Hellraiser:Bloodlines

Discussion in 'General' started by spook, Feb 24, 2003.

1. spook

spook Guest

Watched this again last night and I've got to ask..what is so wrong with this film? Why is it considerd so crappy?
    I know that its a cut down version of the original concept but its still an inventive wee flick and the main players (with the possible exception of the LeMarchand guy) are all pretty good. Some great images, particularly the 'twins' cenobite and the ever present, enjoyable over the top lines that Pinhead gets....
    "Do I look like I care what GOD thinks!!"

2. puddytay

puddytay Guest

I will admit it wasnt as bad as part 3. But its second worse. I just thought it was slow and boring. But it wasnt that bad. This is how I would rate the films
    part 1: 4 starts
    part 2: 4 starts
    part 3: 1 1/2 stars horrible script horror lead actress
    part 4: 2 starts wasnt really that interesting
    part 5: 3 1/2 I really liked this movie different tho. It reminded me of the video game max payne.
    part 6: 3 1/2 I also really liked this flix but there were a couple of stupid cheesy parts that pissed me off that they were included in the film.

I cant wait for part 7

3. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I haven't seen Hellseeker yet, so I can't comment on it, but... Bloodlines is just plain horrible. I can't stand it. The flashbacks involving the construction of the box were interesting, but the rest is just plain bad. I like the first 3 equally, Part 4 is my least favorite, and I have no problems with Part 5.

4. PELOQUIN

PELOQUIN New Member

part 4 proove that having pinhead on the center stage too long is not that good for the franchise or the movie itself. hes more effective with very short apperences like in 1 or 2 or 5 and 6.:evil:
    but overall bloodline was the end of horror for the 90 wich began
    to suck big time. with inferno we have a new approche wich is better i think. i just hate movie makers thats thinks that the audience are complete idiots and then treats us like that the entire movie. the detail of inferno are perfect (story telling), you understand everything. no loose ends with never ending storys.:sleepy:

5. spook

spook Guest

Well Bloodline had Angelique as a good character and she had a fair amount of screen time. She sort of disappeared at the end but i guess that was due to the final internal squabbling that ended in the alterations.
    I just don't see what people think is so positive about HELLSEEKER. I enjoyed INFERNO, even if it was a pretty obvious JACOB'S LADDER clone. HELLSEEKER though was just the same thing again and not really that good. It was it shot well and looked good but it wasn't a HELLRAISER movie. It would be nice to see things edge back to what the original concept was all about. The director of HELLSEEKER seemed pretty open about not wanting to put in too much that would just be for HELLRAISER fans. That can't be a good direction! Where are they going with the next one. Pinhead has a change of heart and helps a little girl find her lost puppy!!!

6. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

For me nothing is ever going to top the first 2 films in this series. Hell On Earth was pretty shitty. Bloodline was nothing to brag about, but it was still a decent sequel. Inferno is the bastard child of the series. Just a horrid mishmosh of crap. Havent seen Hellseeker yet, but I dont hold out any hope that its not going to suck.

7. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate New Member

Hellseeker wasn't that bad. It's worth a rental.

8. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

It's BLOODLINE, not Bloodlines. Angelique should have definately have been a recurring character in the series after this one.

There's a number of possible excuses as to why it's inferior to the others, and the debate has raged on. Usually the blame's pointed as Disney for interfering with the production once they took over Dimension films while it was still filming. Personally, I put the blame on a shit director and producer. Some of the casting was dreadful (Jaques in particular), and it was terribly made, looking like a TV movie. But, the story's good, and it's quite an achievement when you consider it wa sshot on the same budget as the first (Less if you take inflation into account).

I got more tolerant of this movie in time.

9. dmeister

dmeister New Member

These movies just get cheesier and cheesier. Now, they're straight to video. Soon, they'll probably be shot on video. I actually fell asleep at the theater during Bloodline, which I was only at because nothing else was playing and I was bored. I rented the last two, just for the sake of completeness, knowing that it would be a waste of $5.

I really don't care about the $5 now, but boy I sure wish I had those 4 hours of my life back...

The first one (Hellraiser) was pretty good. The second one (Hellbound) was even a little better (though Barker didn't direct it). After that, the franchise starts the death spiral.

dmeister

10. David666

David666 Guest

Hellraiser, without any doubt in my mind, raised the bar for horror films. It was highly original, well cast and directed with every ounce of creativity a fledgling director had and considering his limited budget he puled off a marvelous job. There is simply nothing like it, and there never will be. It transcends pain, pleasure and blurs the lines of both. Ultimatly its about obsession and the depths of depravity someone will go in order to get what he, or more aptly she covets the most. 5 out of 5 stars.

Part two takes us to the very depths of hell and confronts us with a non-stop parade of horrific images the likes of which were merely hinted at in the first one. Simply, brilliant. 4 stars

Part three, however, was a slide in the wrong direction. I loved the backstory on Pinhead and the fact that he did, indeed, have some amount of humanity there (as hinted at in Hellbound) even if he uses it in the end for his lamenting torment. His lines are still classic, the blood and gore are adequate... but this is simply too Americanized a sequel to truly hold up to the first two. 3 stars

Part 4 is not nearly as bad as many make it out to be. Clearly there was some behind the scenes squabbling that went on and that unfortunatly comes across in the final film. The background on the box is fantastic!!! It is fascinating as well, with enough gore and grue to splash around 20 other horror film sets. The time shifts, which isn't a bad thing... but there is clearly something missing and this is probably why the director took his name off the project. The finale in space, though a bit off considering the series, is fascinating... or at least was so for me. I loved it.
    3 stars

Part 5 was a mismash of several other films, namely as someone pointed out... Jacob's Ladder, but a few others are there too (Bad Lt. etc). This simply is NOT a Hellraiser film, its too shallow... far too mainstream and infinatly more insulting then anything Kevin Williamson could come up with. Suffice it to say, what most people think about Scream I think about Inferno. 1 star

Hellseeker was a rip-off of Carnival of Souls to the very core, and clearly unapologetically so. The script and directing doesn't hide that fact at all. There wasn't even so much as an original idea in the whole thing!!! It looks cheap with a dim, narrow color palet that someone over at Dimention thinks passes for art direction (just like the Children of the Corn series is getting). When Clive Barker was STUPIDLY removed from his executive producer position this series went down the toilet. 1 star

The next two films are only gearing up to be even worse then Hellseeker or Inferno. I don't want a rip off of the first film or another decent into Hell... but I would like for these people to stay with the mythos... they were developed well enough that there is no need to reinvent it or ignore it to create a worthy sequel... it just takes someone with imagination and creativity. I know that is lacking in Hollywood, but there are people outside that arena with the guts, balls and brains to do it. If only someon at DIsney has the intelligence to seek them out.

11. PELOQUIN

PELOQUIN New Member

kick ass thread David that sums it up quite good bro!

12. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

I thouroughly disagree with David's comments on 5 & 6. much better made than the previous sequels. Both are original despite the mild similarlity to other movies. INFERNO was written after the screenwriters read the original novella, and based a lot of the film on ideas from the book that never made it into the series previously. It's far from an insult, and in some respect has more of the mood of the original novel that even the first film. INFERNO was planned as a small story away from the 'political/power seeking' elements that the series had evolved into formerly. It was designed to show the fanbase an account of a man solving the box and going to hell (his obsession this time being about catching a killer instead of the usual sex from previous films) without all the escapes and deals etc. In this it succeeded very well.

Hellseeker lacked tension, and the visual effect is a skip-bleach process which was also used on films like BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF and STIGMATA. Bit sick of the effect myself, and it didn't do me any favours. But the story is good, and it has a good twist ending. *SPOILER ALLERT:* How many horror sequels do you come across where the series' former heroine turns out to be the a murderess? How much more original can you get than that?

5 and 6 are a definate return form for me. They seem to continually divide the fanbase, but I'm fully supporting them!

13. dmeister

dmeister New Member

I think you've been taking the dialogue from the movie just a little too seriously. ;)

I'm sure they were only "hinted at" because Barker could've come up with something a little more creative than a maze with a foglight stuck in the center. And who exactly was the "Lord of the Labyrinth," anyway???

Hellraiser in Space... It was bound to happen sooner or later. If you can put Jason and a leprechaun in space to squeeze a few more dollars out of a defunct franchise, why not a couple of cenobites?

And what wasn't there to love about part 3, which introduced us to new, terrifying cenobites, like "Camera-Head" and "CD-Man."

I read Barker's The Hellbound Heart, and enjoyed it, but I couldn't stand part 5 (or 3, 4, and 6, for that matter).

dmeister

14. PELOQUIN

PELOQUIN New Member

atleast the hellraiser sequel are trying to redo redo over an over till nothing is left then to do an upgrade on the villain like a new look bigger muscular structure etc. they stick to the fact of hell and the threshold(the box) thats unique in my opinion. and its quite interesting to that we have a mutitude of unopen doors that may be able to follow time without selling out!

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

This workprint has been floating around for awhile, though I never sought it out. I've never seen a workprint that looked good, so I'm keeping my expectations low for this.

This is the kind of thing Shout would have as an extra. I really hope they get the distribution rights to the sequels one day.

18. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

I hope! The original workprint is highly superior to the theatrical version.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Same here. I'm hoping for a Curse of Michael Myers situation where they can assemble a great looking print of it for bluray. The problem is that there's a bunch of VFX stuff that was never finished so I don't know what they'd do there. I also don't know if good materials exist for the workprint cut but I can always hope. Unlike Curse I think the theatrical cut of Bloodlines is still pretty decent.

Angelman likes this.
  20. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

It sounds like the workprint is a special feature and will be included in standard definition, only.

http://www.dvd-forum.at/news-detail...flage-von-hellraiser-4-bloodline-im-mediabook

It might be an error on Amazon's part, but if the advertised 82 minute runtime is correct and there are no cuts, it appears the theatrical cut will be 1080i50 with a 4% speed increase from 24 fps to 25 fps.

Lionsgate controls the US home video rights, for the time being. I think there's a fair chance of them releasing a special edition, either as part of the Vestron line or on it's own.

Katatonia and Buechlers_beard like this.