Happy Birthday to Me finally on DVD!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by rhett, May 28, 2004.

1. krylonman

krylonman Guest

Oooooohhhhh. Now I get it. I was desperately trying to figure out why they would bother, frankly, to go through the trouble of changing the music, but this makes a lot more sense.

I've seen several titles that were obviously mistakenly transferred from an "unfinished" version of a movie. This is fun for me, as I work in post-production and enjoy pointing out the tell-tale signs (see below), but this is lousy if you just want to watch the damn movie.

The only other disc I've seen with several really obvious changes is 'Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter,' which has a couple of music cues missing and--I think--hadn't yet had all of the color properly corrected in the print they used. Color correction, you see, is done to make various shots match up to each other if they didn't before--if Shot B looks bluish compared to Shot A, but they're both supposed to be part of the same scene. If it hasn't been done yet, it looks more or less like 'The Final Chapter' does on DVD, with scenes jumping from reddish to bluish to greenish (although even that doesn't explain how it changes from one to the other in the middle of one shot). This is also why, when Jason turns out the lights in the bathroom near the end, nothing happens: now it's obvious that it wasn't dark enough to register when they filmed it, and so they had to darken it again in post, *after* whenever this print was made.

All of which is a long way of saying, it looks like they actually managed to do the same thing here and transfer an intermediate version of 'Happy Birthday to Me,' with a temp score in place instead of the one that was eventually written for the movie. This is like reissuing a book by picking up the Xeroxed manuscript from someone's desk and shipping it off to the book-binder, so that the finished product still has all of the mistakes and notes in the margins. Awful cover art aside (though it's really bad), making an error like this can only be the result of awesome indifference towards catalog titles like this one.

P.S. The original score was nominated for a Genie, and though most of my enjoyment from the movie comes from its being such a delirious train wreck in the screenwriting department, I do have to say that the music was notably good.

2. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

Re: Image vs. Goodtimes, isn't it true that sometimes Image will be responsible for transfers actually released by other companies? On Image's website, they have a rather extensive upcoming/new release listing of all their transfers, and I'm almost 100% sure that some I've purchased were not "Image releases", but movies that were released under other labels and Image was responsible for the actual transfer of the film...Am I high?

3. evileye

evileye Member

Just happened to read the retrospective in FANGORIA on HBTM and they mention much of the score was added to/changed by Columbia prior to release. This may be an older track from the production.

4. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

I think you are right on that.They sometimes have new releases by other companies listed on their up and coming.Unless they just distribute them. :confused:

5. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

What really sucked in reading the new fangoria article was seeing stills of the uncut versions of some of the kills (the shish-kebab, motorcycle tire to the head) and seeing how juicy they looked, only to be reminded that we will still not be seeing these on this cut, overpriced, and altered for the worse TV with a cover that is absolute shit. Thanks, Columbia!

6. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Just finished Friday the 13th box set.I know how you feel.

7. I don't mind movies that aren't uncut...I'm not so much on the gore anyway.

8. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

It's not just the gore,its the fact that the movie is incomplete and even worse then that someone else is deciding what we can and can't watch.Everything should be released in uncut form.If we don't want to watch it we don't have to.Paramount has made so much money off of us the consumer over the years from the Friday series,they owe it to us!

9. betterdan

betterdan Guest

As much as I would love to see an uncut copy I have to say Paramount doesn't owe us jack shit.

10. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Apperentley they don't think so either with the lame as DVDs they release.There was some good stuff on the bonus disc but there could have been so much more.Also the audio on the part 3 commentary was awful.Columbia also don't add much to their DVDs either.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  11. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

where are these stills ? the new fangoria issue?

12. RickB

RickB New Member

Well after seeing the uncut footage on the F13th set I really walked away feeling I didn't miss too much. I mean what was cut from F13th part 1 was so little it was hardly noticable (with Kevin Bacon's death being the ONLY major difference) part 4's uncut footage was boring.
    Thing is every movie ever made is cut. Stuff is filmed for every movie that ends up on the cutting room floor,but the stuff cut from F13th films...well alot of it seemed bad to begin with. For instance in F13th 7 I think it looked better that the girl in the sleeping bag died with the very first blow. Showed how mighty Jason was to kill her instantly with one blow. Unless the scene cut is one of total importance such as Amityville 2,to not show the father getting shot was just a major bad move and I'm glad it was fixed on the new DVD...and My bloody Valentine really needed a few of the gory scenes left in (especially the death with the girl and the shower head or Howard losing his head) but most of all I enjoyed the F13th films just as they were. The cuts in most of the death scenes were very little to make such a fuzz over.

After watching the stuff cut from part 7,from the way most of you talked I was expecting some really great stuff,but it all seemed pretty much done before to me in other films. I mean didn't Jason put his hand through another guy's chest in part 5 or 6? The girl with the money in her hand in the pool of water I mean so you see a few clips of bloddy water I can see that in Jaws. The greatest scene of all was the guy who's head was crushed like a walnut...and you know what? I think the guy who's head Jason crushed in part 3 was done way better. I don't know maybe it's just me (probably so) but I liked the interviews on each film much more then I liked the cut footage.

13. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Yep most of the footage was pretty lame but I think there was footage for the other movies that was not included.They were right about the father coming out of the lake in part 7 though.The skeleton look was much better and made more sense.

14. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

It sucked that they had no one else to talk to besides Cory Feldman for part 5 too.That is one of my favorites and it got the least attention.

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I think Friday the 13th works great with the cut violence intact. I hate it when the screens turns to white just when things really get going.
    Now, PART 2 - that is the one that could use the effects back in the film.

16. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Yes part 2 is lacking.

17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I'm still disturbed by Happy Birthday To Me's treatment thus far for DVD.
    Why can't these unfortunate circumstances happen to movies like Road Trip or Freddy Got Fingered?

18. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

I guess us horror fans just don't matter. :(

19. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Agreed! I would love to see the legendary shot of Mrs. Voohrees severed head opening its eyes...also...someone needs to say what exactly happened to Paul at the end...it has always been annoying to me that it was never addressed at all...while he obviously was killed it would have been nice to at least have it mentioned.
    I read that the actor, John Furey walked off the set before shooting was done...perhaps something else was planned...but I have accepted the fact that I will never know.

20. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Those happy Birthday stills are in the newest fango that I got in the mail a couple of days ago. friday 2 is the one that I would definitely be most interested in seeing the uncut footage for, as I think that was the most butchered entry due to all of the uproar over the first one.