Haute Tension (2003) VS Maniac (1980)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Oct 16, 2008.

?

Slasher Battle

1. Haute Tension (2003)

36.5%
  2. Maniac (1980)

63.5%
  1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I'd still say Maniac. Easily.

I like what you said though, about Haute Tension Natas. I think thats why it was such a let down at the end because it had so much going for it.

2. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Weird comparison, but Maniac.

3. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I don't dislike HT, but its ending was terrible. Everything before was pretty great, but altogether it brought the picture down. 6/10

Maniac diminishes the more I watch it. It's cheap and noticeable. But the performance by Spinell, the gritty realistic feel, mixed with the independent fashion and romance made for a more unique experience than HT, which didn't offer much more than polished sleaze for me. Love Going to the Showdown. 8/10

4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Me too. There is just something about Maniac that makes it one of the best slashers ever. I love the grittiness of NYC during that time. Now it's so Disney-fied.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I think the pairing makes perfect sense.

1. Both films cheaply exploit audience fears of greasy, somewhat overweight men with working class features. (Of course, then Spinell starts acting like a bigshot agent or something... I still can't figure that ultra fucking weird subplot out. What in the holy fuck WAS that???)

2. The killers are portrayed as sexually frustrated, fumblingly awkward, etc.

Frankly, the ending to Haute Tension was so homophobic, I'm surprised he didn't steal the subplot to John Waters' Desperate Living where Susan Lowe has a man's bloody genitals sewn into her crotch to show off in a shock reveal later.

Sorry, Kim Bruun, but I'm right- Alexandre Aja's a twat. I'm not going to just forgive him for that film. He owes his whole career to that film exploiting queerness and demonizing it.

As for Maniac, I know I talked a lot of shit about it before the remake came out but I rewatched it and the scene that really bothered me wasn't quite the way I'd remembered it. So... I'm going to watch it a 3rd time and give it yet another chance. I mean: one thing's for sure, Lustig did a pretty decent job on Uncle Sam and he sure knows talent in other writers/filmmakers- Larry Cohen, Alfred Sole, Argento.

I just can't quite get over how unoriginal it is. It really is just Deranged + Hatchet for the Honeymoon + Eyes of Laura Mars.

6. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Alexandre Aja has been exploiting "queerness" and demonizing it his whole career? Did I really just read that?

Dude.........that's quite possibly the dumbest fucking thing I've ever read/heard in my entire life. And I've lived in Texas for over 3 years, so that's saying something.

Where the fuck did you get that from? The ending to High Tension is homophobic? What? Do you mind elaborating on that? Not that I think you can provide any response that will resemble logic, I just want to continue to laugh. You do realize you're probably the only person on the face of the Earth that has that opinion of him, right?
    If you don't like Aja's work or the films he's been involved in, then that's fine. To each their own. But to accuse him of something like that, is re-god-damn-diculous.

Exploiting queerness...........help my fuck. Fucking raising the Re-Re bar I see.

*also, did you really give Lustig credit for UNCLE SAM? That movie is fucking atrocious. I used to own the VHS and thought it was a funny-semi gory little flick as a kid but I've rewatched it a few times and it's almost unwatchable. Boring as shit. Oh and what fucking town in the United States has school still in session on July 4th? Fucking stupid.

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Umm. The ending of High Tension was incredibly offensive and homophobic. Stupidest thing you've ever heard in your life? Guess you haven't been watching Donald Trump and the current US election lol. That's actually a very common interpretation of the film. And one I happen to agree with.

I think it's homophobic in the way Dressed to Kill is very very transphobic. But Dressed to Kill is in a completely different league than High Tension.

And let's be real, the ending in High Tension was completely implausible. So not only was the ending lazy and stupid and homophobic, it made no sense.

However, I loved the movie up until the ending.

Buuuuut.....Maniac....easily.

~Matt

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Apparently not because that's not actually what he said. He said Aja owes his career to a film that exploited queerness.

~Matt

9. Natas

How is the ending to High Tension homophobic?

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

ok well ***SPOILER ALERT***

When they're driving in the car at the beginning of the movie Marie teases Alex about the guys she hooks up with and it comes off like she's not joking. You think, is she into the boys Alex has been hooking up with? It becomes evident later that Marie is interested in Alex, not the other guys. Later when she goes out for a smoke she looks up at the window and sees Alex changing, then Marie goes back to her bedroom and masturbates.

That's when the killer arrives and guess what? He (Marie, we find out later) offs the family and keeps Alex, like a trophy. It's implied that her being in the closet is what drove her to insanity and the overall fear of homosexuality being the destroyer of the traditional family.

When the "killer" side takes over, it's like Marie is a self-loathing lesbian and is literally fighting her urges throughout the rest of the film. And she sees her homosexual/killer side as being deviant and repulsive. She sees herself as a disgusting, repulsive killer who feeds into his twisted desires. It equates homosexuality with murder and destruction.

THAT is why it comes across as homophobic.

~Matt

11. Natas

I think that's utterly ridiculous and you're looking WAY too much into this SLASHER film. Does her homosexuality/obsession with her friend have something to do with her actions? Maybe. I think it's simpler than that....... she's a psychopath with multiple personalities. To assume it was Aja's intention to equate homosexuality with murder and destruction is bullshit.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

How is it bullshit? It's just a theory. And it works. You happen to disagree with it so what? Doesn't mean it's not a theory you can apply.

There's more to slasher films than what's on the surface. Sexuality is intrinsically tied to the slasher film and has always been. So what's wrong with an analysis of a film that adds a homosexual aspect to it. Maybe he didn't mean to equate homosexuality with murder and destruction but that's exactly what he did. So why is the theory bullshit? It's not too far fetched if you ask me. If it wasn't the intention, why add the lesbian angle to it?

~Matt

13. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I remember sneaking into the theater to see Maniac when I was a kid, so it does have sentimental value to me. To be honest though, I never really thought it was all that good of a film.

14. Natas

Well it's my opinion it doesn't work and I think it's a giant stretch. I think the lesbian angle was added to throw you off. Just like the decapitated head and the security footage.
    And I couldn't disagree more regarding sexuality in slasher films. Sex exists in a lot of slasher films. It's the sin factor. (in my best Jamie Kennedy voice). Do drugs, have sex, drink alcohol, get killed. Simple as that. I really do think you're looking a lot deeper into some of these "subtext" that in my opinion, aren't there. Maybe I just have my heterosexual blinders on and I'm ignorant to it......... but to me slashers have always been a fun, popcorn, mindless 90 minutes of entertainment. They're not meant to be looked at under a microscope..... that takes away from the fun. People are too cynical.

15. Natas

I would LOVE to see Maniac on the big screen. Hopefully Alamo can make that happen sooner than later.

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with being cynical. Why do you think film critics and theorists analyze films? There's more to cinema than meets the eye. We can now take a bulk of these films and look at them in relation to the era in which they were made. In 1980s American slasher films, they were made as a response to the growing conservatism of the 80s. Why do you think they're overtly sexual?

It's not even a matter of disagreeing, it's so obvious that sexuality plays a major part in horror in general and slasher films especially. Sexuality and violence are also very closely related. It's been studied and proven that serial killers themselves experience a sexual release from committing murder. Many killers even admitted to it. Why is it so unbelievable that we take that approach to horror films? And High Tension isn't your average slasher film, so why should we analyze it as such? In fact I wouldn't even call it a slasher.

You should read "Men, Women, and Chainsaws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film" by Carol Clover. She brings up many valid points to how gender and sexuality is tied to the horror genre. You might find it interesting.

And to claim that slasher films aren't "meant" be analyzed is ridiculous. Every film is subject to analysis and I think that's what adds fun to films in general. Is that not what we do on this message board?

~Matt

17. Natas

We'll agree to disagree then, Matt......... I prefer my jollies and horror to be separate. And I prefer to enjoy my horror for what it is, without racking my brain afterwards, analyzing every detail trying to come up with subtext, giving me reason to bitch and moan about it in the future. There are other more important things to spend mental exertion on. I do understand every film is subject to analysis........but I think we look too deeply and look for things that aren't there. I'd love to hear Aja's response to claims his film was homophobic. I'm sure he'd laugh in your face. He also had two beautiful naked chicks making out and dancing underwater in Piranha...... maybe he just digs lesbians. I'd love to hear your "analysis" of Piranha 3D.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  18. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

Easy choice...Maniac...I was always surprised how Spinell was able to jump up on the hood of the car like that...not easy to do...and it was done in one take!:D

19. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

But that's the thing. It's THERE. In abundance. It's not just the ending that comes across as homophobic. I already listed the reasons why. It's also one of the most common interpretations of it.

And like I said, it DOES NOT MATTER that it wasn't his intention to make the film homophobic, but the issues it deals with and the way the story is structured strongly support that analysis.

A lot of classic Disney films are also racist as fuck. Do you think they meant for Song of the South to be as racist as it comes off? And its depiction of slavery is beyond questionable. Was it their INTENT to make the movie racist? Probably not but it doesn't matter. It comes across that way. And that's what DOES matter.

Lol I actually really liked Piranha 3D. It objectifies women like crazy (and I can see how women could be offended by that) but it owns its campiness. So I enjoyed that.

~Matt

20. Natas

yea.....says you. I disagree. Cynical is the perfect word, in my opinion.

*and the Disney point you make...... they were racist as fuck, but they were also made during a time where this country was racist as fuck. It was a reflection of the times.