Haute (High) Tension: Where do you stand?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Jan 19, 2005.

?

Vote

1. Great film!

55.6%
  2. This movie sucks!

3.2%
  3. I hated the ending

20.6%
  4. I haven't watched it yet but will (soon)

19.8%
  5. I will never watch this

0.8%
  1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

very cool movie but the whole twist ending just destroyed the rest of the movie so overall it is a good film would of been better without the twist though

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Watch it again. it didn't destroy the movie at all. It made it better.

3. RickB

RickB New Member

I highly enjoyed it myself. I thought the ending made perfect sense. Without the twisted ending it would have been just another killer chasing victoms through the woods thing. I think the gore was fantastic especially when the mother gets it in the bedroom. I've watched it 3 times so far.

4. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I finally voted in this and I voted great film!

5. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Just finished it...ending wasn't the greatest, but no worse than a lot of other slashers. Usually slasher films aren't really about the endings but about what happens along the way, and this had plenty of excitement and gore.

One thing my wife pointed out, though...the idea of the protagonist actually being the killer was less frightening than it being some random psychopath. It takes away from the whole "It could happen to anyone" aspect that most movies in the genre rely on.

6. Luna

Luna Guest

Do you think so?
    I think it makes it all the more frightening, because you REALLY don't know who your friends are. The way it unfolded, with them being best friends, I find that even creepier than it being some random person.

7. allmessedup

I guess I feel like the idea of victimized by a random weirdo is more realistic and more frightening--the idea of one of my best friends being totally insane and killing my whole family seems to be more fantastical and improbable, and therefore not as scary. I do suppose the statistics point to most murderers having some sort of acquaintance with the people they kill, though the type of murderer that appears to be at work for most of the film seems to be the random BTK/Henry type psychopath that a lot of people have a fear of. Once the twist kicked in, the movie seemed less real, and so I guess I'm with the camp who said the ending made it less effective. But it didn't "ruin" the movie or anything for me. BTW, I haven't seen any of the extras or read anything about the making of the film so they might have acknowledged this, but the movie seemed very similar to Dean Koontz's "Intensity" at a lot of points.

8. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Great film. Nice gore FX from Giannetto De Rossi and some cool atmosphere too. I don't think the ending was that bad either.

9. allmessedup

Yeah...with a couple of exceptions, slasher films have never really had strong endings.
    It's usually just some goofy business with the killer not really being dead or what have you...I didn't think this ending was any worse than 99% of slasher movies.

There have really only been a couple of slasher movies that I can think of where the endings really were the icing on the cake and made the whole movie: Those would be
    SLEEPAWAY CAMP and BLACK CHRISTMAS, with HALLOWEEN maybe fitting in as far as the ending still working to creep out the audience. FRIDAY THE 13th had a great scare, but the impact has been ruined by all the various times it was imitated and repeated within the same franchise as the years went on.
    But the nature of the slasher genre usually makes the ending not as important as it is in a lot of other horror movies. It's more about the gore scenes--if you have a good story tying it all together, more's the better, but I can think of a lot of great slasher movies that had dumb endings which didn't limit my enjoyment one bit.

10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Do you think it's possible that Marie only new Alex from a far and they never actually met until that day?

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I finally watched it. Now to answer a lot of people's questions about why other people didn't like the ending because (to those who liked the movie) it made sense... Well yes, it does technically make sense. But the internal logic of the movie isn't what upsets me. It's the fact that it feels totally like a cheat. Like NIGHTMARE CITY, if you will, where the movie ends and we find out that it was all just a dream. It's comes across to me as a hackneyed premise created solely to end the movie, because they can't find a more creative way to do so.

HIGH TENSION is technically well crafted and has a lot of effective scenes, but the ending turns it into throwaway cinema bullshit. This isn't a modern day classic, it's a movie destined for the bargain bin.

12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

You just proved why the ending sucks. Now you can't even establish what was real and not. When you know someone who is a liar, you question every tall tale they ever told you. :)

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

That’s exactly why I like the ending. Why do you have to know what really happened? Why not just leave it up to interpretation.

14. David Lo Pan

David Lo Pan Guest

Overall, I thought the movie was "nice. Nice. Not thrilling, but nice." The ending does feel like a cop-out, but it didn't bother me too much. It's possible that those embracing the hell out of it are, like the rest of us, waiting for something new and fresh to show up and are overreacting to material that's slightly above mediocrity — this is NOT meant to be offensive; it's just an observation.

15. h8sh8

h8sh8 Guest

I thought it was an excellent movie - probably the best slasher I'd seen (until I saw Wolf Creek), and I didn't mind the ending, but I thought it was already excellent and didn't need to try and be any smarter with that ending. I just wanted a straight slasher that was a good, smart film with good acting, direction, proper characters, realism, and most of be believable, and High Tension had all that up until the ending. (Wolf Creek is that slasher film for those also looking)

16. David Lo Pan

David Lo Pan Guest

I agree with h8sh8 in that the directing of the actors was excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing Wolf Creek; the preview was good.

17. Luna

Luna Guest

Oops, I didn't see this before.
    Well, coming from the mind of an insane woman, I would question most things. I'm really swinging between two ideas, myself. One is that they were actually friends but it all went horribly wrong, and the other is that the singing and fun in the car scene never actually happened, and that Marie was actually outside stalking and only came up to the house when Alex was in the shower and perhaps the sight of her triggered Marie's murderous desires. Really, I'm not sure which I'd believe, but that is what makes it so interesting to me. I don't require that endings be laid out for me on a silver platter in an unquestionable, absolute sort of way. I like the mystery here. :)

18. I believe where there's a point that Alex mentions her family moving there recently. I took that as Marie and Alex have only known each other for a few months, not years.

In the span of a couple of month you can connect with someone as a friend and not know alot about them (like Alex not knowing that Marie wants her...or is a lunatic)..

As far as any questions about the "killer's" truck and equipment and whatnot there were plans to shoot scenes in which Marie sees the truck and the saw on Alex's family's farm...so they belong to Alex's family...Marie just stole them.

19. Luna

Luna Guest

I forget... was the "only moved here recently" thing one of those added dubtitles? I never read anything about the movie online, so I didn't know about the plans to shoot other scenes.

20. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I wish I could vote again in this poll, because I saw the film a while ago and loved it. I hated the ending at first, but thinking about it more and more has brought me to the conclusion that it is sheer brilliance and not a cop-out at all. :)