Has Phantasm ever aired in HD?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Dave, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

I saw a bootleg HD airing of Phantasm floating around. I was under the impression it has never aired in HD. Anyone know otherwise?

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Probably. Those space gates arrive at an infinite number of realities.

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Was it this one? https://torrentproject.se/84be5a30c161fcf1f22174e9ca586168d6c9576b/

I just came across it the other day actually and downloaded it. Tbh, it doesn't look HD to me, it's like a high-quality DVD rip. It's 6.69 GB so it must be bigger than the DVD file (which I do not own to compare the two - the Anchor Bay DVD is OOP and pretty expensive on eBay). Do they still hold the rights? I hope not.

~Matt

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I wonder if Phantasm ever was shown on Monsters HD. That would be the only place that it would have been. They were the first to have Horror films in HD. Many light years before their Blu Ray counterparts ever came out. Some even still not yet on Blu-Ray.

For example, I know for a fact they had Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III in HD. Another one was The Devil's Rain. The even had all three It's Alive movies. They had the uncut version of From Beyond BEFORE the standard DVD was even released. Salem's Lot and Return to Salem's Lot all in HD.

So if there was a HD of Phantasm, Monster HD would have been the place.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  5. Dave

Dave Pimp

Matt: Yeah I believe that is it.

I had Monsters HD for a few years and am pretty sure it never aired. Anything's possible. Wow I'm still pissed about Monsters HD going off the air. Fuck Dish. I still remember calling to cancel. When they asked why, it was pretty straight forward: Because you took Monsters HD off.

baggio likes this.
  6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yes, Dish dropping the channel was really bad. But then it was on Cablevision for little longer but then the company that ran the channel just cancelled the channel along with the other Voom channels. It was actually Dish Networks fault to the start of the demise of the channels. They broke the agreement with Voom. Which then Cablevision and Voom sued them. Rainbow Media/AMC ran the Voom network, which is a subsidiary of Cablevison. In 2009 Cablevision dropped the channels. Seems like it was longer than 2009, no?

Remember they also had a 24 hr Kung Fu HD channel and a Gunslinger HD(Westerns) Channelin the Voom network. They were pretty sweet too.

What aggravated me even more about Monsters HD, was that they had original programming too. Like, little shows showing old Horror memorabilia finds, actor interviews, stuff like that. Elvira was host on the channel too. I can only wonder if this channel was still around. Programs like Ash vs Evil Dead would be on there instead of Starz. Don't you think? It was ahead of it's time. It was like having a underground/bootleg bitorrent on TV. They showed uncut horror movies, some of which were never seen on VHS let alone on DVD(no Blu at that time) all in HD. HD mind you when there wasn't much in HD, besides the three major networks.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Hey Dave, looks like your question might have triggered something. :)

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/14/phantasm-jj-abrams-star-wars

"That aside, will there be a Blu-ray and DVD release of the restored film?
    Oh, yeah, absolutely. The beautiful part about it nowadays is that fans have home theaters which are almost as good as real theaters. With the technology, they can see it in this beautiful — I mean, I guess you can say that the Tall Man’s balls are a lot more shiny. [Laughs.] I don’t know if you can put that in, but it’s true!"

8. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

The DVD, extras and all, is 6.68 GB.... but you also have to remember that DVDs are MPEG2 so you can't directly compare sizes.

While I get what you're trying to say, we all know it was always going to be on Starz since they own the rights to the first two Evil Dead movies. I'm pretty sure that's why Army of Darkness is pretty much ignored too.

With that said, I still feel that channel was always too niche and never could have made enough money to have the budget to do full on new programming of any substance.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

10. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

"And I can tell you now that we removed all the fishing line. Which you used to be able to see in the DVD version of it. Now you can't. And that looks great. But we did enhance one special effect. And I'm not going to say which one it was. But we did have an early preview of it with some folks who could be very discriminating, and nobody noticed it. So I'm really excited about that."

Well, I'm glad that the fishing lines are gone, as it became one those things that was impossible to unsee, after I got the DVD :D

I wonder what the enhanced FX could be?
    Maybe a cleanup to a matte shot?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  11. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Ugh... no matter how minor it is and/or how much better it looks I really can't stand this silly revisionism! Sure, they could always include a way to watch a non-enhanced version (and if they did then that would be pretty awesome...) but I've complained about enough releases not bothering with seamless branching to assume that this won't even be considered. This is already a really well known and somewhat iconic movie in spite of whatever flaws they're fixing, so why does this stuff need to be changed now, almost 37 years after the fact?!?!

12. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

As long as I wouldn't have noticed the tinkering, I'm ok with it. Especially the fishing line which always reminded me "oh, this a movie"...

What I WOULD like is a release date.