesn't mean it is okay to edit, rescore, or otherwise tinker with.
    I refuse to Thank Sony for this release. Companies like Anchor Bay continue to deliver to our fan base and I'll gladly wait another 5 years for this title. Maybe someone will do it right.
    But that's just my opinion on it.

17. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

This stinks. It looks like my Vhs to DVD+R transfer has just been saved from coaster-dom.

18. evileye

evileye Member

Was this based on a review?
    I can only find one post from someone in DVDTALK and it was not anyone connected with the site. I have yet to see 1 review of this title. I could forsee a pop song being left off for reights reasons, but not a whole score replaced. I would love to see someone at Sony asking their production department to shell out extra $$$ for a 1981 slasher movie to be rescored.

This one may rank up there with that special edition of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 everyone was screaming about. I'm definietly curious. If only someone could convince Disney to rescore HALLOWEEN H20!!!

19. I think we ARE in fact lucky to get any obscure 80's slashers on DVD, whether rescored or not and until I hear the music on the DVD for myself I won't be believing that it's been rescored.

20. Myron Breck

I hope you're right NewShoes.......for the sake of the worlds children.