He Never Died

Discussion in 'General' started by russweiss, Jun 3, 2017.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Caught this on Netflix and really enjoyed it. This stars Henry Rollins (yes that Henry Rollins) and is full of great humor as well as some decent violence. Definitely worth checking out.

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Own the DVD a really awesome movie

3. sinister

sinister Member

Yes, this worked very well.

A follow up mini-series was rumoured but I've not heard anything further on it for ages.

4. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Here's what I wrote about it last year:

HE NEVER DIED (Jason Krawczyk, 2016)
    Vertical Entertainment DVD

Henry Rollins is Jack, an aging loner whose boring bingo routine is upended when his illegitimate daughter pops up one afternoon. When she’s kidnapped by local mobsters, he’s forced to abandon the quiet life and revert back to his previous persona: an invincible, bloodthirsty demon with a taste for vengeance. Rollins’ deadpan, disinterested demeanor serves the role perfectly, and he’s hilarious to watch – I could’ve probably sat through a full 90 minutes of him just wandering around, not giving an eff -- which is exactly what makes it so much more unfortunate that he wasn’t given a better vehicle to showcase the character. The film builds to some sort of supernatural slaughterthon that frustratingly never happens, instead choosing to end with a whimper. Its inability to deliver a proper payoff is a major detriment; as a whole, it feels incomplete. Great build-up, but be prepared for disappointment. 5/10

5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I agree that Rollins character made the film. It appears that I enjoyed it quite a bit more than you though. A solid 7 1/2.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I liked the first half, but thought the movie really overstayed it's welcome. Would have made a stellar short film, but drags as a feature.

It was nice seeing Kate Greenhouse here though, as I'm a huge fan of the excellent Canadian indie-horror film The Dark Hours.

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I caught this last year during it's limited theatrical run and found it quite forgettable, uneventful, and as others have already mentioned it just drags on and on and may have worked if it were a short film instead. Even Rollins couldn't save this one for me.