Haunting of Hill House series in the works from Netflix

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Apr 10, 2017.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

[​IMG]

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/haunting-of-hill-house-series-netflix-1202027332/

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Steel76 and satans-sadists like this.
  3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Well played, Buck! That is another series I would love to see: House on Haunted Hill.

Steel76 and buck135 like this.
  4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Premieres October 12th on NetFlix.

zbinks likes this.
  5. CPT HOOK

Steel76 likes this.
  6. CPT HOOK

Just a reminder, this is now available on NetFlix.

I watched the first two episodes tonight, great stuff (especially the first episode)! Reminds me of those '90s Stephen King miniseries, and I mean that in the best possible way.

zbinks likes this.
  7. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

If you're looking for a proper, long form, adaptation of Shirley Jackson's novel... you'll probably be disappointed. Outside of some core elements, this bears very little resemblance to the novel or the prior film adaptations. In fact, much of the series isn't even spent at the house, at all.

That's just fine, though. The novel may not provide enough material to fill out a 10 hour miniseries and, as the 1999 film previously demonstrated, Robert Wise's adaptation isn't likely to be bested.

This is simply a really good, modern take on a haunted house tale. What it lacks in jump scares (and it isn't totally lacking) it makes up for with eerie imagery, slow burn tension, and a strong sense of dread. A few words of advice, pay close attention to the backgrounds.

If I had one real gripe, it's that the Netflix compression @ 1080P was awful. I hope a Blu-Ray materializes eventually, though Paramount's involvement and the ongoing absence of Hush and Gerald's Game in any physical format, anywhere, doesn't inspire much confidence. It would be a shame if this series isn't allowed to be presented in the best quality possible, though, because it's probably Flanagan's best work to date, easily his most ambitious.

Yeah, this actually bears a much stronger resemblance to those miniseries (and Stanley Kubrick's The Shining), than it does to Shirley Jackson's novel.

CPT HOOK and studio1 like this.
  8. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Currently six episodes in and I'm loving this. I haven't noticed any compression issues but perhaps the UK streaming service is different to the US in that respect.

I agree with zbinks. This is by far Flanagan's best work to date.

Very few TV shows have ever creeped me out, and this has successfully done so on a few occasions. Great stuff.

9. zbinks

I revisited the Robert Wise film for the first time in several years, and I'm going to amend this statement, a bit. While the series diverges a great deal from the source material in terms of plot, it does retain a lot of names, key pieces of dialog and imagery, although often in a different context.

10. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'm about halfway through now. So, far it's quite a solid little series. I will say that I do think it's a bit light on the horror aspects. But it certainly makes up for that with a heavy, moody atmosphere. I do have high hopes that the scary stuff will come to the fore as the series gets closer to the finale. Where it has me hooked though is the drama. The characters are all interesting and the family dynamic is really good material. It's drawing from the same well as Babadook and Hereditary, but it doesn't feel derivative at all.

And, while (as others have noted) it's definitely not a straight adaptation of the book, it does draw a lot from it. The siblings all pretty much are mirrors of characters in the book,
    i.e. the doubtful scientist, the lesbian psychic, the sensitive believer, etc..
    So, it's been fun picking up on the references

On the critical side, I did have a difficult time keeping track of the characters/actors in the first (and maybe second) episode. Two of the actresses look really similar (they are supposed to be sisters, duh) but I had a hard time telling them apart for a bit. And I think it wasn't until the third episode that I finally had sorted out which kids in the past where which adults in the present. Though, that may be my own fault as I probably was getting distracted when I first started.

I also find that I keep wishing there was more music. The score is pretty sparse.

Overall though, I am really looking forward to finishing this up this weekend.

Buechlers_beard and CPT HOOK like this.
  11. CPT HOOK

I had the same problem at first. Took a little bit to realize there were five children, not four. All three of the actresses look alike. They also look a lot like Carla Gugino, and with the show hopping back and forth from past to present, that didn't help matters. It didn't take too long to get everyone sorted out though.

I've seen the first six episodes. Enjoyed the character set-ups, but episode 6 was a let-down. It's filmed mostly in long-takes, and it becomes really distracting, gimmicky, and annoying after a while. Most of the episode is just six people sitting a room arguing as the camera circles around them. I'm hoping episode 7 will finally propel us forward.

I feel like I've said this before, but if you're enjoying the series, I highly recommend Flanagan's movie Before I Wake, also available on NetFlix. A lot of people have ignored that one, but I think it's his best work.

Anaestheus and Buechlers_beard like this.
  12. Buechlers_beard

Finished this last night. Thoroughly enjoyable.

I thought they wrapped up the story really well in the last episode and even though a couple of the latter episodes were a little slower there was one amazing jump scare that literally had me in the air in one of the last episodes.

This is still one of the best series I've seen for a long while and I'd highly recommend it.

13. Anaestheus

I'm so glad to hear I wasn't alone. I really thought I must have been an idiot at the start.

14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That's so funny to hear others also had issues telling those two kids apart at first. I thought I was just having a moment but I'm not alone! Lol.

I'm up to about episode five now and have been really loving this show. One of the best horror related things I've seen in a while.

15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I'm 5 episodes in. Enjoying it so far. Not finding as scary as the internet has been going viral about. (claims of people throwing up from being so scared and can't watch the film at nighttime, etc...) But it's differently creepy. The scariest thing so far (to me) is the daughter with the paralyzing condition when waking up. Only because (putting the ghosts aside) that would seem like a horrible thing to have.

16. Buechlers_beard

I've not read any of those viral reports. But I'd say it's definitely one of the scariest things I've seen on TV. But that's mostly because the vast majority of stuff on TV ISN'T scary ha. It's a good creepy show, and as everyone else has mentioned it; I did have a little trouble discerning characters in the first couple of episodes.

17. Anaestheus

So, I'm done with it now. Overall pretty good. I don't think it was as good as Oculus (which I really loved and has a lot of similarities) but it was a solid 10 hours of sad (oh,so sad) entertainment. I was still let down on the scary side, but the characters and situations were so well handled that I still got pretty invested. I'll hide the rest of my comments, just in case.

I think my biggest disappointment was that it seemed like it ended on an almost happy note. We had near 10 hours of "this house is Eeeevviiillllll" but in the end, it kinda made a bit of a paradise for the characters. Everyone got to be re-united with the people they loved and spend the rest of eternity with them. And everyone who died seemed pretty happy in their afterlife. It wasn't so much that I couldn't see the ending working. But the transition just happened so fast that the tone threw me. As there were already a lot of similarities to Oculus, I suspect that Flanagan was trying to avoid repeating himself with the ending. But, I don't think they gave it enough time to make it fit.

Episode 6 will probably be the standout for me. I love the time-hopping long takes. And even through the revelations in the family fights weren't anything new, I found the combined effect of the performances and the camera choreography to be completely gripping. And, even more so when you start to pay attention to all the creepy stuff and trickery happening in the background. Just technically, it was a pretty stunning episode.

Nelly's episode was pretty heart-breaking. And the revelation of what the Bent-Necked Lady is was pretty impressive, both in the narrative and in the way it's handled. It made for a pretty stunning climax to the episode and so damned tragic. Really highlighted how evil and manipulative the house can be.

I loved the revelation of what the Red Room had been and that Steve had included bits in his book that indicated that he had seen ghosts and just hadn't accepted it. Both of those set-ups and reveals were really well played.

The final reveal and climax of "that night" was all right, but it didn't have quite the same emotional punch as the Nelly episode. And. while certainly traumatic for the characters, I didn't think it lived up to the expectations set by the earlier scenes of the panicked Hugh rushing the children out of the house.

That jump scare in the car was wonderfully handled. I pretty sure that I "yelped" out loud with that one. Good job there, you bastards.

Overall, the acting good. Gugino is always wonderful and one of the most effortless actors out there. But, I have to single out how well Hutton and Thomas mimic each other's mannerisms. They both did a really great subtle job there.

And I have to say that I have been getting really tired of the muted color palette in contemporary horror films, but this show really made it work well. It fit the tone and atmosphere perfectly and I was surprised how much I like the look of the show.

I do still wish there had been more music though.

Oh, and I really hated the opening credits. I assume that they were done by the same studio that did Westworld and a couple of other shows that I can't remember now. I really do not like their style at all. It just bores the hell out of me.

I fell like I had more that I wanted to say immediately after I finished the program, but it was late. Maybe some more of it will come back to me later.

18. zbinks

Different strokes for different folks, but that's an extreme overreaction, IMO. I can't see anybody with more than a passing interest in horror, ghosts, etc. reacting that strongly to this series.

19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

20. CPT HOOK

This is character drama over horror. The only reason anyone might find it that scary is because of how effective the character drama is. They're invested in these people. The actual horror itself is nothing worse than you'd see in your typical big Hollywood theatrical PG-13 ghost movie. In fact, my mom told me she watched the series, and she couldn't even watch the Halloween trailer. It feels like one of those '90s made-for-TV Stephen King miniseries, and is about as graphic to boot.

I actually really liked the ending. I thought the final two episodes came together extremely well. Episodes 6 - 8 were a bit rough though, they should have condensed all of that into one single episode and ditched the gimmicky long take nonsense (so distracting!). According to Flanagan, the Crain story is over. This season gave their story complete closure, so I'm fine with that.

I still say Before I Wake is his best work (currently available on NetFlix, along with Hush, Gerald's Game, and Oculus).