Happy Birthday to Me finally on DVD!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by rhett, May 28, 2004.

1. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

friday part2 had a total of 48 seconds of just gore footage cut, not 48 seconds contained in the scene ,but of blood flow and effects , thats a lot

2. RickB

RickB New Member

I do agree part 2 was very tame it could of used a bit more blood. Not sure about the mother's head opening it's eyes. Paramount thought it looked lame and without seeing it myself I kind of agree it would have looked silly. At least when she came out of the lake in part 3 it was a dream. Personally I always felt she should have jumped out of the lake without her head.

3. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Yes! when I saw this flick in '81 many people leaving the theater kept saying "the first one was gorier" and "man, that was pretty tame!"
    If the chase scene between Ginny and Jason weren't so scary (I was on the EDGE that whole time and it's a long sequence...chilling it was...CHILLING!!!!) I would have been mostly disappointed.
    My mother commented about HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME being *cut* when it was on cable a year after we saw it. My ma goes, "they showed MORE at the theater...I'll never forget what happened to that guy and his motorbike!"
    she was right - that theatrical version was actually something special...those effects were better (in my eyes) than the Friday the 13th effects. I mean they looked REAL. But I was only 11 at the time - but pretty critical of my horror movies! Even then! We paid attention to what looked fake and what didn't.

4. evileye

evileye Member

So.. where's the review???
    The suspense is killing me! And if you are waiting for Columbia... good luck. I'm sure they could care less.

5. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I've sent it to George (the webmaster/editor) and he should be posting it sometime later today.

I gave Columbia a week, and heard nothing back from them. If I ever do, I will let everyone know, immediately.

6. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

7. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

Excellent review, Wes!!! I'll be picking it up but if the musical score is that distracting I'll be sure to sell it much like I did with ROTLD 2.

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Great review. It kinda sucks about the score (I suppose) but I guess I can live with it. Picking this up when available.

9. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I'm still excited to get this one, so hopefully the new score won't be too distracting.

10. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

great review

11. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Thanks for the kind words, regarding my review. :)

Whether you buy the disc or not, I suggest everyone sent a polite little e-mail to Columbia, commenting on your concerns about the audio changes made to the film for this DVD release.

CTHV_CustomerService@spe.sony.com

This worked (somewhat) regarding the cover art. Columbia *did* listen, even if it was too late to change the main artwork. Perhaps we can get them to offer an official explanation as to what happened here.

Remember though, be polite!

12. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

im not going to waste $20+ on this shit. sorry ive been spoiled with the likes of mgm, blue underground, and the like. maybe for $10 but $20 is too much for this. makes an athiest like me thank god for blue underground. major studios take note.

edit: nice review wes! you saved me $20 that i can now use for the dawn of the dead director's cut!

13. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Good review. I think I'll give this dvd a shot.

14. I'm definitely buying it after that review, I've seen the movie one time, the music isn't gonna make a difference to me. I paid 20 bucks for Just One of the Guys and that wasn't even widescreen.

15. zombiexfan

zombiexfan Guest

[​IMG] hi i have heard about happy birthday to me. is it any good? :D

16. zombiexfan

zombiexfan Guest

hi everyonei am new to this place can you tell me any good movies for halloween?thanks.[​IMG] :)

17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I'm not buying it. I'm seeking out the cassette tape or the Japanese laserdisc. IF they had at least included the trailer I would have this on pre-order but they're not getting my money for this bungled job. There are too many other excellent releases of these classic modern films elsewhere.

18. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Yeah. This one, content-wise, should have been a natural for Columbia's heavy presence in Walmart's $5.50 bargain bin.

However, it does have a good video transfer. The best feature about the disc, easily.

19. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

whew! That was a big thread. I understand all the complaints about the issues here, especially the score. This is one of the celebrated slashers that I remember a babysitter telling me about when I was little. I love the direction of J. Lee Thompson, but I've never seen the film. I'll be getting the DVD for sure.

20. krylonman

krylonman Guest

Good review. Unfortunately I'm a big blabbermouth who managed to get ahold of this the other day, so here are my two cents.

Despite the sub-Olivia Newton-John song over the opening credits (guaranteed to make your stomach plummet if you've heard the original score), yes, generally it's not too bad. The only things I found really disastrous were the "happy" scenes ("Yay! Johnny got the big score in the soccer game!"), when the soundtrack would explode in an orgy of brass and disco beats. All of this stuff is definitely library music, almost certainly originally written for television; it's competent but not incredibly subtle. Definitely a temp track.

I'd say get it if you can't stand not having it, or if seeing a movie's temp track would actually interest you (I fall into both categories, sad to say), but otherwise wait and see if Columbia will reissue it. Especially with such a high retail price! Jesus, throw in a trailer at least.