Help! Vincent Price Recommendations please

Discussion in 'Classic' started by 4Gotten1, Jun 20, 2005.

1. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

Sadly, the last Vincent Price movie I saw was many years ago on "Elvira". I think it was The Fall of the House of Usher. I'm really into old Hammer films & typical Universal stuff and can't get enough of anything by Mario Bava. But my Vincent Price / MGM library lacks. I'm always seeing the MGM Midnight Movie double features of films like:
    Theater of Blood / Madhouse
    The Fall of the House of Usher / The Pit and the Pendulum
    The Masque of the Red Death / The Premature Burial
    The Haunted Palace / The Tower of London
    The Abominable Dr. Phibes / Dr. Phibes Rises Again
    The Comedy Of Terrors / The Raven
    And so on...........

I'm interested in buying one or two of these disks to start. I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to start. What do you like? Dislike?

2. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

The Dr. Phibes films are a lot of fun....as good a place to start as any, I think.

3. Luna

Luna Guest

The Masque of the Red Death is my choice out of the ones you listed, though really, you can't go wrong with Mr. Price. :)

Oops, I pasted the wrong one from your list before! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2005
  4. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

I'll second the Doctor Phibes recommendation. All those titles are pretty fun. I'd also recommend the Scream and Scream Again / Oblong Box Midnite Movies disc.

5. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

Forgot to mention, Last Man on Earth is probably Price's best movie and it's on a MM double-feature disc. Get it!

6. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I think Masque of the Red Death is the best film he's done, so you should definitely give that one a go.

7. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

The Last Man on Earth is my personal favorite VP flick, but you can't go wrong with either of the Phibes flicks. Another one to consider, if you like campy horror, is The Monster Club.

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with any of the Vinnie movies from the MM collection. Grab whichever ones you find first. Judging from your tastes you won't be disappointed no matter which ones you choose.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Masque of the Red Death and Witchfinder General are his two best films IMO.

10. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Masque of the Red Death is outstanding...a real visual treat to the eyes...and a good, strong story as well.

11. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

If you can find it there is a great cheap dvd of the last man on Earth and the house on haunted hill. That would be a perfect introduction to the great Mr. Price.

12. onebyone

onebyone Guest

It isn't a MGM Midnite Movie, but it is worth your while to find The Tingler if you like that kind of thing. It is one of my favorite Vincent movies. It is great campy goodness. I only wish I could see it at a theater with the effects hooked up. You know, like the movie Popcorn, without the crazed killer.

13. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Make sure you pick up the version says WIDESCREEN in a red banner on top of the cover. That one has a nice 2.35/1 print of LMOE, as opposed to the pan & scan print used on the first Diamond release. Haunted Hill looks great too, probably ported over from the WB Laser Disc.

14. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

Keeping in mind that I think that Price is the greatest horror actor ever, I recommend almost every film he was in. My personal favorites out of the bunch are Theater of Blood, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Dr. Phibes movies, Madhouse, and House on Haunted Hill. Go out and buy the one that looks good to you right away.

15. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

Great recommendations and advice. I feel a bit more confident now that I've heard much positive feedback. I'll certainly weight it all as I'm standing in Best Buy scratching my head! Seriously though, I'm looking forward to my first viewing. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I have yet to see Price in a truly bad movie. All of the MGM Midnight Movies with Price are great...always entertaining!

17. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I don't think theres a loser in the whole bunch you listed.The PHIBES films and THEATRE are terrific,stylish and wickedly funny.Theres a lot to love in his William Castle pics as well,THE TINGLER is out through Columbia I think,and Warner's has a nice HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL too.If you're multi regional THE WITCHFINDER GENERAL is one of Price's darkest,non camp pictures,it's out in region 2.As to the Poe's MASQUE is gorgeous to look at.Truly one of the great men of the genre,Vincent Price !

18. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

Vincent Price's magnum opus is the Original HOUSE OF WAX, and from the Midnite Movies collection, there is one that is called "AN EVENING OF EDGAR ALLAN POE/TOMB OF LIGIEA" The "Evening of..." has Vincent reading several E.A.P. stories and is quite good. I recommend highly. LIGIEA is not to bad, surprisingly my wife liked it, and she is not a genre fan at all.

19. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I'd definately say the Dr. Phibes movies are at the top, but for actual Price performance, you can't go wrong with Haunted Palace, Evening of Edgar Allan Poe or Tales of Terror.

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I'd go with the Corman Poe pictures, any of them really (Pit and Pendulum is really good). Otherwise, House on Haunted Hill is pretty damn good. The Bat is good, but I've not seen a decent version of that, so it's something to be avoided.

Price is very good, though I wouldn't place him as the "best" horror actor due to his incessant campness. I never really take him too seriously in any role. As I say, he's very very good though, and the Corman Poe films are cheap two-fers which offer great value for money.