Help! Vincent Price Recommendations please

Discussion in 'Classic' started by 4Gotten1, Jun 20, 2005.

1. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

Well, I checked out my first two Price films this weekend. Upon making my selection at Best Buy, the choices were slim pickin's (this guy Price Is popular!), just two weeks ago they had a shitload of stuff. Anyway, I purchased the MGM two-fer of Theatre of Blood and Madhouse, because they simply looked like they would be up my ally. Although I enjoyed them both, I'd say my favorite of the two was Madhouse. In fact, I really liked Madhouse quite a bit, after having time to absorb it, I definitely had the Dr. Death character on the brain, plus I noticed that there were a couple of actors from the Hammer films, including the great Peter Cushing, so I was feeling right at home.

Theatre of Blood was a great story, with some nice touches of campiness. Price was over the top in many scenes as the actor shunned and denied by the critics, adding a nice touch of melodrama to an incredibly tortured, melodramatic character. I also liked the back story of the homeless crew, without giving anything away.

If I could afford it, I'd go out and buy a handful of Price films, but since I can't right now, I'll take it one week at a time. Next I'm considering Abominable Dr. Phibes / Dr. Phibes Rises Again because of the many recommendations. I'm interested in something "Poe" as well like Pit and the Pendulum. Damn I was also checking out The Oblong Box / Scream and Scream Again which looked pretty good. And something older like The Last Man on Earth. They all look pretty good, when you get right down to it.

On a non-Price note, I've also been eying the MGM Midnight Movie of Count Yorga Vampire / Return of Count Yorga. All in good time, I suppose...