Hatchet 2

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Mutilated Prey, May 21, 2009.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Exactly. $900/screen, for a WEEKEND? Do the math. If they do 3 showings a day, that's an average of about 10 people at each showing. How long do you think a movie that draws 10 people on a Saturday night will last?

Also, that site makes comparisons to Last House on the Left, I Spit on Your Grave, and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer all as examples of unrated movies showing on the big screen, referring to them as "uphill battles". No argument there, and throw in the fact that all three of those movies were from when there were still independent theaters around. Now everything is a corporate chain.

Just getting a major chain to release Hatchet 2 unrated was a pretty huge victory. Green should be happy he achieved that. Maybe if more people came to see the film, it would still be playing.

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

The first movie never got a sequel based on its box office performance, so there's not much to worry about here. This should do well at the convention circuit and on home video. I'm excited to watch it, at least. This "pulling" press release is just a way to save face after the weak (but really, what were they expecting?) performance.

3. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster New Member

Yeah, I don't want to discredit the release too much (just getting the unrated version in theaters was a victory), but it was like the tiniest of baby steps. The first movie that actually manages to get multiple major chains to take part and get a huge national ad campaign will be the first one to really break ground. Hatchet II is just more proof that the internet community is a small one, and can't make the difference on their own.

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I too think it was just pulled because it didn't make much money, but really, what did they expect!? Has anyone even heard of hatchet that isn't a huge horror fan? This sucks as I was planning on seeing it at the end of the month here in To, but I guess I'll just pick it up when it hits Blu Ray, which hopefully isn't too long from now.

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

If we had an AMC theater within 40 miles I would've gone to see this, but I couldn't justify the long drive and my girl wasn't a fan of the first one. I wanted to go, but couldn't and now can't.

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Hatchet II didn't play anywhere near me, and neither did Let Me In. I didn't have a say, and so I don't care.

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I've been following Adam Green's twitter and he is calling bullshit on the box office performance being the reason for it being pulled and that his contacts at AMC are saying the same.

8. blu

blu New Member

I just saw the first film a week or so ago. I'm definitely game for a second. Hopefully the lack of theatrical showings will speed up the video release.

9. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

This is now available to view On Demand. I believe it's only on Time Warner and Comcast now but I'm not sure.

10. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Not bad for a sequel. Tony Todd was very good in it, he had an large part this time around.

Loved the cameos.

Many great kills & gore. One of more creative/funny kill involves ... well .. just watch the movie. ;)

12. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

13. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

With Danielle Harris in it, how bad could it be?
    Actually enjoyed the original too, for what it was.

14. MisterTwister

Although I thought the first one was more fun I really enjoyed this one. I loved all the backstory stuff and the final 30 minutes are badass. Great kills.

15. Kolpitz

I finally got to see this movie today and I had a blast, but it's not as good as the first film. This is mostly due to three things:

1.) As much as I love Danielle Harris, she just isn't as good in the role as Tamara Feldman was in the first film. Also, the character isn't as strong and whines way more. I understand that she went through a pretty horrific experience in the first film but I would've preferred her to be more like Ripley was in Aliens, tough as a result of the first film. Also, I'm a big fan of sequel casting continuity so Feldman would've worked better in that respect as well.

2.) The gore effects aren't as good as they were in the first. This can probably be explained by the fact that Beuchler didn't do them this time around. It was his shop foreman, who worked out of a garage. Still, the kills are awesome and the gore is still very well done, just not as well done as the first film. Green really wanted to give the guy a shot at being the guy in charge but it makes the film feel slightly more amateurish.

3.) The film was shot on HD, as opposed to 35mm like the first film. This makes the film look cheaper. HD can look great (see The Social Network for a great example) but it can also look bad if the lighting isn't done properly and the DP isn't as well versed in it. I think that was the case here. There are several shots that look very video-ish. Compare this film to the first Hatchet (or Green's own Frozen) and the difference is very noticeable.

These all add up to make the film feel like a step down from its predecessor. The acting, effects and cinematography should get better in the sequel. In a way, it feels like Hatchet II is the first film and the first film is the improved sequel. Still, I don't want to sound overly negative as the film is just so much fucking fun. Even with those issues, I loved it and I'll surely be watching several it more times over the years (on a double bill with the first Hatchet).

On a side note, did anyone notice a slight video glitch on the Blu-ray?

About four minutes into the film, when Marybeth is sitting down in Jack Cracker's cabin, the video stutters and pixelates around Jack Cracker for a split second.

I'm not sure if it's a glitch with my disc, the authoring or the original digital photograpy.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  16. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

Nah, I didn't notice any glitch during the movie.

Being a big fan of the original Hatchet, I figured I would love the sequel. Much to my surprise, it was missing one key ingredient from the first film that really hurt part II: Joel David Moore (and Deon Richmond, to an extent). Hatchet II doesn't have any likable characters, and Danielle Harris, as mentioned, was too annoying to bear. She seemed like she was crying or screaming during the entire film. :(

17. Kolpitz

I sent the disc back to Amazon so hopefully the replacement disc will be fine.

18. MisterTwister

Watching it again recently I do agree the movie lacks the fun factor of the original I still found it to be an entertaining slasher flick with some amazing kills.

19. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

Kolpitz, i noticed the same glitch you are talking about, so i believe it is a mastering issue. however, like you said, it's literally a split second and i had to rewind the scene twice to find it, but it was there. i can live with it though

20. Kolpitz

Oh well, I already sent the first disc back. My new disc should be arriving today. I couldn't find any other mentions of it anywhere on the web. The same thing happened to me with the Maniac Blu-ray. I noticed a weird glitch that no one else had pointed out so I sent the disc back. The new disc has the same glitch and then my friends noticed it too.

UPDATE: Yup, the new disc has the same weird glitch. These companies need better quality control.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011