Hell Night

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by rhett, May 12, 2002.

1. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

I can see why people liked this one, but I was pretty let down. It had its moments, but it just didn't "thrill" me. A film I would compare this one to would be "The Funhouse", which I enjoyed quite a bit (if that comparison makes any sense. I find them to be similar in tone.)

2. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

classic slasher IMO. i really love this one, Linda is awesome in it, really atmospheric and pretty scary. It has some good jumps too, lol the first time i saw it, i acutally screamed at the part when shes driving away and the monster appears on top....it scared the hell out of me :D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

A fun one,it pushes atmosphere over gore and has a nervy finale.Linda was pretty fetchinging in her costume,almost looked like she strolled out of an old Hammer film.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

One of my favorite things about the movie. An unintended result of that is that the movie seems less "80s-ish", and holds up better than many other films from the era. Look at Halloween, with the big bell-bottoms, or Friday the 13th with the guys all wearing very short-shorts.

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Agreed.The fact that they are in costume actually gives it a timeless quality rather than looking "of it's time" due to dated fashions.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You know, I watched this last night. First time in anamorphic, for me, and it really looks great. I especially love the "soft" look, in the scenes with Linda Blair and Peter Barton in that room as they get to know each other. It's really a very well-shot film from beginning to end.

7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    This still bothers me when watching the DVD. No reviews online have made mention of this. It's mainly in the scenes where Marty and Jeff are escaping the underground lair and during Marty's run through the gardens. A few prior scenes have this as well.

8. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

this was shot between november and december of 1980...

9. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Just received a copy of the Double Feature DVD of Hell Night and Fade to Black Brand New for $12 from an eBay seller. It has all the proper UPC's, seals and actually has a "KMart 9.99" sticker on the front - SCORE :D

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

As soon as I read that, I rushed to e-bay. No luck. :(

Never seen Fade To Black, always wanted to though. I still own Hell Night on VHS.

Great find, Mutilated Prey.

11. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Yeah, the seller I got it from has a ridiculously high score with a decent amount of negative feedback. It's apparent they just turn around massive amounts of movies, CD's and books as quick as possible without really doing the research. Right place at the right time luck for me I guess. I was definitely worried it would either never show up or be used/damaged. The other weird thing was it came in an Amazon box :confused:

12. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

Great to see these ancient threads resurrected! I remember seeing this on VHS about 20 years ago, and just discovered after running DVDProfiler that I bought the R2 SE disc in 2008 but have never even unwrapped it.

Watching the film tonight, that's for sure!

13. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

This really needs a Blu-Ray release, Anyone know who has the rights now, Still AB ??

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Hey guys,

I know there were a few people on here looking for a copy. I happened to come across a sealed copy and am looking to sell or trade it.

If you are interested, send me a pm.

Here's the thread I started.

http://www.horrordigital.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?threadid=42712

I'm surprised no one has shown any interest in it yet. Might have to just sell it on eBay although I would prefer someone on here to get it.

Thanks!

15. Franco

Franco Weekender

Do you know what's keeping this classic and well known slasher from reaching the HD media?

16. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Wasn't this one of those titles that was swooped up in the Image "Midnight Whatever" thing (Madness?)?

17. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

No, I don't think so.

Amazon is selling it as a burnt DVD-R. The studio is listed as Anchor Bay, but I wasn't aware they were doing DVD-Rs now.

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I was at the Scream Factory panel at Comic Con in July, and I asked if they were releasing it (even knowing that if they were, they couldn't say anything until it was "official", as announcing it at a con Q&A is the same as an official announcement nowadays), and they definitively said no.

So if it is coming on Blu, it sure as hell won't be Scream Factory.

Although after I asked my question, one of the SF reps mentioned how much he loved the movie too, and then said that Peter Barton had bought the mansion the movie was filmed at, and immediately had it demolished. Of course, that's total BS as the mansion where it was filmed is a multi-million dollar museum outside of LA. And it's still available for weddings and special events. Only thing I can think the SF guy was talking about was where the interiors of the film were shot.

19. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I would've thought Trancas International Films to be the company who licensed the film to Anchor Bay, along with Fade to Black, Halloween, Halloween 4 and Halloween 5, but have never gotten a confirmation or denial to say otherwise. Scream Factory usually responds that they've been unable to determine who has the rights.

Edit: Apparently Trancas is not the licensor for Hell Night. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=6325259&postcount=480

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Cliff also denied Halloween 3 and Night of the Demons so hopefully they will one day pick this one up.