Hatchet

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Agent Z, Oct 5, 2004.

1. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

my expectations were high, so all in all i'm a little disappointed. On the positive side, theres lots of blood. great killings and tons of splatter. i also had a good laugh or two.

on the negative side, a plot thats been done to death.

the tagline says "old school american horror" yet the film felt very modern like Dark Ride or one of the After Dark films. i appreciate what it was trying to do though.

the killer was not special, and there wasn't a scary moment in the whole film.

but i loved the last seconds of the movie , the way the film just ended. great!

if you keep your expectations very low, theres some entertainment value here.

6 out of 10

2. gore

gore Guest

I just wanna know one thing, Does it feel like a sci-fi original, or a friday the 13th movie?

3. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

What are the differences between the theatrical and director's cut? Does the director's cut just add bits to the overall film or do they both vary drastically between each other?

4. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

nothing drastic, just more gore in some scenes.

5. ThievingWinona

ThievingWinona New Member

I thought the film was very well acted, funny in a lot of spots, and had some excellent splatter.

On the downside, it isn't original in the slightest (then again, how many slashers are?) and it forced humor over scares. The balancing act they tried to pull off never quite worked.

That being said, I still think this is a fine film. If they were trying to homage "Old School American Horror" then they succeeded. It's a fun film and well worth seeing, in my opinion.

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

So what's the deal with including a theatrical cut of the movie as a bonus when the real bonus is the director's cut itself? Does the exclusive version have anything else suppliment wise over the standard director's cut or is the theatrical cut bonus disk the only extra different amongst the two?

7. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

Hatchet is a cut above what we been getting in the horror genre!

8. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Just bought it. I'll try and do a quick search on the bonus disc sometime in the next day or so and see if there's anything else.

9. Bad_Ronald_1983

Bad_Ronald_1983 New Member

Just picked this up yesterday at Wal-Mart for $9.96 since BB wouldn't price match because of their cheap key chain. I didn't really like it. First off, it's too short, only about 80 mins. Second, nothing really happens for the first 60 mins, then the final 20 is too rushed and too much going on. Not too funny or scary. The ending was a joke and had horrible editing. It was well shot, and had potential, but it ultimately failed. 1/5 stars.

10. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I ran over to Walmart yesterday after hearing about that, but they didn't have it. I'm going to another Walmart today.

Edit: Went to another Walmart and got one for $10!! Hope to watch it by tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  11. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Got the real dvd and still love this movie.
    After watching the extras (except commentary) I look forward to part 2. The director says he cast Tony Todd mainly due to his role being big in the sequel.:)

12. rhett

rhett Administrator

I've been on the fence with this one for some time, but considering there is n o t h i n g horror related in theaters right now (although after Darkness, Wolf Creek and Black Xmas these last few Christmases, maybe that's a good thing), I think I'll check this one out to fill the void. It's been ages since I've seen an old school slasher.

Anyone else check it out?

13. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I liked it a lot. Reminded me of a gorier updating of Madman Marz.

14. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I liked it, although I found it more funny than scary despite its claims as a "return to the old school slasher". To me, it was a post 2000 horror flick through and through and resembled nothing of any 80's slasher.

Still, it was fun and entertaining which is much more than I can say about 90% of the crap thats churned out today.

15. gore

gore Guest

When will I ever learn. Ugggh

16. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

The true "return of the old school slasher" was Valentine, but nobody embraced it. Damn shame. I will give Hatchet a watch, though.

17. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I finally watched it and really enjoyed it. It was just a fun film to watch!

18. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

Really liked it. It was pretty funny, just a couple jump scares though. Hopefully there will be a sequel.

19. rhett

rhett Administrator

I liked it in spite of all things Adam Green. Most of the written jokes fell flat, the direction was tepid, and the framing and style totally rudimentary. It was the John Carl Buechler show, through and through, and the effects were definitely a return to the "old school" of American horror. The deaths were awesome, and the killer totally did have a Madman vibe for the last few deaths. The one thing I did like from the script was the requisite legend behind the killer, this one a sort of amalgam of FRIDAY THE 13TH and THE BURNING, but with some ironic parental pathos thrown in the mix. Most of the genre cameos were pretty weak (especially the Englund/Leonard prologue), but the always awesome Joel Moore made for a likable and unorthodox leading man.

It's all about John Carl, though, and with due respect to GHOULIES GO TO COLLEGE and FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VII, I think this might be his best work. Fun stuff, and I'm aboard for a sequel if J.C.'s still piling on the corn syrup.

20. gore

gore Guest