Has anyone ever had any problems with Blue Underground discs skipping?

Discussion in 'General' started by Novosibirsk, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

I have maybe 3-4 DVDs that are barely watchable in my DVD player...very strange.

Autopsy, Shock, Delirium...they all skip.

This has also happened with a few No Shame discs. Could it be due to the "Region 0" NTSC status? aka time to get a new DVD player...

2. Hmmm interesting. I have an unusually long line of Blue-Underground discs, and all as of now work fine in my up-converter home theatre system player, but then again having Asperger's Syndrome and obsessive compulsive disorder, I take unusually GREAT care of my genre films on DVD.

Are the DVDs in fine condition? If not, maybe a new theater system is in order. Check around a lot, though. Try many other companies DVDs to make sure it's them as well. Try all the Blue-Underground discs you can find first.

3. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I have a bunch and they work fine. If your dvd player cannot play region 0 I'd say it is worth getting a new player.

4. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

Hmmm....yeah. All my BU discs are new and free of scratches, but it's just strange that the rest of my Reg. 1 discs work fine.

5. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

Yeah, I'm guessing this is what I'll have to do.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It depends on the DVD player also. If it's a cheap brand, it's more likely to have problems playing certain discs. It may skip in one player, and play just fine in another.

7. Was Anthropophagus on BU? If so when I bought that one at a Best Buy, it would not even play at all on my player, I had to use a different player, then I took the DVD back. I did not like the movie anyway.

8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Perhaps this is a dumb question but have you tried the discs on a friends player,someone with a different (or newer) machine ? My original DVD player (an early Pioneer) was unable to play certain DVR's and some overseas discs.I have picked up a new machine since and had no problems in that area.Try your discs in someone elses newer machine,if they play okay it might be time for an upgrade.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

No, that one was from Shriek Show/Media Blasters. I remember some of their older discs behaving oddly on my older (5+ years ago) Sony player.

10. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

I still can't get a Toolbox Murders to play and I've went through 5 of them. None of them played and I returned them.

11. Really? Whoa, that is interesting. The original Toolbox Murders (not the more modern Tobe Hooper one) was one of they're first titles as I recall, so I wonder if that has anything at all to do with defective discs? Though I doubt it, it's worth pondering. As I said I have a large number of they're stuff going back to The Prowler and Toolbox Murders, ect.

I'm sorry to hear that happened. Man goin' through five of'em.

12. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I have a some BU discs (15+) and this is the only one that skips. I watched the majority of them on my computer and all but this one played fine. I haven't tried it on any of the standalone players and I don't intend to, if all the others played fine on the PC then I would expect this one to play too. Even if it plays fine on another player doesn't mean the disc isn't defective, in my experience some are just better at handling errors than others. (For example, my Death Walks in High Heels will just stop about 1:20:00 into the movie on one player but in another it just starts to skip a little at that point and I can finish the movie.) If you can exchange these I'd just do that to be on the safe side, worry about the player after that.

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah I had a problem with few of thier discs. Not so much the ones I bought but the ones I rented.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That definitely sounds like more of a player compatibility issue than anything. It probably just doesn't like the way the DVD has been formatted. Replacing the disc isn't going to help.

15. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I haven't noticed any problems at all with any of the BU titles I own. But all their old Anchor Bay re-release stuff I never purchased because I own the original AB discs.
    I've heard several others complain about The Toolbox Murders. The first pressings of Toolbox, The Prowler & Shockwaves were done by Image, and they worked beautifully, no complaints from anyone. These Image pressings became obscure, then after BU switched to Ryko, they pressed more copies of all three. Everyone was complaining about Toolbox not playing or freezing up with the Ryko discs. Strangely, the other two seemed to made the transition flawlessly. So, for a playable Toolbox Murders go to used shops and look for the Image logo on the back cover.

16. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

I think they must have had a bad pressing on this title. I had a similar problem, it would play so far and then just totally stop. Had to order a replacement and the replacement worked fine.

17. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I have a first pressing of The Toolbox Murders. There is no Image logo on the back cover.

18. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

19. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

I never had a problem with the Toolbox murders disc but I've had many other problems with other discs such as the "Abyss" and "Carlito's Way". I replaced those discs many times to no avail. The problems only stopped when I got rid of My old player and upgraded to a higher end player with the tilt mechanism drive that will play even damaged discs without a hitch. Now I can play any disc even the ones I used to have problems with.

I guess the old saying goes "you get what you pay for";)

20. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

Yeah. That is exactly what happened to me with Death Walks in High Heels...I had to FFWD for 10 minutes until it would work again.