Haute (High) Tension: Where do you stand?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Jan 19, 2005.

?

Vote

1. Great film!

55.6%
  2. This movie sucks!

3.2%
  3. I hated the ending

20.6%
  4. I haven't watched it yet but will (soon)

19.8%
  5. I will never watch this

0.8%
  1. Golgo13

Golgo13 Guest

The movie was merely "ok" till the infamous twist. I can never sit through this turdburger again. I completely agree with Maybrick. How so many people can forgive this movie (the excuses are atrocious) I will never understand. Is it because it's french? It stars a lesbian? Maybe it's the way every horror movie nowadays tries it's hardest to look just like Se7en?

I'm convinced that most horror fans these days are just easily amused. GG Lionsgate.

2. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I voted "I haven't watched it yet but will (soon)" in the past but now since I've seen it twice I'd say it's a great film.

3. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

I loved the film overall..but the ending or even earlier when the cops watch the video tape at the gas station..things took a turn for the worse for me.Like i said though,despite that flaw the rest of the film made up for it.

4. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I finally watched this film tonight. I've had it on my shelves for a while now but have never gotten around to watching it. Maybe I was trying to forget all the stuff I'd read about it so it would seem fresh...

Anyway I loved it!!!! Everything! The performances were great, the killer was a mean bastard, I enjoyed the music, the movie looked beautiful...5 seconds into the flick I knew I was going to like this. Hell, even the twist didn't bother me. Sure they could've just ended the film
    after the suffocation, or even after the video tape, but I really liked the scene when Alex stabs Marie and then they switch back to the male killer with the knife sticking into him. I thought that scene worked really well and looked spiffy. Plus if they'd ended it early, we wouldn't have had the car scene with all the spraying blood. I'm not usually a gore hound but I liked that scene a lot.

Now I knew about the twist before I even saw the movie so maybe that's why I didn't mind it as much, and maybe it wasn't completely necessary but damnit it didn't ruin the experience of this movie at all for me. After seeing this I'm really looking forward to the Hills Have Eyes Remake and anything else Mr. Aja does in the future.

5. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Back on the topic of the scars from the car accident, my personal interpretation is that the wounds are inflicted by Marie herself, probably during the greenhouse scene. My theory is that Marie inflicted the wounds herself while trying to fend off the "killer", though the fact remains, it could've been anything.

On the topic of symbolism, more symbolism that I particularly loved includes Marie being in the closet when the mother is being killed, and when she's sitting on the swing swinging back and forth from the light and into the darkness, which naturally suggests the inner struggle between her personality and the killer inside of her.

6. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

Excellent point regarding the swing scene.

Regarding the validity of the sequences shown from the "narrator's" point of view has always been subjective, you can look back to Tennessee Williams' "The Glass Menagerie" to find surpressed sexual desires and how the story can be twisted and interpeted from a single point of view. Marie see the story from one perspective and we are shown those sequences as the gospel, when in fact those points probably did not happen. The fun part is theorizing what truly happened. Sure the ending has been done a bunch of times. (I immediately think of "Secret Window", "memento" and "Identity" and I'm sure there are other) But in the end the ride was fun. I really enjoyed the film and will enjoy repeat viewings

7. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Good call on the swing set scene, although I saw it from a different perspective (no, the page isn't completed yet, sorry).

8. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Mission Code Z, your page on the movie is excellent! Good work. I will check back for page 2 and your sites grand opening in February 2006.

9. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Thanks onebyone. :)

Yes, February is the target date for the barebones site. *fingers and toes crossed*

10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

That's great Mission Code Z. You pointed out some great stuff that I missed looking forward to page 2 as well.

11. Crazy Ralph

Crazy Ralph Guest

Hey Mission Code....... page 2 is still not up? What the dillio?????

Anyway, I don't want to start another HUGE debate over this film, but I have to add my 2 cents......

Like always, I'm months and months behind in viewing new movies/DVDs, but I just watched this last night. I was so mad about the ending. All I could think about at work today was how pissed off I was. As soon as I got home I came here to read this thread (as I hadn't even looked at it prior to this).

Upon reading all the haters, and lovers's comments, I'm still a hater (of the ending). I simply don't buy the explanation, even after reading Mission Code Z's web page about it, and all the other explanations that are posted here.

I did love this movie while I was watching it, so hopefully a few more viewings can convince me to change my mind about the ending. And believe me, it's not because it's a twist. In fact I enjoy movies that throw something different at me, but I just simply do not buy into this one.

And yes, I'm still angry.

12. I hated this movie when I first watched it because, as I've stated before, I hated the fact that it blatantly ripped off Intensity. But when I went back and watched it barring the Intensity stuff from my mind I sorta liked it. Now I think it's a really well made movie. I completely buy the ending and complete movie for that matter as being
    Marie's interpretation of what happened, her rationalizing her obsession and murder of those people
    ...the movie works 100% for me now, as a really good unofficial remake of Intensity.

13. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    The whole movie was great except for that ending and the more I thought about it, I would have bought it except for the scene...

where the killer was driving the car and rear ending her. This is where it took me out of her head and didn't make any sense!

14. Chad

Chad Member

This film has the "Napoleon Dynamite Complex"...it gets better with multiple viewings, IMHO. Honestly, for the first viewing I enjoyed it but didn't completely "get" it. After the second and third viewings it quickly rose to my list of favorite horror films. :cool:

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Great film! I really hated Aja's remake of The Hills Have Eyes though.

16. TheShape

TheShape Member

Totally agree. My thoughts exactly. Couldn't have said it better. Loved the movie but the ending kind of ruined it's effectiveness. I know this is an old thread, just watched it tonight and did a search about it in the forum to see what others were saying, especially about the ending.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  17. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I watched it for the first time a couple of weeks ago...i was lovin it, all up to the twist. im serious i pretty much almost ruined for me completely.

great old school slasher with a terrible ending. i had to give it 3 1/2 just because of the twist. if it didnt have that awful twist, then i would've given it a 4.

18. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I saw it in the theater.The lead actress was great and the film was tense and brutal.I did feel the ending was contrived and manipulative though.It didn't destroy the film for me but I do think I would've preferred another outcome.It becomes a jigsaw puzzle and I don't think all the pieces quite fit unless you really force them.

Very interesting film,but flawed.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

How can you completely agree with that superficial critic? I can see you agreeing with that if you just saw the film and that was your initial knee jerk reaction. If you did search the forums to see what people were saying about it then you should of read the many explanations of the film.

20. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

The "logic" of the film and its "twist" are tenuous at best. That said, it IS a fun roller coaster ride of a film. I remember someone pointing out in the "Going to Pieces : The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film" documentary that "Haute Tension in a cheat!". While one could argue that's TRUE, it doesn't stop the film from being a reasonably enjoyable viewing experience. Well, not to me, anyway.