Haute Tension (2003) VS Maniac (1980)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Oct 16, 2008.

?

Slasher Battle

1. Haute Tension (2003)

36.5%
  2. Maniac (1980)

63.5%
  1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Maybe you do have your heterosexual blinders on. Because you haven't given me a reason as to why that theory doesn't work. All you've said is that the movie shouldn't be analyzed that way. But it IS being analyzed that way. And it's not just me, so clearly something IS there within the film's text. If it was just a "split personality", then why would they add to the plot Marie's sexual attraction to Alex? That is an obvious plot point you can't argue is not there. And the angle they use is that her homosexual desires for Marie drove her to insanity.

And I don't disagree that Song of the South is a product of its time but LOL the United States is still racist as fuck if you ask me.

~Matt

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

So let's get this correct.

Haute Tension is homophobic because the killer(who is gay) wanted to kill everyone in the film except Alex, because she wanted her to herself.

Alrighty then. Yeah, why would it be just about obsession, why would it be........

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  3. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I just got a good laugh, trying to envision literal "heterosexual blinders", like a bandanna made out of tits or something. LOL

I get it. You're not the only one who finds a homophobic vibe in High Tension so obviously there's SOMETHING there........ I guess my bigger point was just the fact I choose not to look too deeply into horror films in general. It's one of my favorite forms of entertainment, for as long as I remember, and always will be...... and I always argued with critics when they go sooooooo deep to find aspects of any film offensive, or just negative in general. I never understood the pleasure anyone got out of that. I turn that part of my brain off for 90+ mins in the best interest of enjoyment, plain and simple.

It's been cool discussing, Matt...... definitely making work go by quicker. Have a good weekend, I'll watch High Tension this weekend with my wife's underwear on, maybe I'll finally get it. :D *that's a joke, I promise.

4. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I don't necessarily agree with you Matt/DVDfan but I do find that perspective interesting. You guys admittedly read into the film more than I did. To me it was just a bunch of stuff that happened with a twist ending. Sometimes characters are created for interest sake. In this case Marie's homosexuality was used as a red herring to fool us into having compassion for the killer. In other words, the film preys on the viewer's acceptance. Where acceptance is presumed as being just. With that in mind, I don't think its safe to assume that Aja has an agenda against gay people or that this film is in any way concocting a case.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

http://titania86-fishmuffins.blogspot.ca/2012/02/women-in-horror-high-tension.html?m=1

http://capnhowdysblogorium.blogspot.ca/2014/10/shocktober-review-high-tension.html?m=1

http://www.finalgirl.rocks/2006/03/love-is-ugly.html?m=1

In almost every analysis of the film, it's argued that it comes across as homophobic. You may not agree with it, but it's an interpretation that does work. You can't deny that it doesn't exist.

Exactly, WHY would it be just about obsession? Because it's NOT just about obsession. It links homosexuality to Murder and destruction. One of her "split" personalities is her closeted homosexuality and it manifests itself (her "other") as a murderous killer.

~Matt

Mok likes this.
  6. Natas

It absolutely does not, dude. The fact she ended up being a homosexual was just simply an aspect of the plot. That's ridiculous. "Murder and destruction". What if the killer ended up being a black chick....... that was the twist, in reality her name is Laquinta, and she was black and murderous the whole time. Does that now make the movie racist? Linking blackness to murder and destruction? "Oh yeah, that scene in the corn field was obviously a direct reference to a slave field.......that Aja is one racist motherfucker"

Mok likes this.
  7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I don't believe that Aja has a personal vendetta against gay people, that's ridiculous. It's just that aspects of his film come across as homophobic.

I also never said this was the only possible interpretation of the film. It's one of many, and it's a common one. Obviously something is there within the film that got people to analyze it in such a way. It's the complete disavowal of that theory is why I'm arguing in favor of it.

There isn't a single solitary theory on ANY film, film is open to interpretation.

~Matt

Mok likes this.
  8. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I agree it's a sound interpretation. But if homosexuality was really the target, we would only have learned she was gay at the end along with her being the killer. Instead, her orientation is part of what endears us to her and sets us up for that blindside.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yes. That WOULD make it racist. It's equating blackness with something NEGATIVE (i.e. Murder).

At first we think Marie is jealous of all the men Alex apparently hooks up with. Then we see her watching Alex undress and she goes into her room and masturbates. And directly after that, the killings begin. There's a pretty explicit link there.

At this point I'm not even sure you know the meaning of the word homophobia. Parts of this movie come across as homophobic to gay people and it can certainly be read that way. The movie is vague in a lot of places. There's a lot of room for interpretation.

If you think these films shouldn't be analyzed why are you on a horror movie discussion board?

~Matt

10. Natas

Cuz it kills time at work and I dig the site. And I never said they shouldn't be analyzed..... there's degrees. Maybe I just enjoy movies more than you and I'm not a cynical prick. (not saying you are)

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Oh, so because I argued that aspects of High Tension can be construed as being homophobic that somehow means I don't enjoy movies as much as you?

Lol. Funniest thing I've read all day.

~Matt

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  12. Natas

Maybe. If you're offended by some perceived homophobic undertone of this movie, maybe you're the kind of viewer who looks deeper into subtext than me...... probably not enjoying the experience as much as someone who isn't offended as easily. Just my opinion.

13. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

So... Having a homosexual villain makes the movie homophobic? As in only straight people can be portrayed as evil and nuts? Just like only white people can be the bad guys, or it's an expression of racism? Let me put it another way: What if Haute Tension is a criticism of homophobia, because the main character's actions spring from repressed sexual urges intertwined with underlying psychological issues? I.e., had society been more open and accepting, maybe the killer would have grown up with a sense of self-acceptance rather than exploding from the closet in a murderous spree?

For what it's worth, I find A Blade in the Dark way more offensive in its ignorant portrayal of sexuality and sexual identity.

Mok and Natas like this.
  14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I look deeper into the subtext of a film so that means I like movies LESS? How the fuck does that make any sense? So all the other students who were in my film classes with me dissecting and analyzing movies means we all don't enjoy cinema? What a load of shit.

Yeah I totally hate movies. Lol. Explains why I've been a member on this message board for over 12 years.

~Matt

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

And that's another interpretation of it. I can accept that.

LIKE I SAID, it can be interpreted many ways. One of the interpretations is that it comes off as homophobic.

~Matt

16. Natas

LIKE I SAID.........MAYBE. I've known some film nerds in my day...... analyze the shit out of movies to the point where they can't just kick back and enjoy. Now a days any fucking thought you may have on a movie is shared online and you got links after links backing your opinion. Doesn't mean anything. And I don't know you enough to put you in that category of people I'll call cynical pricks. Hence the term 'maybe' said multiple times by me.

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

There are many interpretations of Halloween, for example. One is that it's pro-feminist. That only a woman can vanquish the killer.

You could also say that Jamie Lee Curtis takes on a traditionally masculine role and that's how she's able to fight back against Myers. However, masculinity doesn't exactly fare well in the horror genre lol.

~Matt

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Oh I enjoyed High Tension. I thought it was fantastic up until that shitty fucking ending. But it can also be offensive to some people and people have read it that way. Either way, we can probably all agree that the ending is sloppy and poorly written. It doesn't even really make sense. But part of my enjoyment of movies is analyzing them. It's why I chose to major in film when I was in university.

~Matt

19. Natas

Know what my interpretation of Halloween is? That it's fucking awesome and I enjoy the fuck out of it, year after year. And no one's giving me a book report or thesis to write on it soooooooo fuck any "interpretation". :D

20. Natas

At the end of the day, anyone that gets genuinely offended by a horror movie.....you know, a fictitious series of events captured on film and edited with music and special effects..... needs to get their priorities straight and relax.