Hatchet

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Agent Z, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Just watched this on bootleg, f*****g awesome movie. Just loved it, great kills, loved the characters, a geek as the lead, Friday the 13th nods, funny as hell, just loved it. :D

2. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

I just watched a screener of this and it was well worth the wait.It was a fun and had tons of gore in it,sorda like Troma style.I wondered how in the world this movie didnt get totally cut by the mpaa.Tons of titties also.I cant wait for this uncut version to hit dvd,it it ever will in america.I did notice the homages to other horror flicks,that was a nice touch.The directory really seemed like a horror fan unlike the guy who directed Camp Daze.

Sean

3. Bobbywoodhogan

Thing is the gore is kinda cheesy i.e. Freddy vs. Jason, so thats why I dont think it got cut. Its such a good film :D

4. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

I thought all gore got cut in most horror movies and im glad this shit didnt.Was some of it cgi? Some of the blood squirts looked like it.Good none the less.

Sean

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  5. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

According to writer/director Adam Green, there was absolutely no CGI used in the film.

6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

It sure didn't look cgi to me. One of the many reasons I loved this movie!

7. Bobbywoodhogan

It didnt look CGI tbh, if it was you cannot tell.

Hatchet was such a breath of fresh air for the slasher genre.

8. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Just got done with Hatchet. Within 10-15 minutes of watching it, I felt the same vibe I got when I saw Abominable. Two fantastic, barely seen films from talented filmmakers and casts that deserve much more recognition than they get. It's so frustrating for me to see horror-related films with no charisma, no effort, no identity get greenlit and thrown into theaters every week while people have to struggle to see movies like this. I've seen several very good DTV flicks in the past couple of years and (since this hasn't been released very widely in the States), this stands at the top. Some of the humor fell very flat with me... I'm a guy who enjoys some quips and one-liners but when you have the same people acting as comic relief through the entire movie, it gets a wee bit tired. Some of the acting was laughable too, when it wasn't supposed to be. Aside from those minor issues, I had a ton of fun with this. Blood, guts, boobs, great back story, great cameos (including several very recognizable faces), some real chemistry between the actors and most importantly, a couple of characters we actually can watch and not cringe or hope to die. All in all, very satisfied with this movie and very disappointed people are not going to be able to see this until it hits DVD.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Great movie, lots of fun. I was surprised on how well the comedy worked in this movie. I had some uneasy feeling going into it about the comedy.

Anybody laugh at the part when the group had to move from the boat to the shore. It was like 5 feet, and they were all yelling and panicing like it was a huge gap about 50 feet across and a 100 foot drop. :lol: I was dying. Especially the part with the ones already on shore, yelling You can do it! Come on! Come on!

Adam Green accomplished what others (Eli) tried to do & failed in their films. Have a horror film with plenty of gore but yet have a good mix of entertainment & amusement involved, thats ACTUALLY ENTERTAINING & AMUSING.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  10. Bobbywoodhogan

Bang on correct :banana:

11. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Just got back from my Christmas trade show...and the Anchor Bay rep informed me the DVD will release 12-18.

12. Bobbywoodhogan

of? :D

13. Slow

Slow Guest

2999 would be too soon. What a load of crap this movie was. The humor failed on all levels, the gore was excessive and silly (not to mention out of place), the killer was laughable in his movements and actions and the ending was just stupid. I wouldn't waste a dollar buying this movie on DVD.

And someone mentioned a hilarious scene above involving them getting off of the boat. Unintentional humor isn't the "humor in a film working", as that scene was not meant to be funny, either way the scene wasn't terrifying as it was meant or funny. It was just dull and useless.

14. Bobbywoodhogan

Each to there own, I loved it.

15. maskull

Actually I got the feeling that it was supposed to be funny. Or at least fun.

16. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

The whole set up reminded me of Hostel as we see a bunch of horny teens at the Mardi Gras with babes endlessly flashing their boobs. The escape from the boat was actually a "homage" to The Poseidon Adventure and the ending on the row boat a nod to Friday The 13th I suppose. The plot was very Madman and the killer looked like a cross between the freak from The Prey and some mutant from The Hills Have Eyes.
    That said, Hatchet barely breathes new life into the slasher genre (as promised) and the comedy almost came off as a spoof on slasher flicks. Still, its fun for what it is - dumb, with excellent gore. I liked it.

17. Bobbywoodhogan

I love this film watched it for a second time with my mate. He loved it aswell, I really hope they make a sequel, Adam Green for Friday the 13th.

18. maskull

I'm for that but only if he doesn't make it funny. I know there are some laughs to be had in the F13 series, but I want them to be played semi-seriously. I don't really want it to be a spoof of the series....of course if that's all they're going to give me, I'll still watch it cause I'm craving some Camp Crystal Lake carnage, but I'd prefer if they'd play it a little more "straight" than Hatchet.

But I loved Hatchet. :)

19. Bobbywoodhogan

Yeah I agree with you there but I am sure they'd make it semi-serious.

20. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

Thought it was 'Bloody' Awful ! Thought the humour could have at least made it fun to watch, but it was beyond unfunny .