Haute (High) Tension: Where do you stand?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Jan 19, 2005.

?

Vote

1. Great film!

55.6%
  2. This movie sucks!

3.2%
  3. I hated the ending

20.6%
  4. I haven't watched it yet but will (soon)

19.8%
  5. I will never watch this

0.8%
  1. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I just watched this tonight, twice actually, and I want to be put in the "fucking loved it" category. In fact, I am not sure what all the controversy was about. The ending made perfect sense to me. However, had it not made sense, I would have loved it anyway. Why? Because slashers that awesome don't come along often. Just fucking A that was awesome. Hell, I might watch it again tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2005
  2. Semerrill

Semerrill Member

It was an awesome movie,and i dont see why alot of people hated the ending.

3. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I haven't seen it but really want to. even if the ending sucks...i'm kind of used to bad endings in movies these days.

4. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I think it fucking rocked and I watched a French copy with no subs (thanks to my jackass friend that used a program to add them to the disc, but colored them so dark you cant even read em!) In any case, I fucking loved it. Mainly because I'm a total gorehound, but I just loved everything about it. Too bad the theatrical release is cut, hopefully the upcoming R1 disc wont be. In the meantime, I ordered the uncut 2-disc R2 edition. Heard thats the best one to get as of now.

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I think that version is dubbed though. If you want the best subbed verison get the UK disc.

6. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Couldn't agree more. The ending is so easy to understand. I've never understood how some people I've come across could be so off base on the ending.

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Great film with a great ending. Why does everyone hate the ending so much? It makes sense. Watch it again and see!

8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

will get it when it hits region 1 dvd

9. kain

kain Guest

an absolute must see, brilliant!!!!!

10. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

I loved the movie and thought the ending was just perfect.:)

11. stl7dust

stl7dust Guest

It had some problems. It has flaws. Great movie, I admit, I loved it. But near the end you wonder well ...how did this happen? How she get there? and so forth...

12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Your over thinking it.
    rewatch the first 5 minutes it will all make sense. (except maybe the BJ scene)

13. Nos4ah2

Nos4ah2 Guest

I think 28 Days Later is a good example of how a shitty ending can make an entire film suck.
    That film so needed a dark, despairing ending.

14. Nos4ah2

Nos4ah2 Guest

I loved Haute Tension.
    The soundtrack was brilliant and I thought the movie had a great visceral, BRUTAL feeling that rarely comes across well in film.

15. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

congratulate me. I was able to resist the temptation of reading a spoiler for once in my life!!
    ...aw crap, it doesn't hide the spoiler when you're quoting.... :mad:

16. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I love the movie, it's totally awsome, but I hate the ending. It does not make any sense, and I'm not sure why people say it makes perfect sense. So you're telling me;
    she drove her abducted friend in that monster van to somewhere way out in the forest, then ran all the way back to the gas station on foot, and stole that sports car, then crashed it by herself. Or the other way around, she stole the car, drove it and crashed it for no reason, then ran back to the gas station on foot and got back into the van??? That is just 1 example too.
    What about the fact they have apparently been good friends for years, but now all of a sudden she decided to go psycho, murder the family and abduct her? What about all these pictures of other girls she's apparently killed? And what about the BJ scene in the begining? If they are going out to 'visit' the family, where does she suddenly get this crazy van with all these tools and pictures of girls in it? etc etc. Sorry, it dosent make sense.
    The fact that it was a very, VERY intense old-school slasher in the first half (High Tension indeed) just lost all of it's 'umph' for me when the twist was revealed. It was kinda just like "oh sorry, she was never in any danger at all, everything she's done so far is because..well, she's a psycho...yeah thats it!" Just seemed like a cop out 'lets throw in a twist' ending. I would have been way happier if it stayed an old-school slasher for the entire film
    But dont get me wrong, despite not liking the end, I still loved the movie.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  17. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

The testimony of a warped mind clearly can't be trusted.

18. You're talking about the directors claims that he read Intensity before he made this movie but didn't steal it's plot right?

19. onebyone

onebyone Guest

When I saw the movie,
    I seemed apparent that she was the killer when "the killer" showed up while she was masturbating. At her friend's house nonetheless. She seemed to be suffering from Multiple Personality Disorder. The whole scene seemed to be set up to show that her sexual desire, obviously for her friend at the time, was the trigger for this other character to take control. From that point, the killer was in control, with the other personality aware of the killer but powerless to do anything about it. Part of her wants to help her friend, but she can't, so this is how her disjointed mind is seeing the story. When I watched the movie with that in mind, there were many statements and events in her story that seemed to validate this point. For instance, the dying mother's words to her being "Why?" instead of "Run!" or "Save my kids!" That was very accusatory, and that is just one of many big hints as to what is going on. Anyhow, that is what clicked with me when I first saw it, and that is why I thought it made sense.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2005
  20. Stige

Stige Active Member

i loved it , thought the ending was great. but to each is his/ her own