Happy Birthday to Me finally on DVD!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by rhett, May 28, 2004.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

If Columbia has indeed done this, it wouldn't surprise me, since they have pulled this shit before. Save for the first season of Dawson's Creek, every other season has had all its music totally changed and rescored (hell, even the theme song is different on seasons 3 and 4). Columbia has definitely been the most unreliable and overall worst studio of all the majors. They release pan and scan product (like PERFECT), lie about their titles (like saying the GIDGET COLLETION would be in widescreen when it ended up being P&S at the last minute) and double dip more than most other studios (SUPERSHIT titles for example). It distresses me to know that they now control MGM, who have been one of the best studios as of late.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Well said Rhett. They really pissed me off recently on the Castle Keep DVD (I've mentioned this before in another thread, I know) by releasing it as Pan/Scan and having the nerve to add the 2.35:1 widescreen trailer on the disc!

I just hope their stupidity doesn't rub off on MGM products now. :fucked:

3. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

I'm hoping that this is just a rumour and until I see an official review or hear it with my own ears, I won't believe it. It's sad that Columbia now owns MGM instead of Warner. This year Warner has become one of the best in my opinion with such great releases like The Bad Seed, Dead Ringer, Freaks, The Lost Boys SE and the many Hitchcock titles. They still have more coming on the 5th that I'm sure will also be nice. They use original artwork and have now started using Keep cases. Columbia's DVD's are overpriced, contain little to none extras and have horrible cover art. I'll end with that as this is becoming depressing. :fucked:

4. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Another poster at DVDTalk says the end title song IS on the disc.

So, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what all has been changed, if anything, when we get the disc ourselves.

5. I'm hoping the audio issues on this disc are the same as the audio issues on the Star Wars Trilogy set....NON existent.

And will Sony allow MGM to still operate as a seperate entity? If so then no problems. I'm hoping that's the case.

6. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Columbia also has a no unrated policy, and a lot of their transfers are shoddy. I hate them. The day Sony/Columbia acquired MGM was one of the darkest days in DVD history.

7. WOW Someone had better inform them of their no unrated DVD's policy then cause they've released unrated DVD's before.

8. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I've read on more than one occasion that they have a no unrated policy. Personally, I can't recall any unrated DVDs they've released, though there could easily be some I forgot or don't know about. Either way, unrated releases or not, they still suck as far as I'm concerned.

9. They've released a few comedies unrated (Charlie's Angels Full Throttle, The Animal)...they do suck indeed but they've released unrated movies before.

10. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I see. I don't care anything about Charlie's Angels. I enjoyed The Animal, but thought Universal released it for some reason. I understand why I believed what I'd read now. I wonder if they ever released an unrated catalog title.

11. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

They also released UNDERWORLD unrated, plus the upcoming HELLBOY director's cut will be not rated. Not sure about catalog titles though.

12. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I fucking HATE Columbia with a passion, regardless of what they have done right in the past. The original score for Happy Birthday to Me was just fine and the film didn't need rescoring. I can live with the bad cover... but this, I dunno. I suppose I'll end up buying it but also keep my VHS just in case the new score sucks ass.

13. evileye

evileye Member

MORE BAD NEWS:

John Williams is rescoring NIGHT SCHOOL and Kylie Minogue tunes have been added to LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT's 2005 S.E.

Seriously, I think everyone is getting riled up prematurely. I would wait for a review before going ballistic. I can find no confirmation of this anywhere beyond 1 bullshit posting.

If a RELIABLE source confirms this.... then bring out the big guns!

14. betterdan

betterdan Guest

No offense but you tell people not to get riled up because the rescoring of HBTM may be the result of just 1 BS posting then you go on to say that a couple of other movies are being rescored. Is that just another BS post or actually confirmed?

By the way what Last house On The Left 2005 S.E are you talking about?

15. evileye

evileye Member

Ahem.....
    If you seriously could not see sarcasm in the joke I posted, I have some real estate to sell you quick.

Lets see how many outrageous DVD we can cook up and see how many people assume they are real and post them all over the net!!!

16. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Sorry I didn't see the sarcasm :( I have no idea who Kylie Minogue is and I've never seen Night School.
    Now how much do you want for that real estate?:)

17. onebyone

onebyone Guest

You know I like you betterdan, but I don't know where to start laughing at you. You gave me so much to snicker at in this thread. :lol:

18. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I even laugh at myself a lot, and believe me there is a lot to laugh at. I love me:D

19. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I'd kill to hear a dancefloor-anthem-style Kylie mix of "The Road Goes to Nowhere" (or whatever it's called). HA!

20. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Rescored? (at least rumored to be) - I dunno, I'm not too hurt by that. HBTM currently sounds a little too much like a Made for TV flick. I know...it's the one we all know but I'm wondering if a score re-do wouldn't be such a bad thing after all.
    I remember seeing this when it came out - my mother took me to it since The Funhouse (co-featured with The Fan) had stopped playing. It was about a week before I was finishing 6th grade (how odd it seems to actually write that down!). It was much better than I had expected (I so wanted to see The Funhouse that night) and I told all the kids at school about it the coming Monday. When it was on cable even my mother noticed scenes were cut and encouraged me to write a letter to Showtime asking about it.