Hausu 1977 (aka "House") .. Quite possibly the most f'ed up film I've EVER seen.

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Shlockjock81, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    DAMN!!!! You couldn't have posted this a couple of weeks ago!! It just played 10 min. from my house, the last week of January!! Well, I DL'd it from that site and put it on my PSP, so I'll watch it when I'm on the road later this month.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

I watched this a couple of days ago, but man this shit was ridiculous!

3. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the same thing. Looks weird. Might check it out before I decide to buy it.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Criterion is selling a poster and t-shirt for it, so I think it's slightly more than just a rumor.

The poster and t-shirt are bad ass, but since I haven't seen the film I don't want to run out and buy them. They'll be playing in Chicago at the end of the month, I'll try and go.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  6. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Ummm yes and yes!
    Had no idea Criterion was handling this one. Will buy the minute it's available.
    What I'm REALLY stoked about is the stellar poster up on the Criterion site for the theatrical run. That thing is amazing. I'm gonna frame that right next to my bright yellow Holy Mountain print, I'm sure my wife's gonna just love that :)

7. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

This movie looks neat like a horror art film on acid.

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I got on the booking bandwagon with Janus Films just in time and will be screening this as part of the North American tour on August 20th. I can't wait to finally see this film, and on the big screen none-the-less!

9. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Well I drove to Los Angeles by myself to catch this movie. Parking sucked major ass and stressed me out. There was roughly about 40+ people in the theater. I sat in the very first front row. The crowd was very quiet zzzzzzz. The theater had a very small screen and in Full Frame. All I can say after seeing it is the following. I guess I set my expectations way too high. I thought this would be something like Evil Dead etc. The film itself was a very bad corney comedy. There was absolutely nothing redeeming or scary about it. It's a movie you truly need to be loaded to enjoy. Only problem with that is even a pot head would probably not enjoy this one. I wouldn't call this a B movie more like a Z movie. I think the best part of the movie is the Trailer. It pretty much shows you all the good parts. The film makers need to do like Toyota and apologize for making this. :lol:

http://www.newbevcinema.com/index.cfm

10. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

My local grindhouse type cinema is showing this in the near future.Im not sure on the date.I may go see it,looks like it could be hit or miss.It looks very Evil Dead 2ish.I dont know,could be fun.

Sean

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm with Dobby here. I hadn't heard much about the movie, but watched it off of IFC or Sundance like I mentioned, and found it pretty 'meh'. I was surprised to see all the anticipation of the Criterion release here, and thought a lot of you might be disappointed when you actually got around to finally seeing it.

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I can see how those were disappointed by it, seeing as they went in expecting it to be a crazy and bloody horror film.

But if you've ever read up on the film, you know it's a complete nutzoid comedy fantasy through the eyes of a Japanese TV ad wizard.

13. RidgeShark

RidgeShark New Member

I ended up loving House the second time I saw it. It's not surprising that the director's young daughter came up with the original story. I even suspect she co-directed the thing.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  14. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Yeah it's playing here in Denver on April 9th and I'm definitely going to see it.
    I don't expect horror of any sort though. Just a completely goofy visual trip of a movie. If it's like that I'm gonna be stoked.

Here's a little story about expectations:

When I was young, maybe 10 or 11, Burger King ran a promotion for Return of the Jedi and offered these gigantic white plastic Star Wars themed cups with a purchase their largest size soft drink offerings. As a young boy in the early 80s I was naturally obsessed with Star Wars and begged my mom to get me every one of these cups. She did and I used them exclusively for anything I drank that year.
    One night we all sat down to dinner and my mom poured me a nice tall Jabba cup full of milk. I went to take a sip and the moment the liquid touched my tongue I paused for a millisecond and proceeded to vomit all over myself and my dinner plate. My milk was rancid! I screamed out "AHHHHH! MOM THE MILK IS BAD!!!!". Mom, alarmed at the sight of her son covered in his own vomit, ran over to save me from whatever had attacked my insides. By the time she realized what had happened I was already a sobbing hysterical mess. Holding back a smile unsuccessfully my mom said to me, "son.. that's orange juice, not milk".
    Somehow my brain, expecting milk, found orange juice to be the most putrid thing It'd ever tasted.

Maybe you guys were expecting milk? :)

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Anything associated with Criterion instantly becomes overrated. I figured the topic title itself overstates this too.

I'd forgotten all about it and missed the Chicago showing. But I like my zany Japanese movies, so I'll be checking it out somehow someway.

16. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Oh for fuck's sake people, I never said this was THE most fucked up horror film ever, I said it was quite possibly the most fucked up film "I" had ever seen. That's fact, and I stand by that.

I never hyped this up to be a crazy ass horror flick that would make you throw your popcorn. In fact, I really don't think there's any unrealistic hype surrounding this film at all. I find all the reviews to be pretty accurate. It's just a film that defies logic. Nothing more.

This is why many decent films get swept under the rug. People's expectations are just way too high. It's not the film's fault. Take it for what it is and get over yourself.

17. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I'll check this out in the theater- it's playing here at the Brattle at the end of April. I'll be sure not to go into it expecting scary/gory.

18. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The Virgin Mary also gave birth in a barn. Somehow I don't think her standards would be all that high in where she takes a dump. :lol:

It's coming to Keene sometime soon. I'm not sure when exactly, but I'm looking forward to it. :)

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Are you comparing the birth of our Lord and Savior to taking a dump? There will be a prime spot laid out for you in hell my friend. :evil:

Anyways, Arabs are pretty anal about taking a dump; they spend their lifetime wiping with one hand and eating with the other. I think the Crusades really broke out when the Arabs learned, "You mean you don't just eat with that hand?" :eek2:

20. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

It is worth giving a chance. This was made in the 70's and I'm sure on a low budget but they took chances, tried to be original and go way over the top. Not meant to be scary at all. I had never heard of this and like I mentioned before, caught this on IFC late at night totally by chance and couldn't stop watching it. It was just a wild ride and I thought a lot of fun.