Hell Night

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by rhett, May 12, 2002.

1. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

It's a very good commentary ;)

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

There are still a bunch of copies at Circut City here, but they're $15.99 + tax.
    I traded my old disc, but will probably get the "drive-in" disc with this on it later this year.

3. onebyone

onebyone Guest

The commentary was good, but not the best you ever heard or anything, but it isn't the worst either. I for sure enjoyed it.

This movie is such fun, I haven't watched it in while. This thread makes me want to give the dvd a spin tonight.

4. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

Wait till the double disk set. 2 movies, cheaper than the price of one

5. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

one of the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but the dvd is cut!!!!!!!!!

6. Rock

Rock Member

OK, you got my attention...what's been cut? About the goriest thing in the movie is Kevin Brophy's death-by-scythe in the garden...am I mistaken? Mae's decapitation has never been completely shown, cable, theater, or DVD...

This is just about the mildest R-rated slasher I've ever seen...

7. r_burgos2003

r_burgos2003 Guest

What is cut on the DVD???

8. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Cut?? Seriously, what is cut? I didn't notice anything missing when I got it. Is there gore I never saw before?

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I really enjoyed the commentary. Now, there's a lot of self-congratulation ("That looks great", "What a good scene", "I love this"), but a lot of very interesting bits about the making of the film. Give it a go.

10. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Hell Night is one of the best movies. The murders weren't as graphic as Friday the 13th, but the MPAA came down hard on all the horror movies that year. I think what is shown is fine, however.

11. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I think to remember they mention in the audio commentary a more graphic decapitation of the blonde chick that never made it in the final version.

12. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Has anyone noticed a few "snags" in the music soundtrack in only a few scenes? The electronic score on my 1982 Media VHS sounds smooth, but on the DVD there are "jumps" where the music should be continuous and smooth - sounding much like when a cassette tape drags. Anyone else notice?

13. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I noticed that in the trailer for the movie. But I don't think I noticed that in the final version. I'll have to watch it again to check for that.

14. MidnightRambler

MidnightRambler New Member

Watched this for the first time last night and I must say I was very pleasantly surprised. Although some hardcore slasher fans might complain about relative lack of gore and nudity, I didn't mind 'cause it had good characters, acting, atmosphere, bits of originality, even some scares and suspense. What impressed me most was the direction, I think even Carpenter would be proud of some scenes, eg. when the killer is leering over the sleeping girl, the labyrinth scene, the final killing and ending shot... Were it not for some script issues IMO this movie could be placed up there with the high class slashers like Halloween, NOES and Black Christmas. As it is I would still rate it higher than the majority of 80s slashers, including F13 movies... 7/10

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  15. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

Hell Night was one of those films I didn't expect too much from, but I really liked it, its defineitely one of the better made films of that period, and is without a doubt my very favourite Linda Blair film of all time

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

:eek1:
    i dig it too, but better than the exorcist? or even savage streets? i dunno....

17. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Yeah..I have to agree. I liked Blair's performance in the Exorcist more than Hell Night, but that being said, this is a terrific horror film. It's hard to categorize this film and it's not too gory, but has it's very creepy moments.

18. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Snowbeast323 didn't say it was better. He just said it was his favourite movie with Linda Blair. I definitely consider The Exorcist to be of a higher caliber than Hell Night, but I enjoy Hell Night much more, hands down. The Exorcist just isn't an energetic thrill ride in the same way.

19. I REALLY tried to get into this one, as I own the Anchor Bay disc, and am a big fan of Mrs. Blair's post-Exercist exploitation roles (with Night Patrol and of course, Savage Streets, being my favorites). But even as big time old school Slasher & Giallo buff, this didn't really entertain me much, personally.

Ah well; to each they're own.

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

fair enough, to be sure...but honestly, i meant favorite as well as best. anyway, all three are great films imo.