Hausu 1977 (aka "House") .. Quite possibly the most f'ed up film I've EVER seen.

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Shlockjock81, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Did anyone notice during the cat's dancing scene that the poor cat was CLEARLY thrown onto the piano by someone standing outside the shot?

2. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

That's how you get cats to do things.

3. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

I was surprised that Denis Gifford's book HORROR MOVIES makes a fairly long cameo appearance in this film. That thing was my bible when I was eight years old.

4. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

That explains why none thought about filming a Making Of during the shooting if Inferno.

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Finally caught up the the film today. It was everything I hoped it would be. Wacky, psychedelic and ridiculous, I wouldn't be surprised if same Rami checked this film out before he made Evil dead 2. I'm not sure if I knew what the hell was going all of the time but it was one hell of a fun ride.

6. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

HATED this movie. In fact I couldn't even finish it. Almost did but I just couldn't.

7. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

I liked it but felt exhausted afterwards. It plays like a high-energy cartoon - I kept thinking of the Powerpuff Girls.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

showing in San Diego on March 12. I'm planning on moving that day, so I could be really tired (it's a midnight showing), but I'll check it out on the big screen with a crowd. Maybe I'll enjoy it more this time.

9. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Eh, good luck on that.:cool:

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's a little slow to start, needs something spooky at the opening, but frankly I loved it. It harkens back to a lot of classic horror while still remaining contemporary. Made me miss that "outdoors shot in studio" look and feel.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Hey, i'll give anything a second chance. But if I don't dig it this time, I'm done trying

12. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I just watched this a few weeks ago with some writers for my podcast's website. None of us had seen it before save for the guy who picked it for us to watch. Afterwords we recorded a roundtable discussion about what we thought. You can check it out at The Macguffin Podcast website. It's pretty much all of us trying to explain the craziness and put it in context with other horror films.

13. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Absolutely! Back then there were only a handful of horror texts around and this was definitely a "must have" guide.

I really struggled with this film - I went in expecting great things but was sorely disappointed.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the midnight screening in March, but I did see the Blu-Ray with a small film forum. One thing that made the film infinitely more enjoyable the second time was the benefit of seeing it in a group setting, so those who are not fans of this (and I count myself in that category, at least initially) should consider re-watching in a similar setting.

It's just a lot better when you can hear people audibly say what you're probably thinking already. There were comments like "Wait, her name is 'Kung Fu'?", and I think when you can appreciate the total absurdity of the movie, you'll find it a lot more enjoyable. I know I did.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I just happened upon this video and while it's about the Wizard of Oz I think it speaks for Hausu too, which is almost a deconstruction of the classic story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdM2Vi2JrEk

The other Hausu characters, like brain/heart/courage, are all different sides of the protagonist. There's a good review on it here: http://wtf-film.com/site/2007/09/28/house/ , which I swear was posted 'round these parts before but didn't spot it in this thread.

16. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

After seeing that awesome trailer, I just HAD to order this one on Blu-Ray :)

I just LOVE crazy japanese movies :D

17. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

This is an amazingly weird and strange movie -- but it's just so riveting. There's lots of detail packed into every scene, so rewatching it is almost required to get the full experience.

18. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    My library had a copy, so I finally watched it. This is a MESSED UP FILM!! But I loved it!!