"He Knows You're Alone" (1980, Armand Mastroianni)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Uncle Jay, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

Well every one knows that the very early 80's was the "dime a dozen era" of horror films. He Knows You're Alone is a good one though. Definitely a Halloween knock-off, being a slasher film where you know who the killer is from the beginning and well, the typical slasher storyline.

It follows a mysterious psycho (Tom Rolfing) who kills girls (as well as everyone involved with them) who are to be married soon. Detective Len Gamble (Lewis Arlt) is obsessed with finding this guy for his bride-to-be was the first to be killed a few years prior. The movie generally follows the psycho pursuing Amy Jensen (Caitlin O'Heaney), who is to marry a jerk, but is having second thoughts as she is still in love with her silly but charming ex-boyfriend, Marvin (Don Scardino). Amy's friends and associates are doomed as they get killed one by one, with Gamble hot on the killer's trail.

Some great horror filmmaking is to be noticed here from Armand Mastroianni making his directorial debut (and would later give us The Killing Hour and The Supernaturals). His great camera shots and direction do take a turn of the disturbing and creepy...and the first kill of the movie, where a girl gets stabbed through the chair in a movie theater while she's sitting next to her friend watching a horror movie, is a scene of admirable horror quality (even Martin Scorsese praised its essence). But it is Halloween by every means.

This movie is mostly famous for being Tom Hanks' first film, where he plays a silly charmer named Eliot, who has theories on fear. Very small part but pretty cool. Also look for character actor James Rebhorn (Scent of a Woman, Carlito's Way, Independence Day) as one of the film's victims.

A whole lot of typical horror fun.

"HE KNOWS YOU'RE ALONE" TRAILER

[​IMG]

-UJ

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

Nice review, Dr. J. Where did you hear that Scorsese bit? I'd love to see the original quote on that. I've always liked HE KNOWS YOU'RE ALONE. It's rightfully overshadowed by plenty of other slasher pictures, but it definitely at least gets my recommendation.

3. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

Hey Rhett, thanks!

The Scorsese bit is talked about on the DVD commentary of He Knows You're Alone. Mastroianni met Scorsese (I forget how or where) and Marty said something along the lines of "You guys did that movie with the girl getting stabbed in the movie theater. I loved that." Been awhile since I heard the commentary track, but I do remember that part of it vividly.

When I get home later, I'll pop it in and give more specifics.

-UJ

4. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

Yeah,I always liked that film. I just had Don Scardino autograph a couple posters and stuff from Squirm a month or so ago.

5. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Just watched He Knows You're Alone a few months back for the first time since seeing it in a local theater back in 1980. I agree Uncle Jay. This is a very underrated slasher. It doesn't have the blood and gore of many slasher films, but it does have a lot of suspense and decent acting. I believe it was filmed on Staten Island. Watching this was so nostalgic for me. The town and its locations reminded me so much of the town I grew up in. I highly recommend this to anybody who loves slashers!!

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I dunno about this movie. I was never really impressed with it, and it's rather dry. The Killing Hour I believe is a much stronger film.

~Matt

7. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

I never cared for this slasher. The movie theater scene was very memorable. Can't say the same for the rest. That scene pops up from memory whenever I'm in a movie theater...haha. Good review, Jay.