Hatchet

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Agent Z, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Crazy Ralph

Crazy Ralph Guest

I saw this at the Festival of Fear in Toronto this past weekend. FUN AS HELL! Lots of laughs, and tons of blood and gore (although they did show the uncut version, which they weren't supposed to), and just a great film getting us back to the great slasher films of the 80s (my favourite type of horror).

Anchor Bay was promoting the hell out if this movie at the Festival, and believe me.... YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED WHEN YOU SEE IT!!!!!!

2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I missed Behind the Mask in theaters, but hopefully I can catch this one and support Anchor Bay in their theatrical ventures. Remember, the more people seeing this will give Anchor Bay a better chance of getting Phantasm 5 off the ground.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

My buddy and I were gonna go check this out, but I was still in line for Romero's autograph when it started. I guess I'll have to wait for the DVD.

4. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I just got back from the Boston premiere and for me, a huge slasher fan, this was just beyond awesome. It was just gory, good ol' fashioned 80's slasher fun. Writer/Director Adam Green, Director of Photography Will Barratt, Tamara Feldman (Marybeth), Deon Richmond (Marcus) and Parry Shen (Shawn) were all in attendence and did a Q&A afterwards (and Green introduced the film), which was a blast. I know this is standard festival stuff but I've never been to a film festival so I really dug this part of it. The audience I saw it with really dug the film and we were just hooting and hollering the whole time. Green gave us an ultimatum to beat Canada in that department and I think we more than succeeded. I can't wait to go see this on Friday and I urge any fans of 80's slashers out there to do the same. Hell, even if you're just tired of remakes or PG-13 teen-friendly crap, give this movie your money. I'd love to see Hatchet prove all those Hollywood execs wrong when it comes to what type of horror movies we fans want to see. The film doesn't re-invent the wheel but it does a fantastic job of reminding us why we love horror movies in the first place.

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I'm seeing 70 screens for this Friday. Could that be true? Bad news.

6. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Hey man, did you see this last update at their site?

"9.4.2007

Call Your Local Theaters! We're getting word that there are theaters playing HATCHET that aren't on our list yet. Check with your local theaters! Just because it's not on our list- it doesn't mean it's not playing near you!"

wth?!?! :lol:

7. I was just checking on this at work...NO screenings within a 50 mile radius of the Tampa Bay area on Friday! :(

I was really looking forward to seeing this too...maybe in a week or two.

8. adric

adric New Member

its playing about 20 miles from a college i have to go for a dui class, so im hitting that and shoot em up right afterwards.

9. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

just watched it. VERY funny, i didn't expect to laugh as much as i did. mercedes mcnab has the best lines in the whole movie...and she topless, more than once:) the death scenes kicked ass

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

downloaded I assume. ;) If its true that it will be only on about 70 screens, then I might have to go that root. Very tempting, considering its just "became available"

**** Just checked the closest theater near me is in another state. So forget that.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  11. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

Talk about a limited release! I live in New York and right now it's only playing in one theatre throughout the entire state.

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I'm guessing it won't be playing in Canada then. That's shitty as I was all excited to see this. Maybe if it does well they will expand out to a few more theatres. If not I too will have to download it until it is released on DVD.

13. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

There was a full page ad for this on the inside cover of August 2007's Rue Morgue. I got all excited!! Gotta go and check to see if at least T.O. is getting it....sux that I missed the Rue Morgue screening a while back!!

14. maskull

Check Tribute.ca

They have the trailer for it up and they actually have it listed as playing in Toronto, Scarborough, Brampton, Mississauga, and Woodbridge...5 theatres in all. So in other words if you live near T.O. you can probably see it...this week.

Think I'll head to the 1:30 showing tomorrow. Yay!!!

btw I checked and it looks like some places in B.C. and Calgary are having showings as well. Looks like the only places with it so far are Ontario, B.C. and Alberta (but only Calgary).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  15. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Not playing anywhere in Washington...lame.

16. maskull

I enjoyed this quite a bit. Not re-inventing the wheel here or anything but it was fun, funny, gory, nudity filled, and yeah, the death scenes were pretty damn excellent. I'm always a little worried when they say a horror flick is funny too but this one worked perfectly mixing the horror elements with the comedic.

Like I said, it's not some brand new, original idea but who cares when you have this much fun watching a movie?? Me and the one other person in the theatre (1:30 Friday afternoon) kept laughing out loud at the jokes.

P.S. does Mercedes McNab play any characters besides ones like Harmony? Don't get me wrong, she was great in this, just worried the poor girl might get herself typecast.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  17. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Hey, another Washington State resident. Woo! I checked the papers and nothing here in my town. Terrible news.

18. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Nowhere near me either. I couldn't even take a long drive and see it. Bummer. I guess I got to wait for the DVD then. I have a feeling this will be a blind buy I won't regret.

19. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Loved it..... but, but the ending; I just wanted more!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Looks like it'll be DVD for me too. Good to hear that McNab is funny in this. I recently watched an episode of Angel where she was hilarious. Like Maskull, I have not seen her in another role, however.