Has being a parent affected your horror viewing habits?

Discussion in 'General' started by booper71, May 1, 2013.

1. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Also, I have the bonus of having a wife that adores horror flicks so we don't have arguments about what we're going to watch. 80s action flicks and sex comedies, old blaxploitation, rape and revenge flicks, she loves all of it. She even stuck around when I watched "Invasion of the Saucer Men" and enjoyed it, she totally gets why I love 50s sci-fi as well.

It's gonna be weird as hell if none of that rubs off on the kids, I have to say.

2. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Pix? :eek2:

3. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Ahh crap you boys are so lucky never mind............

[​IMG]

4. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I know that movies that show families in peril are much harder for me to watch now. Films that hit home, not Friday the 13th style slashers or other more fantasy oriented horror. That is an attitude adjustment, but as for viewing habits, yes I something have to wait until later to watch some of my flicks. My older son is 13 and some of them I let him watch, but I'm very selective.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

well said. when i was growing up, we didn't even own a tv and vcr. we had to rent those too (god, its incredible to think back to a time when that was common). we'd rent the tv and vcr, and about half a dozen movies, then spend the whole weekend watching them (sometimes over and over again). we had to rearrange the living room, pull the couch out into the middle of the room and set the tv up at one end. that shit was more exciting than christmas! it probably only happened once every three months or so (impossible to tell for sure, i was around 6 years old, but that's how it seemed), so renting movies is literally one of my favorite childhood memories. mostly Disney stuff, like The Love Bug, Pete's Dragon, Blackbeard's Ghost, The Apple Dumpling Gang. But also, later on we had stuff like star wars. its sad to think my girl won't have any idea what thats like. like you, i have nerdy dreams of introducing her to "young" horror films like Poltergeist, Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, The Monster Squad. I'll be pretty bummed if that doesn't happen.

6. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

I rented a NES and Sega Master System before, they wanted like $20 deposit and ten bucks a night, games were about five dollars for two nights.

7. booper71

I mentioned the games because back then VCRs were like a thousand bucks, but the rentals fell in the pattern of what I put that the games and systems were renting for.

8. booper71

Also, if a movie was BIG BOX, it would often have a special 99 cent rental rate, there was no big box I turned down while shunning the more expensive new rentals.

9. fart_mike

fart_mike New Member

Dobs, you posted this for me, didn't you? I'll bring the mustard!

As for the topic at hand, I've really had fun raising a now 8 year old daughter to not be afraid of horror...as a child, I was told by my mom that "oh, it's just a rubber mask! just remember, it's face paint and ketchup!"...with DVD supplements these days, my daughter gets the proof that I wasn't getting from my mom...she gets to see robert englund become freddy with glue and appliances...she's met a leatherface (bill johnson from part 2) and 2 jasons (cj graham and ted white) at conventions...and because i've seen these films so many times apiece, i can give her a sanitized viewing experience (with my trusty mute and chapter skip buttons)...

10. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Yes it has. When someone murders a kid in a movie and there is no dramatic excuse for it (just shock value) I want to shit in the director's mouth while his mom is watching.

11. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

This saddens me. She's pretty and has great skin at that weight, can you imagine how smoking she'd be if she dropped a bunch?

That said, HOT DOGS!