Haute (High) Tension: Where do you stand?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Jan 19, 2005.

?

Vote

1. Great film!

55.6%
  2. This movie sucks!

3.2%
  3. I hated the ending

20.6%
  4. I haven't watched it yet but will (soon)

19.8%
  5. I will never watch this

0.8%
  1. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

yeah the cinema/theatre experience can be great.. my only concern with watching these movies with a room full of strangers are the noises coming from them that detracts from the film... when i saw it last year though it was at a film festival so the type of people at the screening were quiet and respectful of the others in the cinema

2. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I've never had a bad theatre-going expereince due to other people being "unruly". Just for shitty movies and even they are much more tolerable in the dark and on the big screen with the surround sound (Ring 2 anyone, of course I didn't have to pay for it either so that made it a much better experience as I didn't feel robbed).

3. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

what i mean is.. just as the tension is building in a movie, people make noises.. even if theyre slight.. so you suddently realise youre just sitting in a theatre and not in the movie, and it totally wrecks the mood

ps: while i voted that the movie is awesome.. i still would have changed the ending

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2005
  4. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Oh, I've had to deal with unruly people all the time at theaters. In fact, there were two bonehead motherfuckers behind me in High Tension who were my age yet were acting like grade schoolers seeing their first boobies, all giggling and shit. They kept it up at certain points in the movie. Now, I know lots of horror movies, even ones that take themselves seriously, can be unintentionally funny at times, but I just didn't get the fucking joke this time.

Also, at the Devil's Rejects screening last week, I shit you not, I had to confront a nuclear family of 4 about their running conversation. A mother, a father, their teenage son and their younger daughter. I couldn't fucking believe it. The mother was the worst because she was laughing out loud at whatever the son was saying, and he had something to say damn near every shot. About 20 minutes into this, I leaned over (they were sitting right next to me on my row) and asked the mother (she was nearest), in a voice everyone around us could hear, if they had come to see the movie. She looked at me dumbstruck, so I asked her again, louder. Acting all surprised, she said she guessed so. At this point the husband leaned over like he was gonna take charge of the situation and I looked him right in the eye and said, aloud again, that although the screening was free, most people were here to see the movie, and not to listen to their kid's smartass comments about it. The husband just leaned back with a weak frown and looked right up at the screen, and his inbred clan followed suit. They didn't say a word the rest of the show.

Crap like this has happened damn near every time I've gone to the theater during peak hours for the past several years, which is exactly why the only time you catch me in a theater during peak hours anymore is for a free screening.

So, to sum up, tobaccoman, I'd sure like to be near the theaters you go to.

5. I never go to the theatres unless it's absolutley necessary. The drive-in is the best place to see a movie IMO. The picture isn't as good as in a theatre but the sound is as good as your stereo system will allow and there's nearly nobody that can bother you too much except for those you bring along. As for this movie I'll be seeing it if it comes to one of the drive-ins in the area if not I'll just see it on dvd.

6. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Well, I do live in ND where people are still generally nice and respectable towards each other (about the only benifit) so that may be the reason I'm not bothered in theatres. I usually go to movies alone also as to not let my friends think they can pull an mst on the movie and that helps alot. I especially hate it when people talk directly to me during a film, even at home.

I'll be seeing this in theatres since I haven't seen it yet (although I really don't want to support Lion's Gate on this one since they said they'd release it untampered, but what can you do, oh yeah, for that reason I will fo to a matinee or the $1.50 theatre).

I will probably buy the dvd also, but I'll get an import rather than put my money towards the inevitably crappy release Lion's Gate will shit out.

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

a guy stopped breathing once in the middle of a movie and his girlfriend started to freak out (screaming "breathe! Breathe!")...which I can understand...but makes it hard to watch a movie when they stop it to attend to the poor fellow. He was a young guy too. (He was ok after a while).

I am really looking forward to seeing High Tension in theatres. I've purposely not watched it on DVD yet so when I saw it cut and dubbed in theatres, I wouldn't be disappointed. Here's hoping that pays off....

8. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Screaming Breathe always helps, sometimes people forget :lol:

9. Semerrill

Semerrill Member

im going to go see it too,although i own it on dvd,itll be nice to see it on a big screen

10. maskull

some people are so inconsiderate. She drowned out some of the dialogue with her yelling. But it was near the start of the movie so they started it again.

11. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

stupid bitch :)

12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'll be seeing this in theaters. Lions Gate has already fucked us over by cutting it for the theatrical release, the least they can do is give us the NC-17 cut on DVD, just this once.

13. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Cool review! I am trying to figure out why they have a mix of dubbed and subbed. Strange.

At any rate, even though I have the subbed/uncut version already, I'll be checking this out on the big screen. I already have theories as to where the cuts will be (along with one already revealed through a promo clip), so I don't think I'll be SO outraged when they do occur. I will stay seated throughout the entire showing and not throw popcorn at the projection booth in disgust.

14. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

This is what the Director said abou that:

15. maskull

Hey I just saw the ad for High Tension on TV! YAY!! Can't wait!!

16. Dwhots

Dwhots New Member

I really liked the movie, but hated the ending. I thought it spoiled a lot of what I loved about the movie. But, with the bad ending aside it had some great "tension" and the gore was top notch. I just wish the director didnt't go for that "hey look, I'm smarter than my audience crap" it didn't work.

17. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i heard this is coming to dvd in sept or oct but no word if it will be uncut dvd version though

18. Demon

Demon Don't Fuck With Dolly!

I enjoyed the hell out of it!!

19. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Just watched the uncut version and this sums it up for me as well. All my thoughts as well, while watching this. Great gore, great intense film, but the ending DID NOT WORK!!! Great premise, but it would have needed a different route to make it work. Enjoyed a lot of it, but would never recommend it to anyone!!!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The ending does not make a film. You state you "enjoyed a lot of it", but wouldn't recommend it? Why arn't the things you liked good enough for a recommendation? Maybe they're not have a problem with the ending - like others?