Hausu 1977 (aka "House") .. Quite possibly the most f'ed up film I've EVER seen.

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Shlockjock81, Dec 16, 2009.

1. deepred

deepred Member

2. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Ahhh damn. I guess they pushed it back. I'm sure it's going to be an awesome release.

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Looks like this was a real blast ! It's great when you have a venue that really goes all out for a screening like this.

4. deepred

deepred Member

They have one every month along with a free photo op! They always get the 35MM print too - I've seen Phantasm, Elm Street 3, Basket Case, Street Trash, Carnival of Souls, Re-Animator, Dead Alive, Demons, Silent Night Deadly Night, Zombi, etc. They also worked something out with Rob Zombie so that we could be extras in Halloween 2. Most of the people in the Halloween party scene in that movie are people that go to this monthly horror showing. Next month, they will show Alien and then in September, Aliens. One time they had trouble getting Tenement's 35MM so they had to show the DVD - since it was not 35MM, everyone got in free. They are really cool people that love what they do and the genre!

Here are some pics taken from most of their events on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dontopenuntilldoomsday/sets/

5. deepred

deepred Member

6. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Yep. Was just gonna chime in that Criterion announced this on their website as well.
    So stoked on this release. The fun that can be had owning this one.

"oh... haven't seen HAUSUUUUUUUUU!!! you say? Dude pull up a seat and watch this.." :)

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'll just post the specs off of Criterion's site as they a little more detailed than the Blu-ray.com article:

Disc Features

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
    * Constructing a House, a new video piece featuring interviews with director Nobuhiko Obayashi, story scenarist and daughter of the director Chigumi Obayashi, and screenwriter Chiho Katsura
    * Emotion, a 1966 experimental film by Obayashi
    * New video appreciation by director Ti West (House of the Devil)
    * Theatrical trailer
    * New and improved English subtitle translation
    * PLUS: An essay by Chuck Stephens

As excited as I am for Hausu on Blu-ray, I had my "HOLY FUCKING SHIT" moment when I read they're also putting Paths of Glory on Blu. The best surprises are when you don't even see it coming.

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Paths of Glory on blu-ray was definitely a surprise. Still a bit disappointed that Criterion still haven't announced Videodrome on blu-ray yet, though. I was hoping maybe they'd announce that this month.

~Matt

9. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Anyone have a towel? I just made a huge mess.

10. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

$40 bucks retail price though! Ouch!

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well how often do films ACTUALLY go for their suggested retail price? On the Criterion website it even says it's $31.96. That's not bad for a Criterion.

~Matt

12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I will be picking this blu up - should blow away my bootleg dvd copy <:

13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Thanks,very cool.I love stuff like this.It's so rare anymore that you go to a theater and the people running the place actually seem excited about what they are screening.Always gives me a lift.

14. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Woo hoo this is screening in Toronto from the 23rd to the 29th at the Bloor Cinema! Can't wait to see this with an enthusiastic crowd!

15. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Just giving this thread a bump - this should be an outstanding Blu release and one that is long overdue.

16. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Ooooh thanks for reminding me! Saw this at the Bloor Cinema about a month ago (though I had seen it a few times already). The crowd wasn't as large as I'd expected, however they were showing it for several nights and I went on the first night. Only about half the theater was full, but everyone in attendance loved the film. The print looked pretty clear, with excellent color vibrancy. The only complaint I had was that it was 4:3. However, this could be the films original aspect ratio. The rip I have is widescreen, however I noticed the 35mm print I saw at the theater showed a few more nipples (ie when Gorgeous gets out of the tub). I'm guessing the widescreen print I have is cropped. Anyhow, was great to see this on the big screen. Can't freaking wait for the Blu release. I'll be preordering it as soon as it's available (and I don't even have a Blu Ray player yet lol).

17. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster New Member

This is going to be a must buy for me. Can't see myself paying Criterion prices for Blu-ray though. What happened to their HD releases being somewhat affordable? I guess 28 bucks from DVD Empire isn't TOO bad, but paying 20 for the DVD seems attractive by comparison.

18. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Japanese aspect ratios for this period of time can be tricky, as 1.85:1 did not become the standard for Japanese non-scope films until many, many years after it became the standard for American non-scope films. But I'm not sure exactly when the conversion took place and how long it took 1.85:1 to totally surpass 1.33:1 in theaters.

19. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster New Member

IMDB lists the aspect ratio as 1.37, so it looks like the 4:3 transfer will be correct.

20. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Criterion's actually been great about not charging a premium for blu-ray releases vs. dvd releases. If it's $40 on dvd it's $40 on blu.
    To be honest Criterion does such a stellar job with their releases that I really don't mind paying a little extra for the quality.
    Luckily at my work we do a 50% off all Criterion sale twice a year so I just stash whatever releases I'm itchin to buy until that sale hits and clean up :)