"Hello, Dolly!" Contest

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Mine is a tie between Child's Play and Puppet Master.

Child's Play because it was actually scary, unlike the sequels.

Puppet Master because it was one of my favorite Saturday night rentals to watch with my friends back when VHS was popular.

2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Bride of Chucky. I love the most of the Child's Play series, but this to me is the best. A clever script, great direction, and good performances completely revitalized the series before Seed of Chucky killed it.

3. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

Child's Play hands down. Child's Play was one of the first horror movies I grew up watching alongside A Nightmare On Elm Street 1 & 2. It had some scary moments here and there, and Chucky makes me laugh when he cusses out Karen Barclay. If I win this DVD, I'll be happy to get rid of that old barebones disc in an instant.

4. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Definitely Child's Play, the sequels sucked but the first remains a minor Horror classic.

5. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Child's Play for sure. Brad Dourif nails it as a hunk of plastic that manages to make you look under the bed for fear of your Achilles' Heel getting sliced. Yikes.

6. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Damn, I think I have to go for Child's Play as well. Chucky's got more character than most franchise killers, and the film itself is genuinely effective as a straight horror film. It made me a permanent member of the Brad Dourif fanclub, and for once I actually found the snot-nosed little kid protagonist likeable!

And with the exception of the AWFUL 3rd part, the sequels are all a lot of fun too.

7. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

Alright boils and ghouls, it's gotta be BLACK DEVIL DOLL FROM HELL hands down. Why?? It's freakin' bad ass! Not only does the doll have killer bad breath, but ties up and rapes it's owner - all the while spouting off foul mouthed obscenities!

8. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

BLACK DEVIL DOLL FROM HELL is such an enjoyable piece of smelly baddly made trash, you gotta love it.

9. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Lame as it is, I have to say the original Child's Play film. That film gave me nightmares as a kid, even though I had only seen that one scene with the babysitter and the hammer. When I finally revisited the film a few months ago, I was amazed at how good it actually was.

I had somehow expected it to be full of 80s cheese and lameness, yet still enjoyable, but it was just a really solid thriller that works perfectly today.

The 2nd one, however ... ugh. I never got past the first minutes of the 3rd film. Did enjoy the other two "sequels", though! :) But Child's Play for me, all the way!

10. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I haven't seen Child's Play in a while, so my vote goes with Dolls for now. It's a really fun, but dark and somewhat mean spirited movie. Love it! honorable mention goes to the story from Tales from the Hood where the KKK guy gets what he deserves.

11. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Black Devil Doll from Hell

There's no other doll-horror film like it, not by a long shot. The only other film that edges towards it in uniqueness is Pin. Yes, the Zuni episode of Trilogy of Terror is actually frightening, and Child's Play is iconic, and they are all better movies than Black Devil Doll from Hell. However, BDDfH is just so effortlessly outrageous and sleazy, both because of its content and its intent: the director seems to want to make an honest-to-christ morality tale, but with a load of exploitable skeezy sex, nudity, and unpleasantness.

The rest are largely just slasher films with dolls replacing the usual human maniacs.

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Sounds like I need to check out Black Devil Doll From Hell.
    Trilogy of Terror did scare me more, but I vote for Dolls as it's the most fun of any little plastic (or wood) people killing real people movie.

13. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

Child's Play is my favorite. I really don't like too many other "scary-doll" movies (although I have not seen Puppet Master). I think this has a good blend of comedy, some scares, and creepy overtones. Really a fun movie to watch. The sequels are not too good though...

14. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I'd have to say the original Puppet Master. That movie terrified me as a kid (especially the scene with the leeches). To this day it's sitting on my shelf and I'm still a little freaked out by it!

15. geeare

geeare Guest

Seed of Chucky...that's just some funny shit right there.

16. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I don't know how young I was when I first saw Child's Play, but I remember having a friend over for a sleepover, and he and I rode our bikes to the video store and picked this up on VHS.

It scared the hell out of us, and it also cracked us up. We kept rewinding the "I got shot. And it hurt like a sunovabitch!" moment and laughing. Then we had the brilliant idea to bring it over to a girls' house on a double-date, sure that it would make the girls clutch to us in fear. Well...they got scared, but ended up mad at us for renting such a twisted movie for our "date." No play thanks to Child's Play.

I rewatched this recently and found it even funnier than before, especially the scenes with Earnest Andy. Love that kid.

17. Agentsusp

Agentsusp Member

I have to go with Poltergeist. That freaking clown doll was down right terrifying.

Although technically the doll doesn't kill anyone, so I guess my answer is "Dolls"

18. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Dolls for me. It wins on atmosphere alone, and just seems to get better each time I watch it.

Almost voted for Tourist Trap though, but wasn't sure if that would count. I will save that one for the best killer mannequins poll.

19. incognito

incognito New Member

Tourist Trap (1979)

Yep.... I am 28 years old and the sight of mannequins STILL give me the creeps because of Tourist Trap. I watched this movie (probably by accident) when I was young and used to have nightmares. Out of curiosity I checked the film out about 3 years ago and it still holds up as an atmospheric low budget creep fest! And that sound that the mannequins make...... I can feel the hair behind my neck rise!

20. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

The Puppet Master movies.They kick ass because they can kill you and then be all cute to your girlfriend.Make any sense?